Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replace backup camera

I just put in a Stowaway2 cargo carrier on my 2015 190P and now I need a new backup camera... I'm on the road, and i'm looking for a simple (and quick) suggestions... i.e. Best buy ?? Anybody go that route ?? any recommendations ?? any stay-away-froms ?? Not looking for a DIY, willing to pay for installation..

Right now, I'm in Scranton PA at a Yankees minor league baseball game.. Headed to Cooperstown for the Hall of Fame weekend...
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
I just put in a Stowaway2 cargo carrier on my 2015 190P and now I need a new backup camera... I'm on the road, and i'm looking for a simple (and quick) suggestions... i.e. Best buy ?? Anybody go that route ?? any recommendations ?? any stay-away-froms ?? Not looking for a DIY, willing to pay for installation..

Right now, I'm in Scranton PA at a Yankees minor league baseball game.. Headed to Cooperstown for the Hall of Fame weekend...
Roadtrek's failure to relocate the back up camera on the Chevys is, to put it mildly, frustrating.

A good website for learning about the various after market resolutions is Tadi Brothers.

To make life easier you want to go for a wireless system with a digital format and infared capability for good night vision. To avoid excessive distortion, stay with a 120 degree field. The camera does require 12V which can be picked off a marker light conductor that is accessible through the AC screen.

Alternatively, you could mount the camera on the after end of the Stowaway and power it from the hitch power receptacle.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Found this topic from earlier this year.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...ions-8690.html

I'm supposing your backup camera is mounted on your license plate holder and therefore would be blocked by a carrier?

My Chevy-based Airstream Avenue has the rearview camera mounted high. It is adjustable so I tilted it up slightly so I can use it full time as a driving camera. It is still wide-angled enough to see down onto the spare tire so it still serves as a backup camera that would see anything close. A compromise for both uses, but a high-mounted camera with adjutsment can serve as both.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'm leaning towards going as easy install as i can for now... i only need something for backing up, and i try to do as little as possible of that.. So that would be something wireless mounted to the stowaway.. I'm fine if it goes to my android.. I don't need a separate monitor or sight lines, or recording, or h/d.. will wireless work with the 20 feet from the back of the stowaway to the dash ?
Down the road, i'll look into more h/d and wired solutions.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Cruising,

Tadi Brothers has good information, but their shopping cart sorta sucks..

I'm probably going to give this a shot:

https://smile.amazon.com/FOOKOO-Back...y&sr=8-16&th=1
Old 07-17-2019, 02:29 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Here's a youtube search for that model and here's what came up.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...r+View+Camera+

Check out the 11th result down. Scotty Kilmer is a hoot and fun to watch, even if you don't like the model he's reviewing.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I am very happy with this backup camera. I mounted the camera inside the back window.
7-Inch Touch Screen Backup Camera... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H77GYR4
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:22 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I ended up getting this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/FOOKOO-Back...y&sr=8-16&th=1

I had to drill an extra hole in the stowaway, and get new license plate screws to fit the length needed, but after installation, i downloaded the app from google play store, turned on the headlights (camera is wired to come on with the headlights), found the camera on wifi, and it popped the picture right up...

So, I'm happy with the simple solution for now... It leaves my regular camera intact for those weekend trips over the winter when i don't need the stowaway.