Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default TIRES for 1999 Dodge RT 190 popular

I'm purchasing a used RT which has 2 rotted tires and 2 ok tires I'm thinking of replacing all 4 but which type tires should I buy? I'm a first time owner and need your help.
The Tires Plus guy suggested Firestone Transforce HT2 BL LT245/75R16 E120R 10ply, $860.00...what say you?...Thank you.
Eglo Stelaria Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eglo Stelaria Chrome View Post
I'm purchasing a used RT which has 2 rotted tires and 2 ok tires I'm thinking of replacing all 4 but which type tires should I buy? I'm a first time owner and need your help.
The Tires Plus guy suggested Firestone Transforce HT2 BL LT245/75R16 E120R 10ply, $860.00...what say you?...Thank you.
I really liked the ride, quietness, handling, and tread life of my last set of Transforce HT's (the previous generation tire). However, I had to replace them at three years dues to side wall and bead cracks. I just lost confidence in them.

Now, if the new HT2's keep the good qualities of the previous tires without the sidewall problems, they could be a good replacement.

I went with the recently discontinued (at least in Load Range E) Michelin Defender LTX's. And guess what? Some reponders mentioned problems with LTX sidewall cracking. But like my advice above, I believe they were talking about a previous generation tire.

So you pay your money and take your chances.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I really liked the ride, quietness, handling, and tread life of my last set of Transforce HT's (the previous generation tire). However, I had to replace them at three years dues to side wall and bead cracks. I just lost confidence in them.

Now, if the new HT2's keep the good qualities of the previous tires without the sidewall problems, they could be a good replacement.

I went with the recently discontinued (at least in Load Range E) Michelin Defender LTX's. And guess what? Some reponders mentioned problems with LTX sidewall cracking. But like my advice above, I believe they were talking about a previous generation tire.

So you pay your money and take your chances.

The Defenders should be improved against side wall cracking as that was one of the things they touted on them. The MS2 tires were in between the LTX and Defenders, aslo, as were said to be crack prone, but we have not seen that yet on ours. I also have 8 year old LTX tires on the big Buikc and they are still fine. Our vehicles do sit inside nearly all the time, so that can make a huge difference.

I need to look and see what the current Michelin load range E tires are.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Tire rack still shows Defenders, at least in our 265-75-16 size load range E.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Old 06-02-2019, 12:14 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Tire rack still shows Defenders, at least in our 265-75-16 size load range E.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
For my 2011 Express 3500 the size on the door sticker is 245/75/16E. That size in the Defender shows "Special/Closeout" under the price on the Tire Rack and Discount tire websites. I ordered mine from Discount's website since their store is only a few blocks from my house. I was at their store waiting when the shipment came in (truck was late) and shipping label said they actually came in from NTB in Dallas. The Discount sales person said they buy from whoever when they don't actually have them in stock.

As to the load range E disappearance from Michelin's website, the salesperson speculated the tread pattern may not be aggressive enough to sell well since it's basically their passenger tire pattern. Who really knows, but their new offering (Agilis CrossClimate) is more of an All-terrain look, so maybe he's right.

Funny that your tire size is larger than mine and the OP's.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
For my 2011 Express 3500 the size on the door sticker is 245/75/16E. That size in the Defender shows "Special/Closeout" under the price on the Tire Rack and Discount tire websites. I ordered mine from Discount's website since their store is only a few blocks from my house. I was at their store waiting when the shipment came in (truck was late) and shipping label said they actually came in from NTB in Dallas. The Discount sales person said they buy from whoever when they don't actually have them in stock.

As to the load range E disappearance from Michelin's website, the salesperson speculated the tread pattern may not be aggressive enough to sell well since it's basically their passenger tire pattern. Who really knows, but their new offering (Agilis CrossClimate) is more of an All-terrain style so maybe he's right.

Funny that your tire size is larger than mine and the OP's.

Don't forget that we have done the lift and oversized tires and wider wheels on our Chevy Roadtrek.

It does say special/closeout but I would read that as special OR closeout, so very well may be just a sale price especially since appears a couple of places. I couldn't find anything about them being discontinued anywhere I could find, and they are still on the Michelin site.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Looking further, it may be that the Defenders won't match the P metric specs for higher pressure and such which the European vehicles like Promaster call out. They seem to bring up the new Agilis tires for a lot of the van stuff now, so something may be going on but not stated.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:07 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Don't forget that we have done the lift and oversized tires and wider wheels on our Chevy Roadtrek.

It does say special/closeout but I would read that as special OR closeout, so very well may be just a sale price especially since appears a couple of places. I couldn't find anything about them being discontinued anywhere I could find, and they are still on the Michelin site.
Where is the size 245/75/16 in load range E listed on Michelin's website? I searched several places, including here: https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...fender-ltx-m-s and don't see it.

The one here is not load range E: https://www.michelinman.com/shop/tyr...-16--allsearch

I considered the fact of buying a discontinued tire in case (for the first time in 45 years) I should damage one beyond repair. But I needed a new spare anyway, so I purchased 5 tires with the spare serving as a permanent replacement in the event of a damaged tire.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:16 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Where is the size 245/75/16 in load range E listed on Michelin's website? I searched several places, including here: https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...fender-ltx-m-s and don't see it.

The one here is not load range E: https://www.michelinman.com/shop/tyr...-16--allsearch

I considered the fact of buying a discontinued tire in case (for the first time in 45 years) I should damage one beyond repair. But I needed a new spare anyway, so I purchased 5 tires with the spare serving as a permanent replacement in the event of a damaged tire.

I got to it directly from Google on a search, IIRC. If that is the case it is possible it is still there but doesn't come up in the application search if they are working on getting rid of it. It is interesting that the Defender van tires are top seller at Tire Rack, great reviews rated first on tire rack, etc and it sounds like the Agilis is more of a hard core commercial tire so they would have no more van highway tires Just the Defender AT, Agilis, and XPS Ribs.

Perhaps they have given up trying to have smooth ride with big vans?
Old 06-02-2019, 01:37 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I always hate buying new tires. Because you never know if you made the right choice. You can drive them and hopefully they perform well initially. But it might take a few years to see if they last.

Plus, no matter how well rated in consumer reviews, there are always a fair percentage of those reviews that make dire warnings and claim them to be the worst tires ever. That goes for almost any product rating, not just tires.

Eglo. Let us know what tires you buy and how you like them.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Yes, Michelin are best IMHO...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #12
Bronze Member

thank you for taking the time to respond, I'm looking at tires now tomorrow I meet the seller at the bank we will see how it goes. The price minus new tires I feel is still too high but I will offer him less see what happens.
thanx again
Eglo
Eglo Stelaria Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:27 AM   #13
Platinum Member

A little late in the negotiations if you've already agreed on a price.