Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Onan MicroLite RV Generators

Onan MicroLite RV Generators - owner manuals, spec sheets and service diagrams are available at this link:

http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/support/literature/

(link above updated Jan 2009)

Downloads: (right click, save as....)

RV Generator Load Management Basics

Onan Owner's Handbook

MicroLite 2500 LP Specifications

MicroLite 2800 Specifications
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Silver Member

Marco, are you thinking of grabing one of these. Probably beat the hell out of recharging with the V8. Interesting propane models, wonder how long a tank lasts? Convert it to natural gas for home use.

I was thinking of getting some type of straight 12volt genset. Just use an inverter for the fridge and TV, and run the genset 2-3 times a day to charge the batteries. Probably save a lot of idle fuel. But than again, I'm not running an AC.
paulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I got a couple of rough estimates from dealers here. I remember $3,500......... I won't get one.

Most Roadtrek vans like mine come with a built in Onan Generator. Mine has the fuel line for it in place already. Out here where I am I haven't needed to run an air conditioner. I run my microwave oven off an inverter.

Next time I go down to the US I'll look for a good price on a Honda EU2001I to run my air conditioner for future trips south.

A built in Onan would be more convenient than a portable Honda but I just wouldn't need to use it enough to justify the cost.

Paul, take a look a Honda EU1000iA2:

Engine: 1.8 HP, Single Cylinder,
Overhead Valve, Air Cooled
Displacement: 50 cc
AC Output: 120V
1000W max.(8.3A)
900W rated (7.5A)
Receptacles: 15A 125V Duplex
NEMA Plug Number: 5-15P
DC Output: 12V, 96W (8A)
Starting System: Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity: 0.6 gallons
Run Time on One Tankful: 3.8 hrs. @ rated
load--8.3 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H): 17.7" x 9.4" x 15.0"
Noise Level: 59 dB @ rated load
53 dB @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight: 29 lbs.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I think I'd have to go for the 2000.......

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Silver Member

Noticed Wal-Mart has a genset on for $150 CDN.

Two-stoke so a little noisey, but portable and small. 1000 watt AC, 10amp 12 VDC.

I'm really looking for a straight 12volt four-stroke genset. Just want to quickly recharge the batteries, then shut down (why idle waiting for the next load). Using inverters off the batteries....
paulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:57 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I found this on Leisure Time RV's website

http://www.leisuretimerv.com/

Here are a few helpful hints to ensure satisfactory performance of your Onan MicroLite generator.

• The main 12 volt battery switch at the monitor panel must be in the on position before generator startup. This will ensure ongoing charge to the auxiliary battery.

• Be aware, the fuel pick up for the generator is set at the Ό level (approximate) of your gasoline tank.

• Your generator should provide adequate power for operating the A/C and microwave oven at the same time, provided the A/C is started first.

• The generator must be exercised (operate under load by running the AC) for at least 2 hours monthly. Lack of exercise can cause moisture build up and fuel system damage (varnishing) that make the generator run poorly.

• If you frequently travel at high altitudes or in extreme temperatures, be aware that your generator can lose power in low density air caused by such conditions. Gasoline generators can be adjusted for high altitude by Onan certified service dealers.

• It’s a good practice to check the oil frequently, or every 8 hours of operating time since the engine can shut down with improper oil levels. Do not check the oil level when the generator is running.

• The propane fueled generator (Roadtrek RS Adventurous model) does not have the same exercising demand or altitude adjustment. Avoid starting the generator while the vehicle engine is running. This (DC) load could trip the fuse in the auto battery circuit if charge demand is high.

• For propane fuel supply, always open the supply valve at the tank slowly to prevent the safety shut off from being activated.

• Onan has an official handbook which details generator operation, maintenance and troubleshooting, safety precautions, winter storage and more. These handbooks are available at Onan certified service dealers or see www.funroads.com

HELP FROM HOME.
by Ben Spengen
Service Warranty &
Parts Manager
Home & Park Motorhomes

http://www.leisuretimerv.com

TIMERV @ AOL.COM
Old 12-24-2009, 03:09 AM   #8

Default Re: Onan MicroLite RV Generators

My Falcon was sold new with the generator option but the prior owner did not like the maintenance so she had it removed and a second coach battery installed in its place. I got tired of drained batteries after a couple of days of camping so I started looking for used microlites. I finally found one in good shape and installed it myself using all the original connections. This was very cost effective, the used microlite with 100 hours cost me $450 US. I now have power to run the roof air and everthing else. Craigslists lists is the way to go.

Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Watch out!!!!! Last week when I checked the oil in my Microlite, as I wiped the little stick, it broke off!! Luckily outside the engine! It was totally brittle. I got another one at local Onan dealer for $5.50 . May be good for you to replace yours if genset is older...? Mine is 13 yrs old.
Just a heads up!
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
g1g
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezonit
Watch out!!!!! Last week when I checked the oil in my Microlite, as I wiped the little stick, it broke off!! Luckily outside the engine! It was totally brittle. I got another one at local Onan dealer for $5.50 . May be good for you to replace yours if genset is older...? Mine is 13 yrs old.
Just a heads up!

How many hours did you have on it? I'm thinking the heat from running may also be a factor.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

How many hours? 28. Twenty eight. 1996 genset. 14 years of sitting in oil would probably eat anything. I attribute it to a Arizona heat-- same thing has baked the graphics.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote