Old 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
Silver Member

Cool

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience regarding whether to buy a Crossfit with the standard 3.7 liter V6 or the Ecoboost 3.5? Obviously, there would be a significant difference in power with the later, but how about the fuel economy and projected reliability differences between the two?

GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaGeek View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience regarding whether to buy a Crossfit with the standard 3.7 liter V6 or the Ecoboost 3.5? Obviously, there would be a significant difference in power with the later, but how about the fuel economy and projected reliability differences between the two?
I've logged about 2,200 miles on my Coachmen Crossfit Ecoboost 3.5 since purchasing 3 weeks ago. I'm getting around 14.5 mpg. I've been running the Texas speeds on the highway at 75mph for the most part. I've driven both and it was a no brainer going with the Ecoboost. I love it!

Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #13
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaGeek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTX View Post
I've logged about 2,200 miles on my Coachmen Crossfit Ecoboost 3.5 since purchasing 3 weeks ago. I'm getting around 14.5 mpg. I've been running the Texas speeds on the highway at 75mph for the most part. I've driven both and it was a no brainer going with the Ecoboost. I love it!
FWIW - I'm fine with the 3.7l. It goes fast enough to keep me from getting run over by Ecoboosts.

I had a 2011 Ecoboost F150. It was a blast - gobs of power, no waiting for downshifts, no waiting for the transmission to pick a gear.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
FWIW - I'm fine with the 3.7l. It goes fast enough to keep me from getting run over by Ecoboosts.

I had a 2011 Ecoboost F150. It was a blast - gobs of power, no waiting for downshifts, no waiting for the transmission to pick a gear.
Love the CrossFit so far. You really canít go wrong with either!
HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Bones View Post
Coachmen came out with a "Corrective Procedure", that says to use the middle holes, and position the ends of the SuperSprings 3 to 3.5 inches from the main spring eyes.
FYI - I just got a notice from Forest River, TSB #225-0970, SuperSpring installation might be wrong. SuperSprings may interfere with vehicle chassis read factory spring hangers.

Hmmmm….

Do you have anymore info on their corrective procedure? The notice from Forest River is sparse.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
Platinum Member

It's raining (again) so I'm not going out to take a picture, but the top of the rear SuperSpring shackle can hit a welded bit under the Transit frame if you hit a significant bump or pothole. The fix is to put the pin in the center hole of the shackle and move the springs forward by a little over 3" so that the top of the shackle really clears the frame.

On the FB group several have written to say they haven't had a problem. We installed SSA-42 instead of the SSA-43 that Coachmen provides. Since they are a bit shorter to begin with, we haven't had a problem.

Note that this is not really a self-help fix. some people use C-clamps to compress the springs, but if they slip off or fail, they can kill you. I have seen a home-made compression device that had two long bolts with angle-iron between them that completely captured the spring. A shop with the correct equipment can effect the correction in about 20 minutes.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
Gold Member

Thanks.

I think I see what's happening and why I have a 'thunk' coming from the left rear.

Right rear, front shackle:

Left rear, front shackle:

The left SuperSpring is mount too far forward. There is almost no clearance between the SuperSpring shackle and the trucks spring mount.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:05 AM   #18
Gold Member

Here's the details from Forest River:

https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...lerCentral.pdf

Pretty simple.

Quote:
A. Using a Ĺ" wrench and socket loosen the attaching bolt on the poly spring pad lock down clamp located at the center of the SuperSprings. Do not remove hardware. (SEE IMAGE A)

B. Place a pry bar behind the rear of the SuperSprings with the end against the cross member. (SEE IMAGE B)

C. Push the SuperSprings forward with the pry bar to obtain a measurement of 3" to 3.5" between the front of the SuperSprings and the rear of the vehicle front spring eye. (SEE IMAGE C1 AND C2)

D. Using a Ĺ" wrench and socket retighten the attaching bolt on the poly spring pad lock down clamp located at the center of the SuperSprings originally loosened during step 3-A.
Don't have to clamp the springs or remove the shackles.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
Here's the details from Forest River:

https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...lerCentral.pdf

Pretty simple.

Don't have to clamp the springs or remove the shackles.
Excellent! I reposted this (with attribution) on the FB site.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Anybody notice that Coachmen seems to have changed the name of the CrossFit to 'Beyond"? Seems to be mostly the same, except that glossy white cabinets are now available, and the 12V AC isn't currently listed. No mention of the name change.

mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachme, coachmen crossfit