Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2018 Coachmen Crossfit / Transit Opinions?

We looked at a Galleria and thought the fit and finish was very nice, but the particular Sprinter we looked at had issues (door wouldn't close, engine light was on, etc.).

For a little less, we could get the Crossfit on the Transit chassis. I like the floor-plan better (windows along passenger side, split twin beds instead of power sofa, etc.) and in 2018, it appears they elongated the beds so you can sleep lengthwise, which was critical and make the van useful for hauling other things when we're not RVing.

But when I look at van reviews, everybody seems to have problems with everything! Sprinters, Promasters and Transits all have more negative reviews than positive ones.

My spouse would prefer diesel, but I see both pro's and con's (gas is easier to find and there are more ford dealers if repairs are needed, but diesel can be run in the extreme heat of the desert southwest and gets better mileage).

Has anyone had a Transit RV? I'd like your opinion regarding handling, comfort, reliability.

And before we get into it, the name Crossfit is industry-specific. Was it a dumb idea to call it that? Probably, but there is no danger of a lawsuit.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

They made it twin beds? I thought it was cross sleeping.

Far as B's go maybe some negative reviews are because expectations are high. And rightfully so with the price of these. But IMO you just cant think about price. Accept that the price for what you get is insane. A car for this price would never have the imperfections a B van will for the money. But its just accepted as how it is.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here's the new floorplan. I would just leave it set up as twin beds - easier for those midnight visits to the loo.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

OK, guess I need to go back to the "how to use this forum" section to learn how to post pics.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Ha! Success!

Anyway, the beds are listed as 76" so should be long enough to sleep without having to set up and sleep cross-wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22D.jpg (58.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Nice move by them. Tho, like most vans that wet bath is just useless IMO. Doesnt look like using it as a toilet would be comfortable let alone a shower.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Yes, it's pretty small, for sure. More of an emergency-use-only...

But up until now, we have been "camping" in a F-350 4X4 with a cab-high shell. "Toilet" was a bucket and bag, so this tiny toilet is unspeakable luxury.

All things equal (including money), I would pick a Pleasure-way Plateau on a sprinter chassis. Big bathroom, luxurious seating, but unfortunately priced to match. Coachmen is just getting into the B-class so I think you get a lot more bang for the buck.

Our biggest question is whether the Transit is going to be problematic. Most of our travels will be in the desert, where a breakdown can put you a VERY long way from help.

From the reviews, I can see right off that we will have to retrofit to stiffen the ride.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The interior photos look great Crossfit Class B Motorhomes by Coachmen RV

I like the counter space. The bathroom doors might form a "V" shape to give extra space. It has modern features like: Multiplex, USB ports, Solar, Truma Combi.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Repairs in the desert may be a long ways away, but that will be for any vehicle, and with a Sprinter you can have the same issue LOTS of places besides the desert.

I haven't heard much bad about problems with the Transits to this point. Someone that would be on a Transit forum would be able to fill in those gaps, though, as there is always lots of information on that kind of stuff available.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I occasionally go on the Transit forum and I do not see that many issues about them being posted. Most posts are favorable. The only things that I do not like about the transits are the parking brake and the windows.
The 2018 Transit will move the parking brake so the front seat can swivel. I am betting that the floor plans for all existing transit RV manufactures will change and improve by utilizing the driver seat so it swivels. Those windows are the worse windows I have seen. I would get after market windows if I bought one. i am sure they are out there or will be out there.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Viperml, can you elaborate on issues with the windows? My research leads me to believe Coachmen uses the stock Transit windows because they are curved somehow and aftermarket would be difficult to fit. But I don't know that there is anything wrong with them so any insight would be helpful.

I did note that the Sprinter vans tend to have awning-style in the back so you can have them open in the rain, which would be nice. I think the Transit windows are sliders...
Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Viperml, can you elaborate on issues with the windows? My research leads me to believe Coachmen uses the stock Transit windows because they are curved somehow and aftermarket would be difficult to fit. But I don't know that there is anything wrong with them so any insight would be helpful.

I did note that the Sprinter vans tend to have awning-style in the back so you can have them open in the rain, which would be nice. I think the Transit windows are sliders...
The front driver and passenger side windows are horrible in my opinion. Part of them are fixed and only part of the windows will go down. When I drive I like to put my entire arm out the window or rest it on the driver or passenger side window areas. With those being fixed I cannot get my entire arm on the window area. This is just my opinion. I am sure there are after market driver side and passenger side windows available. I think there is a thread about it on the fordtransit forum.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
Platinum Member

On the 76" bed length of the Crossfit: our twin bed 59K travato has an 80" long open ended bed and a 74" bed that has the counter wall at the end.

My 5'11 DH fits the open 80" comfortably. I'm almost 5'8 and I have to make a point of scooching up or I hit the wall with my feet on the 74". I'm learning to drive the van and one night I had a nightmare that I was driving and couldn't find the pedals.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Yikes! Sorry to hear you are having nightmares about driving! (My driving dreams are always fun, but usually involve a sports car.)

Regular twin beds are 38" x 75" so I'm actually more worried about the width although we are pretty small. I appreciate your insight since our past camping involved a cab-high shell on an 8 ft truck bed - length was never an issue there!

As far as other information on the Crossfit, I called Coachmen this morning and received some additional information:

1. There is no inverter.
2. 100W solar panel is the flexible kind that sticks to the roof. You can upgrade to two panels, but probably cannot add more.
3. Comes with two wet-cell batteries, but they are talking about changing those to AGM.
4. Gas generator runs on gas from Transit fuel tank (probably they all do this, but I wasn't sure...they have a giant propane tank so it could have run the generator, I guess).
5. No macerator - gravity only.
6. Power awning.
7. They are considering offering the electric bench seat in the rear - we specifically didn't want this because of a need to haul items we will load via the back of the van.
8. The sales manager, Mike Peterson, said I was the second person to ask about a diesel engine, so for those who don't want to deal with a lack of Mercedes repair shops, that may be an option.
9. I also asked about the colors since white is obviously much cooler. Mike said the decision was to minimize contrast between the paint and the black-only bottom panels. If you want to order one, they'll get any color Ford offers.

Well that's all I came up with - if you all think of something else I should know about, please speak up. thanks again for your input - I would MUCH rather learn from someone else's experience.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
Platinum Member

my old 06 PW is all low tech- older stuff ...but proven.

1.) inverter only required in you have something which will only run on AC power using the DC supply from the batteries. in my van the only ac only devices are the AC and microwave- both of which use more power than my batteries could ever provide. so i don;t need one.
when on shore power ( or genny- rarely used) I can run the ac, microwave, fridge on AC, space heater and the coach battery will charge up

2.) solar on the roof requires you park in the sun.

I park in the shade when I can- that can make the camping experience much nicer- but if you on;y go where there is no shade, not an issue

solar works much better pointed at the sun...pointed straight up is probably 4 hours of peak power production.

some solar roof mount installs chew up the MPG

a "low tech" approach of solar cell on a stand you can kick towards the sun every few hours...and a cable long enough so that you may park in a shady spot may give much much better results.

agm are good- but I have a wet cell, it;s a costco and easily replaceable. I check the level of the electrolyte a couple times on the year. it is more a cost thing at this point...all my cars and bikes are AGM

I have a gravity dump- uses no power, nothing much to break.
I don;t see an advantage to a macerator- someone will point that out.

most gas genny's plumb into vehicle gas tank- usually the feed is at about the 1/3rd level, so you can;t run your van out of gas with the genny

power awning requires power- I wonder how much- I have a crank out Fiamma- remember never to leave deployed unattended...if a gust of wind comes up.
and make sure there is a safety switch on that- one of my Pals was in an rv with the awning switch near the light switch in the front- ...yes the awning came out while driving and tore off

not big on the idea of a power sofa- it's more the storage lost.
we fit alot of stuff under our bed in the back- with another floorplan that wouldn't be possible

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Thanks for the information about the generator only taking gas down to 1/3. I was, in fact, worried about running out of gas if I used the generator.

