Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #1

Default My "Tool Box"

I carry a platic Battery box with all my tools. Everytime I see a "universal" tool I buy it and put it in my box. When it says one size fits all, I buy it and it goes in the box. That way I don't carry a lot of tools put have just about everything I need. Including my roll of hundred mile hour tape (Duct Tape).
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: My "Tool Box"

Hay, I probably have some of the same tools you do for the same reason but depending on what degree of repairs you would attempt to do some of the one size fits all, won't fit in the area you are working on. You might want to go over many repair issues and see if you would be able to do the job with the tools you have. It seems sometimes there is no replacement for a good proper fitting wrench as they can fit in places better and not slip as easy. I gave up on the multi fit screwdrivers over twenty years ago as way to many times they were just to fat to fit in and get a good grip. As Murphy's law also states "if your prepared for something, it won't happen"
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I, too, have been down the "universal tool" route, without a lot of satisfaction, probably because I work with good, job specific tools every day. When it came time to stock our Roadtrek with tools, I decided I didn't need high quality tools like Snap-on, but I did need a good variety. I do nearly all our repairs and mods on everything we own, so wide range was important. I finally just went to Harbor Freight and bought what I wanted. Sockets, Allen wrenches, Torx stuff, hammer, crescents, pliers, etc. Pretty much a full tool set, but cheap stuff that may, or may not, ever be used. I got rid of all the packaging and trays for the sockets, and such, and put them in a canvas tool bag which takes about 1/3 the space of a box. Tucked it into the back of one of the bed bolsters in our Roadtrek C190P, and hope I never need to get them out.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #4

Being a retired "Wrench" and old racer. I have a shop full of tools (Snap On- Mac etc.) But when you're on the road, I don't plan on doing major work on my Class B. I just need to get to the next town or what ever. So the Universal set up is perfect for me.
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I'm not mechanically oriented and don't do much work on my vehicles (except the electronics). I need to start putting together a tool box for my newly purchased (and soon to arrive) Roadtrek Agile. I want to be prepared to handle little things to get me to the next town or tighten hinges on a cabinet - nothing major.

What tools would you experienced folks recommend?
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

From memory........ I carry:

Some wire - Mike gave me the idea - wire is handy to secure a loose or dangling part
Duct tape - if you can't secure it with wire (like a window pane) then duct (or duck?) tape will come in handy
Silicone tape - the self-sealing stretchy stuff that might let me temporarily repair a hose
Multi bit screw driver
Vice grip pliers
Needle nose / cutting pliers
Socket for lug nuts
Socket for water heater anode rod
A few commonly used sockets
Socket extension
Ratchet
Breaker bar
Spare fuses
Spare batteries
Spare light bulbs
Hex key or Allen key for TV mount tightening
Hex keys or Allen keys needed for our bikes
Two inner tubes for our bikes
Small ax / hammer
Utility knife
Jack

It all fits (except the jack and breaker bar) in a small Black & Decker nylon tool bag.

A multi bit screw driver is good to have. You'll need #1 & #2 Robertson (square) bits as those screw heads are found in Class B vans.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks for the list. I can see a trip to the hardware store in my future.

Regarding sockets, I'm presuming metric. Any SAE sizes in there?
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
I, too, have been down the "universal tool" route, without a lot of satisfaction, probably because I work with good, job specific tools every day. When it came time to stock our Roadtrek with tools, I decided I didn't need high quality tools like Snap-on, but I did need a good variety. I do nearly all our repairs and mods on everything we own, so wide range was important. I finally just went to Harbor Freight and bought what I wanted. Sockets, Allen wrenches, Torx stuff, hammer, crescents, pliers, etc. Pretty much a full tool set, but cheap stuff that may, or may not, ever be used. I got rid of all the packaging and trays for the sockets, and such, and put them in a canvas tool bag which takes about 1/3 the space of a box. Tucked it into the back of one of the bed bolsters in our Roadtrek C190P, and hope I never need to get them out.
I actually carry a universal tool kit that has a multitude of tools from small sockets and drives to pliers and screwdrivers. My wife bought it years ago when she needed a good universal tool kit for household stuff, but a lot of it also works for automotive as well. I mention this because Harbor Freight is where I added some heavier duty stuff like a 1/2" drive breaker bar and torque wrenches, and some other big job stuff. Harbor Freight rocks for decent but inexpensive tools.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #9
Platinum Member

When I say universal tools, I mean the one size fits all sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc, not a kit with regular tools in it. A universal kit that contains real wrenches and sockets is a good and inexpensive way to get what you need. I think the only thing I would do with one of the universal sets, that usually come in a plastic case with a spot for everything, is throw out the case. You can get the components in a bag 1/5 the size of the case. The most likely tool to be used for us?---tire plug kit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Site Team

I think something like this

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evolv-10 ... ockType=G7

is about right, augmented by a few vehicle-specific tools such as large sockets for water heater, torx socket set for Sprinter stuff, etc.

Those kinds of sets are frequently put on sale at steep discounts. Even at list price, they are vastly cheaper than the cost of individual tools.
--Pete
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
When I say universal tools, I mean the one size fits all sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc, not a kit with regular tools in it. A universal kit that contains real wrenches and sockets is a good and inexpensive way to get what you need. I think the only thing I would do with one of the universal sets, that usually come in a plastic case with a spot for everything, is throw out the case. You can get the components in a bag 1/5 the size of the case. The most likely tool to be used for us?---tire plug kit.
The case for the one we have is only about the footprint of a 14" laptop but about twice the thickness, and it fits under the bed in the back, on top of the spare tire. I keep some of the other stuff, like a deep wall socket set and some bungee cords in a bag back there, too. Neither takes up much space. In fact, we seem to travel so light these days, we usually have empty space all over our van, inside and out. It wasn't always that way, but that was part of the learning curve. Minimalist cargo, for a minimalist RV.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
Silver Member

Was looking for an article on this subject and like the expression from Mike "a minimalist cargo, for a minimalist RV." Have the Sears 101 tool kit, vise grip(s), and multi-screw driver.

We have been full time RV'ers for nine years in TT and 5th wheels (we are keeping the 5th wheel as our go-to vehicle for trips in the mountain west where we might set up for a long time and for family trips). It is quite a down-sizing to go to a 2002 Roadtrek 190.

A fifth wheel used for boondocking will need repairs on the road. Nearly took a 235 W solar panel off driving on "more interesting" roads between Tulum and Izamal, Yucatan. Was glad I had saw, 120 V drill (we have approximately 9 kW-hrs of LFP batteries and a 4 kW PSWI) and assorted other tools to do repairs. Travel in 5th wheel does require lots of: Gorilla Glue, Gorilla Tape, bungie cords and tie-down straps. Will not need all this stuff with the Roadtrek, we hope.

Loved the line from one poster "As Murphy's law also states "if your prepared for something, it won't happen""
Reed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Tools for the road

Hi.
I have a 1997 RT 190p,which I love!
A carry a pretty decent tool box . Never want to be helpless in the middle of no where.
Just a word of warning.
Becareful using inexpensive wrenches and sockets.
Many are not sized exactly.......and will round off a bolt or nut in a heartbeat.
Then you are in trouble.
I usually stick with craftsman for the wrenches and sockets in this box.Snapon at work in the body shop .
If you decide to buy cheaper wrenches and sockets. Check them for proper fit before packing them in your box. Some cheaper tool makes are fine,others are cheaper because they are junk.
Just my two cents,work on cars every single day. And have made more than my share of mistakes .
But on the side of the road or in the boonies....I need my tools to do the job.
Cheers
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote