Platinum Member

Default 2018 Coachmen Galleria with Li3

FitRV posted December 30, 2017

Old 12-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is a good review.

Coachman made a good RV

Well... the good thing about this review is... James FitRV is a techie, and he is a hardcore RV user. His review is from a techie user perspective.

The bad things about his reviews are... James FitRV is a techie, and he is a hardcore RV user. His reviews unravel a lot of hidden areas that can be improved.

Most of the reviewers would open and close the drawers.
James would open and close the drawers, AND climb under the chassis.

LOL

It is an entertaining review.
And I am saying it in a good way.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I'm impressed with the cabinets, fit and finish inside this rig. Looks like these companies eventually start "borrowing" ideas from one another. I see influences from Pleasure-Way, RT, etc.. Looks like underhood second alternators are creeping up throughout the industry. Not a bad thing in my book. Thanks for sharing.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'm hopeful that this Xantrex package is well thought out and put together. From the brochure, it looks like it is a package engineered by Xantrex and is similar to what James has been working on in his van.

I can also vouch for the Lithionics batteries. My 600AH unit is working very well in the simple system I installed.

Also from the brochure, it implies that the Firefly system is a Silverleaf product, or integrates with a Silverleaf controller, can't tell.

I'll be watching user reports on this one closely. I suspect they will have much better results than Roadtrek/Hymer has had on their kludge of a system.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #5

OK, something I'm not clear about here with the Class B, 2018-2019 Coachmen Galleria 24FL with Li3. Now it's clear there is NO GENERATOR. [B]But my question is you have stopped for the night and you need to dry camp. Then back on the road, or maybe you stay for a few days longer. It is HOT and very humid outside, so A/C is a MUST. What do you do with NO generator to run the Air Conditioner, all night long? As you have stopped driving for the day and parked at 8: PM and now parked for the night. SUN down at 8:15 PM and you want to hit the road at 7: AM SUN UP at 7:30 AM.

I am new to this Li3 system and like what I have been reading and learning. Can someone help me to understand what do-you-do, if you have "NO GENERATOR" to keep the A/C running through the night?
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
OK, something I'm not clear about here with the Class B, 2018-2019 Coachmen Galleria 24FL with Li3. Now it's clear there is NO GENERATOR. [B]But my question is you have stopped for the night and you need to dry camp. Then back on the road, or maybe you stay for a few days longer. It is HOT and very humid outside, so A/C is a MUST. What do you do with NO generator to run the Air Conditioner, all night long? As you have stopped driving for the day and parked at 8: PM and now parked for the night. SUN down at 8:15 PM and you want to hit the road at 7: AM SUN UP at 7:30 AM.

I am new to this Li3 system and like what I have been reading and learning. Can someone help me to understand what do-you-do, if you have "NO GENERATOR" to keep the A/C running through the night?
What is replacing stand alone generators like the Onan is a second high power alternator that feeds 12 volts to an inverter that provides 120VAC to the coach receptacles and appliances like the Microwave and the roof AC. So essentially it's a generator system powered by the coach engine. Some designs like the Roadrek Etrek, ARV and the Winnebago Travato Pure 3 incorporate an autostart feature that will automatically start the engine and provide 120VAC and battery recharging. Coachmen decided not to incorporate autostart on their Galleria Li3 and if and when battery recharge is necessary you would presumably start the engine manually, but that of course means getting up in the middle of the night.

All the class B upfitters tout an 8 hour AC run time for their system which IMO is a gross overstatement. Ambient temperature is a big factor. Day or night AC is also involved. During the day, there is the addition of UV generated heat the amount of which depends on the coach exterior color. Dark colors which are increasingly popular have the tradeoff of inviting more heat infusion. Nighttime relieves you of UV issues and ambient temperatures also typically drop somewhat.

The Galleria has 600 ah of lithium and is normally programmed to deliver suds up to a 90% discharge level. Depending on local conditions and assuming you don't require meat locker temperatures to sleep comfortably, the AC will operate with a duty cycle in the whereabouts of 60-70%, and assuming the battery is fully charged when you start, the AC could run for 5-6 hours before it shuts down. These are guestimates, and IMO there is no way you can get a full 8 hours of 13.5-15k AC uninterrupted operation with any of the available lithium systems (except the Roadtrek Warp Core 1600ah setup) without an engine startup during that period.

Providing sufficient battery run time without engine start is obviously necessary. But choosing an AC unit with better than average efficiency would also help. The AC units provided by domestic upfitters are not particularly efficient. However, Advanced Research Vehicles (ARV) has done some recent testing to find the quietest and most efficient AC unit in production and they are offering this as an after market upgrade which I think is mnufactured in Australia. . Scrapping the upfitter unit and replacing it with a better AC is certainly not inexpensive but if you need the best possible AC operation for the places you intend to travel, it could be worth the investment.

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote