Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2018 Coachmen Crossfit / Transit Opinions?

We looked at a Galleria and thought the fit and finish was very nice, but the particular Sprinter we looked at had issues (door wouldn't close, engine light was on, etc.).

For a little less, we could get the Crossfit on the Transit chassis. I like the floor-plan better (windows along passenger side, split twin beds instead of power sofa, etc.) and in 2018, it appears they elongated the beds so you can sleep lengthwise, which was critical and make the van useful for hauling other things when we're not RVing.

But when I look at van reviews, everybody seems to have problems with everything! Sprinters, Promasters and Transits all have more negative reviews than positive ones.

My spouse would prefer diesel, but I see both pro's and con's (gas is easier to find and there are more ford dealers if repairs are needed, but diesel can be run in the extreme heat of the desert southwest and gets better mileage).

Has anyone had a Transit RV? I'd like your opinion regarding handling, comfort, reliability.

And before we get into it, the name Crossfit is industry-specific. Was it a dumb idea to call it that? Probably, but there is no danger of a lawsuit.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Silver Member

They made it twin beds? I thought it was cross sleeping.

Far as B's go maybe some negative reviews are because expectations are high. And rightfully so with the price of these. But IMO you just cant think about price. Accept that the price for what you get is insane. A car for this price would never have the imperfections a B van will for the money. But its just accepted as how it is.

mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here's the new floorplan. I would just leave it set up as twin beds - easier for those midnight visits to the loo.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

OK, guess I need to go back to the "how to use this forum" section to learn how to post pics.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Ha! Success!

Anyway, the beds are listed as 76" so should be long enough to sleep without having to set up and sleep cross-wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22D.jpg (58.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Silver Member

Nice move by them. Tho, like most vans that wet bath is just useless IMO. Doesnt look like using it as a toilet would be comfortable let alone a shower.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Yes, it's pretty small, for sure. More of an emergency-use-only...

But up until now, we have been "camping" in a F-350 4X4 with a cab-high shell. "Toilet" was a bucket and bag, so this tiny toilet is unspeakable luxury.

All things equal (including money), I would pick a Pleasure-way Plateau on a sprinter chassis. Big bathroom, luxurious seating, but unfortunately priced to match. Coachmen is just getting into the B-class so I think you get a lot more bang for the buck.

Our biggest question is whether the Transit is going to be problematic. Most of our travels will be in the desert, where a breakdown can put you a VERY long way from help.

From the reviews, I can see right off that we will have to retrofit to stiffen the ride.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The interior photos look great Crossfit Class B Motorhomes by Coachmen RV

I like the counter space. The bathroom doors might form a "V" shape to give extra space. It has modern features like: Multiplex, USB ports, Solar, Truma Combi.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Repairs in the desert may be a long ways away, but that will be for any vehicle, and with a Sprinter you can have the same issue LOTS of places besides the desert.

I haven't heard much bad about problems with the Transits to this point. Someone that would be on a Transit forum would be able to fill in those gaps, though, as there is always lots of information on that kind of stuff available.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
Silver Member

I occasionally go on the Transit forum and I do not see that many issues about them being posted. Most posts are favorable. The only things that I do not like about the transits are the parking brake and the windows.
The 2018 Transit will move the parking brake so the front seat can swivel. I am betting that the floor plans for all existing transit RV manufactures will change and improve by utilizing the driver seat so it swivels. Those windows are the worse windows I have seen. I would get after market windows if I bought one. i am sure they are out there or will be out there.

Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote