Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 03:56 AM   #1

Default 2017-2016 Roadtrek 190P Spare Tire

My wife and I are brand new to the RV lifestyle. After much research, we bought a brand new 2017–2016 Roadtrek 190P. Less than three months old.

We ordered the spare tire that goes on a trailer hitch. Problems: it sticks out too much in the back, blocks the left-hand door, and requires super strength to lower.

Thoughts and advice on modifications or improvements? Put the spare somewhere else? We are baffled. A thousand thanks!
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
My wife and I are brand new to the RV lifestyle. After much research, we bought a brand new 2017–2016 Roadtrek 190P. Less than three months old.

We ordered the spare tire that goes on a trailer hitch. Problems: it sticks out too much in the back, blocks the left-hand door, and requires super strength to lower.

Thoughts and advice on modifications or improvements? Put the spare somewhere else? We are baffled. A thousand thanks!
If it is the Roadtrek spare tire carrier, get an Ezee-lift for it which adds a spring to lift the tire. I thought all the Roadtreks now came with their version of a spring lifter, though, so you should have one if it is the Roadtrek version. The Roadtrek rear spare add about 10" to the overall length, so not all that much, at least to us.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If it is the Roadtrek spare tire carrier, get an Ezee-lift for it which adds a spring to lift the tire. I thought all the Roadtreks now came with their version of a spring lifter, though, so you should have one if it is the Roadtrek version. The Roadtrek rear spare add about 10" to the overall length, so not all that much, at least to us.
The owner of Ezee-Lift recently told me that Ezee-Lift won't work on Roadtrek spare tire assemblies manufactured in the last few years. The assemblies were modified somehow....

Our Roadtrek spare tire assembly has no such spring lifter. Cables, yes; springs, no. Roadtrek told me, in essence, "You're on your own."
Old 08-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Continental Spare Tire Carrier Optional
Continental spare tire kit with proprietary effort reduction system (Receiver mounted in front of driver side rear door)
This is from the Roadtrek site for a 190 Chevy. If they are telling you that there is no lift mechanism in the carrier, they need to do some explaining, I would think, or fixing.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Here's an old topic that might give you some ideas if there's no lift assist on the Roadtrek carrier and no commercially available options: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...-lift-265.html

Booster made an air assisted lift for his RT spare tire carrier.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Here is a video of the Roadtrek lifter and how to adjust it. It makes one wonder why Roadtrek is not being helpful for the OP. Did someone get hurt and they quit putting them on?

Old 08-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I couldn't move the tire on the back of the RT, it blocked the door, so I ordered my 170 without the continental kit. The spare arrived under the sofa... it went directly to storage.

My previous Libero came without a spare at all...

This is why I have Roadside Assistance.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:

We have a Pleasure Way Plateau TS with similar problem (sticks out on our drive way and is very heavy ) thinking of removing it altogether and going with a slime kit just in case as was recommended in another post on here.
Best of luck
Old 08-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
We have a Pleasure Way Plateau TS with similar problem (sticks out on our drive way and is very heavy ) thinking of removing it altogether and going with a slime kit just in case as was recommended in another post on here. Best of luck
My advice: don't remove it. Keep your spare tire. What if you got a flat in the middle of nowhere?
Old 08-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I couldn't move the tire on the back of the RT, it blocked the door, so I ordered my 170 without the continental kit. The spare arrived under the sofa... it went directly to storage.

My previous Libero came without a spare at all...

This is why I have Roadside Assistance.
OMG, you are a brave soul. I would never drive a vehicle without a spare tire. What if I got a flat in the middle of nowhere? Not willing to take that risk.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Here is a video of the Roadtrek lifter and how to adjust it. It makes one wonder why Roadtrek is not being helpful for the OP. Did someone get hurt and they quit putting them on?

OMG, I never thought to check YouTube! Outstanding! A million billion thanks! I verified with Roadtrek that the procedure is still valid.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
This is from the Roadtrek site for a 190 Chevy. If they are telling you that there is no lift mechanism in the carrier, they need to do some explaining, I would think, or fixing.
Roadtrek actually published a how-to video on how to loosen up the assembly. I recently verified with Roadtrek that the procedure is still valid. You provided the link in another post, but here it is again:
Old 08-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
Platinum Member

News we can use. Thnx Booster!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Roadtrek's "proprietary effort reduction system" doesn't get the job done, for sure!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Here is a video of the Roadtrek lifter and how to adjust it.

Even the video didn’t help.

The video directs me to tighten a certain nut that is located on the top rear of the spare tire assembly. As I tighten the nut, it moves down a rod that is attached to the internal cables. As the nut moves down the rod, the rod pulls more tightly on the internal cables. So, that should make the spare tire easier to lift, right? Wrong. Even when the nut is tightened to its fullest extent, the tire still requires almost superhuman strength to lift. Much too heavy for my wife.

Worse, when the nut is tightened to its fullest extent, the accompanying rod sticks up over the tire. Now the plastic tire cap doesn’t fit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoadtrekSpareTire copy.jpg (283.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Even the video didn’t help.

The video directs me to tighten a certain nut that is located on the top rear of the spare tire assembly. As I tighten the nut, it moves down a rod that is attached to the internal cables. As the nut moves down the rod, the rod pulls more tightly on the internal cables. So, that should make the spare tire easier to lift, right? Wrong. Even when the nut is tightened to its fullest extent, the tire still requires almost superhuman strength to lift. Much too heavy for my wife.

Worse, when the nut is tightened to its fullest extent, the accompanying rod sticks up over the tire. Now the plastic tire cap doesn’t fit!
It sounds like they either didn't install the spring, or it is not connected. The tire lift without assist is in the 70#+ range, which you can check by lifting it while standing on a bathroom scale. It may be time to take it to a dealer and see what they say, and also to look at some other vans that have the assist on them.

We have not really heard that the system doesn't reduce effort, only that some have trouble using the safety latch release, so something is really wrong here.