Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 AM   #1

Default I take everything but the kitchen sink

RE:Post what tools do I take w/me on a trip
I take everything but the kitchen sink,Well not exactly,but close.
Spare water pump,electrical tools,basic wrenches sockets,bulbs,fuses
2 spares tires (try getting one when you have one or two blowouts. , two different "tow" service cards. 5 gal extra water 1-5 gal extra gas, MRE type food for 1 week ,Potassium iodine,CB,cp,gps, two way radios,Short wave radio,lots of batteries. 2 rheostat batterypowered lanterns, 2.2 kw portable generator,2 spare tires,2- 12 v batteries,flat can and flat plugs,battery tools and extras clamps nuts etc.,2 qts oil,funnels, 2 pipe wrenches (when towing 4x4 pu). Cable attached to hydraulic feet incase of blow outs. (tears off feet and springs and scatters parts down the road or off the road to be lost or run over and ruined,so small diameter cables secure them. Hydraulic jack and blocks. windshield calk,since some class A's twist when taken on steep angles and may loosen or start to pop winshields out.
Oh theres a little more,mabe later. My Class A carries most of this,since it has lots of storage bins etc,but my tow pickup can carry what it doesnt.
My class B tows the pickup ,a small Isuzu 4x4,which holds all of it.
8-10 mpg

01 Rexhal Class A V10 32 ft 2 slides
10-11 mpg
(not cramped)
E-250 4x4 vancmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

While I don't even have all that stuff ay my home there is no way I can fit it in my B.
What is Potassium Iodine for?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #3

Default potassium iodine

If there were ever any minor radioactive device detonated ,cancer of the thyroid would be the first complication if one were near or downwind. The pills are easy to get,keep and take. Real cheap and easy insurance justin case.
You could use any iodine liquid by applying it topically,but it would have to be a daily administration.
I dont go so far with the radioactive issue it to be a hassle.

ADDITION to my original post list:
I take a box of mres(dehydrated food) that will last 1 0r 2 mo. incase they are needed. Water purifying tablets and filter system. All for Breakdowns or whatever out in the boonies,etc.

These items take very little room in my Econoline Camper.
They fit in nooks and cranies. It would be alot harder to do this with 2 people.
It is a hassel getting them together ,but once theyre on board I dont remove them and theyre out of site.
The small back up generator ,is the only item that cant be hidden,but I just turn the passenger seat 180 degrees and it fits behind the seat where the passengers feet would have been. 12 ft 9 guage jumpers are coiled on top and wrapped.
A couple larger personal items are in the upper sleeping area and thats it. I dont have any exterior racks or storage pods and dont need any....yet!

I learned this all the hard way. I started with 36 ft class A back in 96. I lived in it for two years travling to different jobs each lasting about a month each.
Between contracts Sometimes I would take big side trips for R&R and go deep into the mountains(for an RV) 1-2 hr on 1 lane old logging dirt roads,or out in Nevada like HighRock or Black rock desert . i might stay a week or so dry camping. When you take those issues in to account,I found they were extremely valuable.
It was easier to carry the tools , parts & equipment I might need and do it the repair myself than be at the mercy of others,especially in remote areas. The tow cards I only use when I have no choice. And they did get used . One card is a minimum,2 is good. I still use the cards and my emergency list of stuff with my newer (2001) class A but not very often.
8-10 mpg

01 Rexhal Class A V10 32 ft 2 slides
10-11 mpg
(not cramped)
E-250 4x4 vancmpr is offline   Reply With Quote