Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

Default the lighting

Hi
we often travel with my family and boondock. Sometimes we stop at rv parks. I need any good solution as for the light. What good lantern or flashlight can you recommend? Maybe LED.
Thanks
kris112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

LED is the only way to go now. We carry one LED lantern we can hang or sit on a surface to use outside the B or in an emergency. We also carry a few handy and very small about 4" long x 1" diameter LED flashlights for walking around after dark. I bought 8 small flashlights in a package at Home Depot for about $10. The batteries seem to last relatively forever. Google "LED lantern" and you'll get lots of choices. Some look like the traditional oil lamps. The big box retailers all carry them. You can pick by looks, price, features or whatever strikes your fancy.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Just received my Amazon order for led lanterns for under $10 each. Comes with 3AAA batteries too. Small, but very bright and good to have for not much costs. Also, got a rechargeable flashlight. When camping or boon docking, it's nice to have lights handy, especially with 2 dogs.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have had a number of lights over the years.
For years I used a solar cell with 3 light from malibu/home depot. meant for landscape lighting- worked great. Stuck them in the ground around the campsite- offered a gentle light

Then I got some large flashlights with solar cells- I had a clear bag on top of my motorcycle luggage and they'd charge as I rode

I am now using Luci Lanterns, which are solar cell/battery/hi-low leds.
( saw on shark tank)

these run from $8 at discount to $15 at REI.

I throw them on the dashboard and they charge during the day.

they will cast a gentle light through the campground at night or provide enough light to read.
I often leave one in dim mode, uninflated in the can overnight, saves looking for a light switch

https://www.mpowerd.com/

Pretty happy with these, they are hardy lightweight and take up no space when you let the air out

I also have a bright flashlight on the shelf over the door and a headlamp in my tool kit

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

I went to my local hardware. The cheapest lantern there was this one https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/e...241_5572_nebo/
I think, that I will not gamble to order it online. I hope it will work some period…

Guys what place can you recommend at this season not far from Chicago?
kris112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post

I am now using Luci Lanterns, which are solar cell/battery/hi-low leds.
( saw on shark tank)

these run from $8 at discount to $15 at REI.

I throw them on the dashboard and they charge during the day.

they will cast a gentle light through the campground at night or provide enough light to read.
I often leave one in dim mode, uninflated in the can overnight, saves looking for a light switch

https://www.mpowerd.com/

Pretty happy with these, they are hardy lightweight and take up no space when you let the air out

Mike
Very cool!
sheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Let there be light.

Hello.
First let me say that my wife teases me about the amount of lights I own.
Best battery operated flash light I have is a c cell led flash light by Duracell.
It is amazing! And seems to last for ever.Will light up a football field.
It also has a zoom ,to see a mile away. Has two brightness levels,and strobe.
I have a solar security type light mounted on a high quality suction type mount. I can mount it anywhere on the van ,depending on where and how I am parked. Best of all,it has a motion detector,and different settings for what you need it to do. And seems to stay lit a long time on a full charge.
Best and cheapest little lights. Are the cheap solar lights from Wal mart,or the dollar store.
Just sit a couple on the dash or any place they can charge up.
Then you can place them where you need them.kids can carry them around....and if they break it. No biggie,it only cost a buck.
Of course I have a couple of crank type and rechargeable too.....just in case.
Watch out for things that go bump in the night!
Cheers
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote