Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Advanced RV now has a "semi-custom" model

I infer that the price, $219,300, is cheaper than the "custom" models ARV sells.

NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

In California, the Tax and license would be over $22k and yearly registration for the privilege of driving in CA would start at around $1400 a year. One of the reason I built my own.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

There wasn't a lot of detailed information there. Basically what was said is there would be no custom design modifications from what they have preselected to sell. There is no change from quality and I suspect you could get a custom design for less than their "select" design if you eliminated some of the most popular features that just about every customer goes with. Another thing they seem to be working on with the Select is to shorten up customer wait time. To satisfy many customers they have been very aggressive buying back their own RVs, refurbishing them to bring them up to date as much as possible and reselling them. That experience dealing with customers showed them there was an in between marketing point.

The semi-custom Select is confusing to me until I know more but Mike Neundorfer was standing next to an articulating bed that I originally proposed and designed and was subsequently developed to work by ARV. You won't get that in a Select design I assume.

You really can't compare an Advanced RV to Airstream, Roadtrek or anyone else. They are in feature, customer support and quality class separate from everyone else. Lamborghini's and Chevy Corvettes essentially do the same thing. ARV attempts to build Lamborghini's.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I wonder what the current backlog is at ARV?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

My backlog was 9 months and that was because of the process. It could have been shortened to about 8 months but the development of the articulating beds slowed us down. It is pretty simple. Custom ordering a Sprinter is a 4-5 month wait and then the build process is about 3-4 months. I'm not sure, though it was said in that video, whether custom ordering a Sprinter would be part of the semi-custom process. I thought otherwise from previous information.

The backlog is still long from what I hear. Most of the custom aspects of design could take place during the order wait time. After that the build might add some additional time but not much more than a month I would think. The opportunity is for ARV to order Sprinters on spec to shorten the customer wait. There have been a few wildly custom ARVs such as the super high roof vans, that Cruzmobile and the Solar Womp.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Sounds to me this is a business model that more closely aligns with what premium automakers do - group choices into packages. Makes things much easier on the clients and results in cost savings.

I think they realized that what most of their clients want is quality and not necessarily "sky's the limit" customization. Most probably ask "what do most people get?".

I would think they could also do the same on the interior finishes. Have 3 or 4 schemes that change every few years. That's what most manufacturers do - it also drives repeat sales to get something "updated".

Sounds like a great idea to me. Save time, and ultimately, save money.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I disagree on the set interior finish idea and that is not what ARV is proposing. Advanced RVs are not intended to be cookie cutter RVs. ARV does have a library room of samples of all finishes that people mostly choose from. Some have brought their own ideas and samples. We picked our finishes from samples of the companies they had already dealt with on previous RVs but I don't think anyone has duplicated what we picked. In effect, for instance, in picking a quartz countertop you have a choice of all a company provides not two or three previously selected. ARV provides design assistance and recommendations but ultimately each customer picks and combines finishes that please them. That can be good and bad, but then not everyone has the same tastes.

We just went through a similar process in buying and building a new home. Black, grey and white is the hot ticket in the market after going through several Parade of Homes models. That is kind of the choice for an Airstream Interstate in Class Bs. That is not my cup of tea and I think in a decade it will oh so ought teens dated like avocado colored appliances.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #8

What is most important, Advanced RV will listen to the customer desires and will accomplish the task of building the customer's coach without sacrificing safety.
JamesVango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

That's correct! Here at Advanced RV we pride ourselves on listening to what each and every client would like to have in their motor home. We want to understand how the client wants to travel and with this information we help them build a coach that will suit their needs.
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote