Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #61
Site Team

When they installed the NovaKool (to my specification), Great West depended on convective cooling between a lower and a higher vent to keep the back of the fridge cool. It was not adequate. I added a pair of computer muffin fans to the "out" vent. This totally fixed the problem. The fans are controlled by a thermistor-controlled PCM fan speed controller, so is virtually silent and only runs when necessary. Power consumption is negligible and it is very quiet.

NovaKool is now rock solid (as is our ice cream). Best thing since sliced bread.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I added a pair of computer muffin fans to the "out" vent. This totally fixed the problem. The fans are controlled by a thermistor-controlled PCM fan speed controller, so is virtually silent and only runs when necessary. Power consumption is negligible and it is very quiet.
Muffin fans are pretty small...what size is your refrigerator and what temp do you have the fans set to come on?
Old 10-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Muffin fans are pretty small...what size is your refrigerator and what temp do you have the fans set to come on?
RFU6800 -- 6.8 Cu ft. Pretty big.

These were larger-size fans (5" maybe?) and I used two of them. More than adequate--they rarely run at any significant speed. They just keep the convection going. The cabinet got VERY hot before I added them.

I really don't know the temperature set point. I am using a little controller intended to keep computer cabinets cool. I don't think it is even adjustable:

fan controller.jpg
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Great info Avanti!

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #65
Platinum Member

The Nova Kool 6.8 cf refrigerator/freezer is standard in the Advanced RV though they are venturing out with others. There configuration is inside venting at the bottom base, two fans and inside again around the microwave. There is considerable insulation in the backing wall so outside sun on the van is not much of a factor.

The Nova Kool is pretty much the difference between ambient and refrigerator temperature. You just can't set the knob as you do in your temperature controlled house and forget it. You have to anticipate especially when temperatures drop overnight. Experience helps.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:04 AM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
…………………………
The Nova Kool is pretty much the difference between ambient and refrigerator temperature. You just can't set the knob as you do in your temperature controlled house and forget it. You have to anticipate especially when temperatures drop overnight. Experience helps.
This is interesting, most of Danfoss based fridges use capillary electromechanical thermostat with the sensor bulb placed directly on the cold plate. The probe measure cold plate absolute temperature so the fridge in effect controls freezer temperature. Based on your statement Nov Kool works differently.

Smart Controller by Isotherm is using temperature probe placed inside the fridge controlling fridge temperature. Pluses and minuses on both sides as always.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #67
Platinum Member

Our Isothern uses the capillary thermostat like most others do. They had the probe on the top of the freezer box (cold plate) and it would work OK, but drift over time as frost built up over it. I moved it to alongside the freezer box, as the the box only covers 1/2 the width of the frig, and there is a notch out of the inside of the frig for the compressor in the upper rear. It sits about 3/4" off the side of the freezer box so no frost build up. I did have to recalibrate the thermostat with the small screw adjustment that is on it. Seems to work much better when off of the freezer, and probably more like the electronic ones that are in the frig area itself.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #68
Platinum Member

It's going to be awhile before ambient temps get hot enough to test the results, but we looked at replacing the solid wood panel below our NovaCool refrigerator with a vent. Unfortunately, vents/grills that size are expensive so DH removed the wood panel and added washers so that it stands out from the surrounding cabinetry a bit. Still looks nice, but provides airflow comparable to a 4" x 4" hole. We also intend to get temp sensors for the inside of the refrigerator so we can monitor it.

In other news, I think I mentioned elsewhere that our awning failed. We contacted Coachmen, who provided a list of warranty dealers. None within 80 miles would take our coach within 2 months. So I got permission to go local and bill Coachmen. The local guy does NOT do warranty work thank-you-very-much, so we paid up front. Even if Coachmen refused to reimburse the costs, it was likely to be cheaper than paying for gas and a "chase car" all the way to the nearest warranty shop.

We knew from our own tests that the motor failed so we got Carefree to send us a new one. They didn't really want to, but Coachmen authorized it. We took it to the repair facility and had the motor replaced - they had the coach a half day.

Unfortunately, the repair guy said the sensor was bad and that is probably what caused the motor to fail so we had to go back to Carefree and get a new sensor and leave the Crossfit for another half-day. It has now been replaced and the awning works perfectly!

We only had to drive 15 minutes to the repair shop and our Crossfit was only out of commission two half-days. Took about an hour and a half for the repair. The total labor cost was $168 and within ten days of emailing the receipts, we had a check from Forest River (parent of Coachmen).

I suppose that if this was their standard policy, Coachmen would have to worry about getting ripped off by owners and unauthorized repair facilities, but I seriously wonder if it would ultimately be cheaper for them to go this route all the time. I don't know what they would pay a facility under the warranty, but we are happy, the charges didn't seem padded in any way, and Coachmen kept their word promptly. Given the complaints I hear about warranty work, the "free" PR might be worth it.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #69
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's going to be awhile before ambient temps get hot enough to test the results, but we looked at replacing the solid wood panel below our NovaCool refrigerator with a vent. Unfortunately, vents/grills that size are expensive so DH removed the wood panel and added washers so that it stands out from the surrounding cabinetry a bit. Still looks nice, but provides airflow comparable to a 4" x 4" hole...

Smart mod !

Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Phoebe3, that awning is giving Winnebago owners fits also.
End caps falling off, Motors dying etc.
Also if you didn't know it, there's now a Facebook Crossfit group. It has grown quickly in about a 2 week time span.
Good to hear about your warranty fix luck....

Old 12-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
... there's now a Facebook Crossfit group. It has grown quickly in about a 2 week time span. ....
Could you post a link? I tried various keyword google searches, but haven't been able to find it. Thanks.

I did find the Coachmen Facebook group, which has pictures of our van...
Old 12-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #72
Platinum Member

Quote:
Could you post a link? I tried various keyword google searches, but haven't been able to find it. Thanks.

I did find the Coachmen Facebook group, which has pictures of our van...
It's hard to find with that long name...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/136686297040380/

Old 12-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #73
Platinum Member

Thanks! I would NEVER have found it using the search terms I was trying...
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #74
Platinum Member

The owner of the FB group is getting ready to order a new one in the 22C floorplan....

Old 03-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #75
Ozz

Quick question, does the Crossfit have all fresh water lines inside? The Paseo advertises this to extend the use during colder weather, thanks
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Quick question, does the Crossfit have all fresh water lines inside? The Paseo advertises this to extend the use during colder weather, thanks
It seems they are. The fresh water tank is under the passenger's side bench seat (next to the kitchen sink). The fresh-water fill port, bath and water heater are on the driver's side. I took pictures of the under-carriage and don't see any water lines so I think they run under the platform the bench seats are on.

Grey water tank is on the exterior. I believe black is inside, under toilet and partially under refrigerator.

Here is a rather poor pic of the area under the driver's side bench seat where the water fill comes in and another one of the black tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8151.jpg (124.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8232.jpg (152.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #77
Ozz

Great, thanks for the quick response
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Thought I would update with some more images, mostly stolen, with apologies to whoever took them.

None of the videos or online ads show the bathroom floor very well so here it is. Earlier I mentioned that our Crossfit didn't come with the hinged door extension that allowed the doors to line up with this floor. We were told by the salesman (they never lie) that that panel had been discontinued because it allowed water to get onto the floor. All of the other Crossfits I have seen had it so I asked about it and they are sending me that extension...

We had trouble getting the Ryno hose to fit under the running board, but the 45 degree extension works great.

Here is an image of the roof that I stole from the internet since even with a selfie stick, I can't get high enough...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bathroom floor.jpg (27.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3330.jpg (103.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 45 deg Ryno connector.jpg (134.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Top of Crossfit.JPG (117.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #79
Silver Member

Well, I finally got to see a Crossfit in person.. I don't test drive it, but the driver seat position seemed very comfortable. Biggest surprise for me was the interior cabinet fit/finish and overall perception of quality. Much nicer than the Roadtreks and Winnebagos that I've been looking at. Not quite Pleasure-way, but in some respects very close to their quality.

I thought I'd finally found my new rig when the announcement of the "new" Travatos came recently with the Volta set-up.. But DECREASING an already smallish freshwater tank in those Travatos was a bit of a deal breaker. The search continues, but kudos to Coachmen for making a splash with these products.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #80

I realize it may be an old thread, but thank you for this report and congrats! Looks like a very nice fully featured campervan. I understand that towing capacity was one of your big priorities? When I looked at crossfit, I decided against it as I prefered ProMaster chassis and I am not planning to haul anything behind as mobility is number 1 priority for us.
I like flexible solar panels and don't know why other manufacturers insist on rigid panels. Could it be longevity? But with still raging solar panel technology improvements, replacing panels in the future should not be expensive or difficult.
Did you install rain cup on your Fantastic fan to allow you to run it in the rain?
netscorer is offline   Reply With Quote