Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #1

Default Screen door

Hi, new camper van owner 03 Ford Econ. Looking to find a screen door option for van side and back doors. Any info appreciated.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Hi, new camper van owner 03 Ford Econ. Looking to find a screen door option for van side and back doors. Any info appreciated.
Most professionally made screens are expensive like Skreenz or Skeeterbeaters. You might want to modify a set of "As Seen on TV" magic screens for your doors, or you could consider just making screens for the windows (assuming you have the flip-out kind).

We usually camp in milder weather and run the a/c on shore power when the weather is hot, but find it comfortable on reasonably cool nights when opening the flip-out windows on our Chevy Express-based class b and runing the Maxxfan ceiling fan. We purchased Skeenz for the rear and side-door windows at a pricy $100 each, but they are well made, easy to use, and make a huge difference on "usability" of our van. And we feel more comfortable with the security of having the doors closed day and night.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

Hi
RV Custom Screen - ROLEF | Produits sur mesure pour véhicules
Rolef.ca
Nice people. Quality product. The great feature is the magnetic door closure.
All the best
Ted123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted123 View Post
Hi
RV Custom Screen - ROLEF | Produits sur mesure pour véhicules
Rolef.ca
Nice people. Quality product. The great feature is the magnetic door closure.
All the best
Very nice. But they are pricey as they all are.

Just a side note. For those of us on the Chevy Express chassis, the factory rear windows flip out (unlike on Sprinters and Promaster). That means smaller and cheaper screen alternatives to get additional rear ventilation. Sometimes that added bit of air from those rear flippers (along with the cross-ventilation of the lounge side windows) is just enough on warmer nights to make it comfortable while sleeping and running the Maxxfan.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
We have two Phantom retractable screen doors on our build. One at the side door slides side to side. One at the rear slides top to bottom. Both use magnetic catches, and both work well. This is the same door used by Midwest Vans (unless they've changed recently). Here's the link:
https://www.phantomscreens.com/retra...-door-screens/
VanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have modified (cut) 2 sets of the above-mentioned “As Seen on TV” Magnetic Screens..one for back, one for side door on my 2004 Pleasure Way..work great!!...you can get them anywhere, WalMart etc...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRicaS View Post
I have modified (cut) 2 sets of the above-mentioned “As Seen on TV” Magnetic Screens..one for back, one for side door on my 2004 Pleasure Way..work great!!...you can get them anywhere, WalMart etc...
Hey, NFRicaS. Would you have any details (pictures, measurements, or methods of attachment) on your screens? I have two Magic Screens sitting in their boxes from a year ago that I need to adapt for my '2012 Chevy Express. I believe the doors have not changed from your '2004 model year. Don't know where to start.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Hey, NFRicaS. Would you have any details (pictures, measurements, or methods of attachment) on your screens? I have two Magic Screens sitting in their boxes from a year ago that I need to adapt for my '2012 Chevy Express. I believe the doors have not changed from your '2004 model year. Don't know where to start.

Thanks.
Sure, will take pics as soon as I can, but they are attached with Velcro strips on sides of side door, and also Duct Tape for extra hold on the top of the side door..same with the one across the back doors, however, that screen is installed horizontally, so the magnets run all across both doors...did have to tape a couple of the magnets that kept popping open..I did do some cutting to fit, so duct taped some magnets along bottom of side door screen..tape is folded over magnets..
Old 06-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRicaS View Post
Sure, will take pics as soon as I can, but they are attached with Velcro strips on sides of side door, and also Duct Tape for extra hold on the top of the side door..same with the one across the back doors, however, that screen is installed horizontally, so the magnets run all across both doors...did have to tape a couple of the magnets that kept popping open..I did do some cutting to fit, so duct taped some magnets along bottom of side door screen..tape is folded over magnets..
Thanks. Was one set of screens enough for each pair of doors? As you can tell, I still need to unbox my Magic Screens.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:52 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Was one set of screens enough for each pair of doors? As you can tell, I still need to unbox my Magic Screens.
Yes, 1 for side door and 1 (installed horizontally) for the back doors...you should be all set. I had to cut out a little hole for screen to go over top latch..used black duct tape around it to keep it from raveling..will try to send pics tomorrow...
Old 06-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Hi, again..had surgery, so it was a bit of time getting back to you..sorry! Took some pics of the side door with some close ups of the bottom where I took magnets and “wrapped” them around duct tape..they stick to the back of the step..the top & side closures are a combo of Velcro and Duct Tape (Yes, it could be a bit neater) The back doors (installed horizontally) are not up right now, as I removed them last winter during my Big 12 Basketball �� Travels..might be able to post them soon..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9950B5C4-4ECA-48A7-A8A0-285DCE6B3FBD.jpg (194.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg B864E7FB-CFA6-4D38-B371-25D65483A28B.jpg (179.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg FE13EF1C-4CCC-4459-A4B3-68DA1E4EE812.jpg (599.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Ok, I guess surgery is a good excuse.

Thanks for the pics. I've found Gorilla Tape to be a good temporary (and sometimes permanent) fix for a variety of problems.