The refrigerator is a 6.0 cubic foot Nova Kool that only runs on A/C or D/C. Their website says it uses 5.2 amps at 12 V. I think I can run the refrigerator for more than a day without shore power. Does that seem right?

We will DEFINITELY find a way to lock the awning switch! Thanks for the warning on that, too. Would have been happy with a manual awning, but want to keep customization to a minimum.

My spouse is pretty sure he wants an inverter. His work and hobbies require a pretty powerful tower computer. We'll have to see whether it is an issue after we spend some time in the rig.

How do you like your old Pleasure Way? Wish it was 2006 and we could get a new one with the 5cyl engine - but, you work with what you've got.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I love the PW- the build quality is great-mine has solid maple cabinetry.

it is on a chev- I can work on it- anyone can work on it anywhere with common parts from napa.

My tires are less than $200 at costco, my new bilstein shocks cost just over $340 and took me about 3 hours in the driveway...battery- costco again.
because I have other chevs...I already kinda know the layout and have the manuals, tools and common filters, orings etc

I can get gas anywhere and it is less expensive than diesel and burns cleaner. my mpg is about 16ish so the diesel cost advantage is lesser

this is all part of the idea of simplifiing-

I work to lower the energy needs in the van- and we now know we can go at least 5 days off grid w/o genny. but that requires the LP fridge- we have an old dometic 3 way which takes some strategizing to get and keep cold

I see a new coachman in my neighborhood- i have not met the owners so have not been able to get an opinion from an owner.

mike
Old 06-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #18
Platinum Member

The ease-of-repair issue is why we are going with the ford Transit. We already have a 97 F150 and 96 F350 Diesel. Hard to believe they are old enough to buy their own Scotch!

Coachmen is using solid wood cabinets, as well. The new one you see in your neighborhood is probably the Galleria. We almost pulled the trigger on a Galleria earlier this year, but at 111 miles, the Sprinter was showing a Check Engine light and the sliding door wouldn't shut right. We thought the Coachmen part was superb and would love to have another diesel, but that experience kind of put us off Sprinters. If you talk to your neighbors, please pass along their thoughts. We probably won't see a Crossfit in our neck of the woods for a couple more months and since we won't buy something we haven't driven, there's time to hear the concerns other people have experienced.

Don't know which PW you have - Lexor? My favorite floor plan is the Plateau and that is mimicked in the new Crossfit: good visibility along the passenger side and I don't have to get on my knees to get into the microwave and refrigerator.

Storage in the Crossfit is pretty poor because both of the twin beds have stuff under them: fresh water on one side and the Truma water heater on the other. When I read posts from other people, the storage issue varies from never enough to not needing all of the available space. We are probably in the middle.

Thank you again for responding. This is a major purchase for us and I don't want to have any regrets. Best to know all the pitfalls first.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
Platinum Member

yes it's a lexor TD- we make 1 large bed& we leave the bed made up, so the area in the "aisle" under the bed is used for storage- we have one of those sterilite wheeled bins under there- this last trip it held our inflatable kayak and some spare shoes and a bag of dog food.
a little wedge of wood, takes the front wheels up and gives enough friction so the bin doesn;t slide if the brakes are jammed.

Mike
Old 06-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
The refrigerator is a 6.0 cubic foot Nova Kool that only runs on A/C or D/C. Their website says it uses 5.2 amps at 12 V. I think I can run the refrigerator for more than a day without shore power. Does that seem right?
The Nova Kool run at 5.2 amps when it runs. For practical purpose figure it will run about 75% of the time so that is an average of 4.0 amps x 24 = 96ah off your batteries. Of course if you travel daily there will be a net charge to your batteries. So if you stop at say 4 PM and get underway the next day 8 AM you will deplete your batteries about 64ah. Of course there are other battery depletions at work. So yes, you will mostly stay at shore power campgrounds and drive nominally every day, but you will get through a stay underway such as a pass through destination like a Walmart boondock overnight without needing to run your generator. You can run your generator every day if you wish but that limits your campground opportunities especially the more remote and quiet areas mixed in with tent campers.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote