Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
This Fan-tastic video is very convincing.

Good video

The fan is running on high in the video - it would have been great if they showed the effects on medium and low speeds as I don't run the fan on high. I mostly run them at low so that info would be more useful to me.

I wonder if the Fantastic vent cover had the optional bug screen installed? Some of the competing models include the bug screen to keep nest building insects etc. out.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Yeah, it convinces me that when the time comes I'm going to install an automatic opening/closing vent with a rain sensor on my roof because there is no way in hell I'm putting something that ugly up there.
I had the Fantastic Fan with the automatic opening/closing with rain sensor in my Great West Van. Two things. They are prone to corrosion failure if you routinely camp near sea coasts. Secondly, I didn't like the feeling being away from my Class B with the fan open when it starts to rain. You are always wondering if it works. I now have the MaxxAir Deluxe. I love it. Quieter, 10 speeds, and low profile integrated hood.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Box arrived today ( ordered 4th, shipped 5th- arrived 7th !)

Cover installs with 4 screws.
2 existing screws are removed on each side, brackets are put on with new screws ( don't forget a little sealer) and the cover placed over top onto bracket pins. 4 cotter type pins secure it.

clearance is higher than previous- the former high spot was the A/C, it is now the ultra breeze cover ( 8'10" to 9'4"), our crank up antenna clears it no problem.

the lid on the fantastic fan no longer opens to 80º or so, but it opens enough.

the cover will keep rain from falling directly on the vent and protect the vent, lid, mount and sealer from the sun to an extent.

install at 105º took me 20 minutes

update: as I've been walking around it today doing yard stuff- it appears like someone put a trashcan on the roof!
but that's ok, I won;t see it from my cozy B bed.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 PM   #24

Here's my 4 year experience with the Ultra Breeze. The fantastic fan opens about 80% of the way or a little more. Have driven with it open in pouring rain at highway speeds and never any rain got in. The aerodynamics are superb. Have closed the fan down only when the rain is so bad I chicken out. Left the fan open when stored to remove moisture and ventilate with fresh air year round. What more can I ask. It works.
just4grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #25
Platinum Member

review- it works- it keeps the rain out ( while parked anyway) in very high winds, very heavy rainfall - monsoon storms this week and not a drop inside the van ( yay!)- had rain come in last year around the vent when closed!

allows vent to be open when driving, that's nice when the weather is mild

outflow: i only use the fan at 1- not really a factor- have used 3 when the toaster set off the smoke alarm.

so possible another brand would have been fine for flow

it is BIG- looks like a trashcan up there and has increased our clearance height by 6"...previously the AC was the highest point on the van

had I gone to retail and seen the various covers I might have selected something else, but I don;t know if the weather proofness would have been the same.

I was on sale for $35 and went on quick and easy

so I am happy with it

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote