Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 AM   #1

Default Table top BBQ

I'm looking for a grill to take in my Roadtrek 190. It needs to be less than12" tall to fit in rear compartment. I want one that I can connect to my onboard propane, but most this size use the small bottles. Does anyone have experience with the RVQ grills? Since the models that use small bottles already have a regulator, they are not able to be used this way. Any advice?
RockingRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Table top BBQ

We use a small Magma grill, that we can fit in the side storage on our C190P, as we didn't want the smelly grill inside with us. It runs well on the Roadtrek propane, which is regulated to 15psi. Many other brands will not run well on the lower pressure, including most Coleman stuff, so you have to be careful what you get.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I've read that some people have managed to bypass or remove the built in regulator on some small grills. Not sure how easy or practical that might be. I expect we'll emulate booster's grill and stove options if I can find the exact make/model info on here. I know it's here somewhere.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The Great West Van Legend BBQ connection is ahead of the regulator for the van so the grill regulator still needs to be used. We use a two burner Coleman camp stove so that L shaped regulator connection used for bottles still has to be used. Our 12 ft. connection hose was designed for connecting at both ends. I bought it at Cabelas so it must be a common standard. The hose is a Mr. Heater, Inc. product.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I got one of these Biolite camp stove/grills. I think they are mainly for tent campers and hikers, but I thought it would be fun to try out and is definitely compact. I initially bought it to carry in my teardrop trailer, but it works well for my van adventures too.

http://biolitestove.com

I got the combo kit which included the stove, a pot/kettle, and the grill attachment.

Granted, it's not as convenient as a gas bottle grill, but it's something fun to do while you are camping and uses the local biomass (leaves/twigs/sticks) so you don't necessarily have to carry fuel. I have plenty of yard waste at the house, so I made up a bag of twigs to stuff in the van, just in case.

There are plenty of videos on the youtube showing this item in action, if you are interested.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We use an Olympian Grill by Camco. It is available with either a low pressure valve/hose assembly or a small cylinder regulator. There is also a canvas bag to contain the unit. It fits nicely under the rear power seat. It is perfectly satisfactory for us.

Just a thought, however, I originally got the hose and valve assembly, but after further consideration I ordered the small cylinder set up. The reason is that it is more versatile in that you can put it on a picnic table or other location without being tethered by a hose. I suppose that it depends on how much you will be using it, but for my usage the small cylinder is just fine and very convenient. I store the cylinders in the outside compartments on my Roadtrek 210P
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Those Biolite stoves look interesting. We have a wood chipper so I have often wondered how to make use of wood chips. Those Biolite stoves might work. Right now we put wood chips in muffin paper and seal and fuse with melted paraffin wax. They work great as fire starters for campfires in being compact to carry and long burning enough to get a fire started. There are wood pellet stoves as well. I don't know if wood chips would work with those.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Well, after my experiences on this current trip, I'm updating my recommendation on table top grills.

I got this Char Broil Grill 2 Go about 6 months ago, and it sat in the box while I played with some others.

I decided to take it on my trip to Florida and had an epiphany of sorts on grills.

Here is a link to the grill -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the link for a griddle accessory I bought to use on my van's stove top.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It fits perfectly in the Grill 2 Go and can travel inside it when you are underway.

This grill easily goes up to 650 degrees F. With it's boxy shape, it can be used as an oven or a camp stove. With the griddle accessory, you can bake your biscuits without issue. With a pizza stone or quarry tile, you can use it as a pizza oven!

It's boxy, but no so big it won't fit under a rear sofa. I put mine in my exterior storage box, as I expect such an item will get smelly over time.

I couldn't be happier with this little guy and recommend it. I've been able to toss a few items that I've been carrying because of a lack of an oven in my van.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:52 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I just ordered a Volcano 3. Lots of videos about them on Youtube. They run cool on the outside so are safe on a table.

They can use wood, propane or charcoal so it offers a lot of options.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I got this baby for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sense-Not.../dp/B001OC5PYY

It folds completely flat an inch thick. Giving it a try this weekend! We don't use the grill all that much in the RT, so this one will require me to carry a little bag of charcoal. That can't be all bad!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

We have this Coleman Roadtrip Table Top Charcoal Grill. It is well made and the legs fold up to make it more compact. We ended up using it at home and haven't actually carried it yet.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We have the Fire Sense Notebook type Charcoal Grill and is great for the B, but just recently added the Volcano 3 and am totally impressed. If you are even considering dutch oven cooking, it is a must! But if not using a dutch oven it is great unto itself. The versatility is incredible. A little on the costly side, but well made and the 3, with an adapter ($25 thru Volcano or cheaper at Wally World) can run off LP tanks or bottles, charcoal or wood. The "bonus" cookbook is also entertaining.