Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Shower Mat

There is a "spaghetti mat" shaped like a cat print intended for catching litter from cats' feet when they exit their box. Available for ~$10 from many places including Amazon and WalMart. Cut the "toes" off with scissors and the remaining pad makes a great shower mat. Feels good to the feet, does not hold moisture.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I know exactly what you're talking about - I saw those and thought that they might make nice wet bath mats.

I cut down a restaurant-grade rubber anti-fatigue mat to fit the irregular footprint of our wet bath (about $25 at Home Depot plus we are using a big scrap piece from the same mat to underlie our lithium batteries to provide some shock absorption). I noticed that sand and grit were being carried in on the feet and were wearing away the finish of the wet bath floor. With this device, grit falls through the holes and doesn't cause a problem. Blog post here.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
There is a "spaghetti mat" shaped like a cat print intended for catching litter from cats' feet when they exit their box. Available for ~$10 from many places including Amazon and WalMart. Cut the "toes" off with scissors and the remaining pad makes a great shower mat. Feels good to the feet, does not hold moisture.

Do you have a pix?

or a link?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We have been using the spaghetti mats for our outside mat (3X5) for many years. All the dirt goes through them, as well as the water, plus they don't get near as much condensation under them overnight, which can really make dirt stick to other mats when you are trying to pack up and leave in the morning.

We thought about using one inside also, but decided against it because if sand goes through it, it is almost guaranteed to get under the mat itself and grind away at the floor with every movement.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

these stuff?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

these stuff?

Yep, as long as they aren't the variant that has a solid skin on the bottom side.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I'm in the process of building a teak shower floor. I have to sand the boards smooth, radius the corners to fit and teak oil them Yet.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:54 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Does that stuff leave black scuff marks?

TIA,
Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

A few comments on posts above:

To date, our mat has not left scuff marks. We worried about that, and also the possibility of a shadow transfer from the black rubber, as the wet bath enclosure is porous in fine scale, especially where it was eroded by gritty shoes. If you've ever, for instance, set a container of colored liquid soap on a cheap plastic countertop and the soap dripped... what do they call that plastic substance from which they make builder-grade countertops... "faux marble" or "cultured marble" something... that stuff will stain from a wide variety of substances that come in contact with it, and it's a similar formulation to the overlay on the fiberglass wet bath. So we worried about that with the wet bath as well, but so far no problems have manifested. If we are storing the van for a prolonged period, especially during the hot summer months, we remove the wet bath mat "just in case" and we store it on top of the galley counter, which itself is covered by a piece of fitted shelf liner to protect it.

I did not go with the spaghetti mat despite preferring the appearance of it because I was afraid it would be too light and would slide around too much, thus exacerbating the grit / erosion issue on the wet bath floor. The restaurant-grade mat that I used is HEAVY. The sheer weight of it plus the fact that it's cut to fit the wet bath exactly means that it does not scoot around in the slightest.

Teak of course is very popular but I was turned off by the price. We could have built a teak mat ourselves, but we have had so many other projects going on with our Class B that I simply did not want to apportion my / our time that way. I got the restaurant mat, templated my wet bath floor using butcher paper, and then cut and installed the mat... the entire process probably took 2 or 3 hours, including research on where to buy a very heavy restaurant mat without paying an arm and a leg.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My teak is over 30 years old. I inherited it from my dad. When a Chris Craft plant closed in Fort Lauderdale he bought up their excess stock. I hauled as much as I could back to Minnesota and have been using it for projects for over 30 years now. I've just about exhausted the supply.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #11
Platinum Member

BBQ, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sroute-Cat-Li...tty+litter+mat

It does have a back so water/mud doesn't come up from underneath. Back is easily cleaned before storage.

This is not the in-the-rv-shower mat that is now being discussed. It is for outside showers. In public showers I put it just outside the shower in the dressing area.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm in the process of building a teak shower floor. I have to sand the boards smooth, radius the corners to fit and teak oil them Yet.

Great idea and beautiful, just like what is spec'd in a nice yacht!
CyclingCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post

This is not the in-the-rv-shower mat that is now being discussed. It is for outside showers. In public showers I put it just outside the shower in the dressing area.
That might have been my bad. I thought you cut it down to fit your wet bath. It did not occur to me that it might be for another shower area. I'm an old gym rat, and so I'm never without waterproof flip-flops for shower use, whether public or outdoor. In fact I created a special holder in our Class B just for my husband's and my shower shoes. A mat is not needed when shower shoes are used.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:42 AM   #14
Lou
Platinum Member

We use a clear sink mat, the kind where it is supposed to look like pebbles so it isn't a solid piece of plastic. On top of that we put a carpet sample. Any dirt stays on the carpet. When we shower we take both pieces out. After showering, we put the plastic mat back in until the floor is dry so you can use the bathroom without getting wet feet. Because the mat has suction cups and gaps, if necessary we could also put the carpet back right away and it doesn't slow the drying too much.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote