Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Which cover for Fantastic Fan vent?

Wondering if the fantastic made ultra breeze is the way to go or is there a better or less expensive alternative.

Monsoon season here and I want to be able to keep the vent open during the rain

Thanks, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

For a B van, if you want to keep the low profile look, a Maxxfan Deluxe model is a nice option. Maxxair - High Powered Ceiling Fans for RVs | Airxcel

Quote:
MAXXFAN Deluxe features the INDUSTRY EXCLUSIVE built-in rain shield eliminating the need for any additional covers.
It's a fair bit of $$$$ though to replace a good and working Fantastic fan with a Maxxfan Deluxe though.

I have one Maxxfan Deluxe on my trailer and one Camco Aero-flo RV Roof Vent Cover. Aero-flo RV Roof Vent Cover - Camco (the trailer has two 14" sq vent holes)

I don't yet have a fan under the Camco but plan to add one if needed.

I don't think you can get a much less expensive cover than the basic Camco's. The Aero Flo costs a bit more but they say it has "30% more open vent area". It still costs way less than the Fantastic cover. I figured it was a low cost way to still get OK performance if I end up adding a second fan.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Camping World has the Ultra Breeze on a sale price for $38...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
For a B van, if you want to keep the low profile look, a Maxxfan Deluxe model is a nice option. Maxxair - High Powered Ceiling Fans for RVs | Airxcel

It's a fair bit of $$$$ though to replace a good and working Fantastic fan with a Maxxfan Deluxe though.

I have one Maxxfan Deluxe on my trailer and one Camco Aero-flo RV Roof Vent Cover. Aero-flo RV Roof Vent Cover - Camco (the trailer has two 14" sq vent holes)

I don't yet have a fan under the Camco but plan to add one if needed.

I don't think you can get a much less expensive cover than the basic Camco's. The Aero Flo costs a bit more but they say it has "30% more open vent area". It still costs way less than the Fantastic cover. I figured it was a low cost way to still get OK performance if I end up adding a second fan.
I can attest to the effective rain shield of the Maxxair fan. I got caught in a thunderstorm with the vent open facing into the wind. Not a single drop of water got inside with a 30 mph wind blowing the rain horizontally.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We already have a fantastic fan- so a cover is what we are after, rather than replacing the entire thing.

Mike
Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

I've been looking at the Ultra Breeze cover as well. My cover was closed and locked during our first monsoon storm last week and the cover was blown full open and detached from the motor driven arm. I am hoping I can re-attach the cover as it seems unharmed. Has anyone else had this experience? Along with the UB cover, I was also considering the bug screen (which does not appear to be included) and also the insulated (double wall) cover. Does anyone have experience with these?
DutchMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
That's what I ended up doing- bought some other stuff too to get over the $75 free shipping threshold...gate valves and gloves.

We don't have an interior cover as our use-typically is in my Phoenix driveway- so vent open and fan on to keep the temps down...

and then when camping we generally go somewhere temperate, so the vent again would be in use 24 hours a day- and now with the UB cover, rain won;t be as much an issue.

Our fan-tastic fan does have a screen on the interior side- below the fan. we only use as an exhaust fan- and we do have screens on our bedside and galley windows. pretty bug free.

I had the assembly off last year to seal up the roof, as i recall replacing the plastic cover should be pretty easy.

Mike
Old 07-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Maxx Air cover is a bit pricey,
and it sticks out,
but it works.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchMountain View Post
I've been looking at the Ultra Breeze cover as well.
and I'll update when installed- I ordered yesterday- we'll see how quickly it arrives-
we have a few things to wrap up here at home then we are getting out of the heat for a month or so.
if the shipping is slow, we may just go with out it.
Mike
Old 07-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Mike,
It will be great to see the update. I hope the cover arives in time.
The reason I was looking at the external bug screen was a mention of nesting bugs in a review on Camping World. I can see that could.be a problem with wasps, although in our climate they seem to prefer cooler spots. Users also seem to love the insulated cover, blocks some sun and provides for better heating and cooling when closed. I suspect that I will have a hard time getting good access to do this work on the sprinter and I would like to take care of all changes at the same time!
DutchMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Nice find Greg - almost 1/2 off.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I placed my order yesterday- the 4th.
i got a couple of emails saying order received etc I will get further notification when it ships.

I emailed the CS address today, the 5th saying that I appreciated the updates and that let me know my order wasn;t lost in the pile of what would be alot of orders during their promotion.

I added that I hoped shipping would also be equally fast & efficient.

This afternoon I get tracking info which shows my stuff will be here end of day 7th- (the shipping was to be 5~7 working days)
i don;t know if my email got me any influence, but this is outstanding service.

Mike
Old 07-06-2016, 03:32 AM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

This Fan-tastic video is very convincing.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
This Fan-tastic video is very convincing.
Yeah, it convinces me that when the time comes I'm going to install an automatic opening/closing vent with a rain sensor on my roof because there is no way in hell I'm putting something that ugly up there.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Yeah, it convinces me that when the time comes I'm going to install an automatic opening/closing vent with a rain sensor on my roof because there is no way in hell I'm putting something that ugly up there.
If you are willing to run at low speed in light rain you can get away without having the cover by stalling the lift motor with the opening maybe 2-3 inches with the rain sensor off and usually no rain gets in.

If you want high airflow in the rain or use in windy rain then the cover is needed.
They do come in black and smoke if you want it a little less obvious but clearly it is meant to be functional not attractive.

Other option is the maxxair fan which integrates the cover into the fan and is low profile when closed but that is a complete replacement.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Fantastic makes upgrades from their most basic unit to their most feature -rich version for less money than a complete fan and you never need to remake the seal on the van roof, just upgrade the guts. I'll go that route.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Fantastic makes upgrades from their most basic unit to their most feature -rich version for less money than a complete fan and you never need to remake the seal on the van roof, just upgrade the guts. I'll go that route.
Yes, I upgraded from the basis no frills version to the remote control rain sensor version when we got our used Roadtrek. Also got a free replacement motor for it since it had a very annoying squeeking sound.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #18
BBQ
Platinum Member

Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #19
Platinum Member

It seems like Maxxair could have designed it so it could also be a drop in replacement for the Fantastic fan with all the guts removed...
Old 07-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Replacement is not difficult. A Dremel with a cutting wheel or something like a hacksaw does a good job trimming the excess depth off the new plastic interior shroud. I've installed 3 Maxxfan Deluxe fans now - it's my preferred choice. I think Fantastic Fans are great but I really like the built in rain shield on the Maxxfan Deluxe.

One thing to be aware of is the extra exterior length of the Maxxfan Deluxe. It fits the standard 14" sq opening but needs more clear space for the rear portion of the built-in fan cover/rain shield on the roof.