Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default 2017-2016 Roadtrek 190P Spare Tire

My wife and I are brand new to the RV lifestyle. After much research, we bought a brand new 2017–2016 Roadtrek 190P. Less than three months old.

We ordered the spare tire that goes on a trailer hitch. Problems: it sticks out too much in the back, blocks the left-hand door, and requires super strength to lower.

Thoughts and advice on modifications or improvements? Put the spare somewhere else? We are baffled. A thousand thanks!
__________________

Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
My wife and I are brand new to the RV lifestyle. After much research, we bought a brand new 2017–2016 Roadtrek 190P. Less than three months old.

We ordered the spare tire that goes on a trailer hitch. Problems: it sticks out too much in the back, blocks the left-hand door, and requires super strength to lower.

Thoughts and advice on modifications or improvements? Put the spare somewhere else? We are baffled. A thousand thanks!
If it is the Roadtrek spare tire carrier, get an Ezee-lift for it which adds a spring to lift the tire. I thought all the Roadtreks now came with their version of a spring lifter, though, so you should have one if it is the Roadtrek version. The Roadtrek rear spare add about 10" to the overall length, so not all that much, at least to us.
__________________

booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If it is the Roadtrek spare tire carrier, get an Ezee-lift for it which adds a spring to lift the tire. I thought all the Roadtreks now came with their version of a spring lifter, though, so you should have one if it is the Roadtrek version. The Roadtrek rear spare add about 10" to the overall length, so not all that much, at least to us.
The owner of Ezee-Lift recently told me that Ezee-Lift won't work on Roadtrek spare tire assemblies manufactured in the last few years. The assemblies were modified somehow....

Our Roadtrek spare tire assembly has no such spring lifter. Cables, yes; springs, no. Roadtrek told me, in essence, "You're on your own."
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,804
Default

Quote:
Continental Spare Tire Carrier Optional
Continental spare tire kit with proprietary effort reduction system (Receiver mounted in front of driver side rear door)
This is from the Roadtrek site for a 190 Chevy. If they are telling you that there is no lift mechanism in the carrier, they need to do some explaining, I would think, or fixing.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 7,858
Default

Here's an old topic that might give you some ideas if there's no lift assist on the Roadtrek carrier and no commercially available options: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...-lift-265.html

Booster made an air assisted lift for his RT spare tire carrier.
__________________
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,804
Default

Here is a video of the Roadtrek lifter and how to adjust it. It makes one wonder why Roadtrek is not being helpful for the OP. Did someone get hurt and they quit putting them on?

booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,137
Default

I couldn't move the tire on the back of the RT, it blocked the door, so I ordered my 170 without the continental kit. The spare arrived under the sofa... it went directly to storage.

My previous Libero came without a spare at all...

This is why I have Roadside Assistance.
__________________
Mumkin
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (almost a Zion)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
My wife and I are brand new to the RV lifestyle. After much research, we bought a brand new 2017–2016 Roadtrek 190P. Less than three months old.

We ordered the spare tire that goes on a trailer hitch. Problems: it sticks out too much in the back, blocks the left-hand door, and requires super strength to lower.

Thoughts and advice on modifications or improvements? Put the spare somewhere else? We are baffled. A thousand thanks!
We have a Pleasure Way Plateau TS with similar problem (sticks out on our drive way and is very heavy ) thinking of removing it altogether and going with a slime kit just in case as was recommended in another post on here.
Best of luck
__________________
David & Angela
2008 Pleasure Way Plateau TS
Porsche911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
We have a Pleasure Way Plateau TS with similar problem (sticks out on our drive way and is very heavy ) thinking of removing it altogether and going with a slime kit just in case as was recommended in another post on here. Best of luck
My advice: don't remove it. Keep your spare tire. What if you got a flat in the middle of nowhere?
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I couldn't move the tire on the back of the RT, it blocked the door, so I ordered my 170 without the continental kit. The spare arrived under the sofa... it went directly to storage.

My previous Libero came without a spare at all...

This is why I have Roadside Assistance.
OMG, you are a brave soul. I would never drive a vehicle without a spare tire. What if I got a flat in the middle of nowhere? Not willing to take that risk.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Here is a video of the Roadtrek lifter and how to adjust it. It makes one wonder why Roadtrek is not being helpful for the OP. Did someone get hurt and they quit putting them on?

OMG, I never thought to check YouTube! Outstanding! A million billion thanks! I verified with Roadtrek that the procedure is still valid.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
This is from the Roadtrek site for a 190 Chevy. If they are telling you that there is no lift mechanism in the carrier, they need to do some explaining, I would think, or fixing.
Roadtrek actually published a how-to video on how to loosen up the assembly. I recently verified with Roadtrek that the procedure is still valid. You provided the link in another post, but here it is again:
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Arizona, HiDesert & Mountains
Posts: 293
Default

News we can use. Thnx Booster!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
This is from the Roadtrek site for a 190 Chevy. If they are telling you that there is no lift mechanism in the carrier, they need to do some explaining, I would think, or fixing.
Roadtrek's "proprietary effort reduction system" doesn't get the job done, for sure!
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: California
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Here is a video of the Roadtrek lifter and how to adjust it.

Even the video didn’t help.

The video directs me to tighten a certain nut that is located on the top rear of the spare tire assembly. As I tighten the nut, it moves down a rod that is attached to the internal cables. As the nut moves down the rod, the rod pulls more tightly on the internal cables. So, that should make the spare tire easier to lift, right? Wrong. Even when the nut is tightened to its fullest extent, the tire still requires almost superhuman strength to lift. Much too heavy for my wife.

Worse, when the nut is tightened to its fullest extent, the accompanying rod sticks up over the tire. Now the plastic tire cap doesn’t fit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoadtrekSpareTire copy.jpg (283.3 KB, 0 views)
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Even the video didn’t help.

The video directs me to tighten a certain nut that is located on the top rear of the spare tire assembly. As I tighten the nut, it moves down a rod that is attached to the internal cables. As the nut moves down the rod, the rod pulls more tightly on the internal cables. So, that should make the spare tire easier to lift, right? Wrong. Even when the nut is tightened to its fullest extent, the tire still requires almost superhuman strength to lift. Much too heavy for my wife.

Worse, when the nut is tightened to its fullest extent, the accompanying rod sticks up over the tire. Now the plastic tire cap doesn’t fit!
It sounds like they either didn't install the spring, or it is not connected. The tire lift without assist is in the 70#+ range, which you can check by lifting it while standing on a bathroom scale. It may be time to take it to a dealer and see what they say, and also to look at some other vans that have the assist on them.

We have not really heard that the system doesn't reduce effort, only that some have trouble using the safety latch release, so something is really wrong here.
__________________

booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×