Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #21

Default Go for it!

Congratulations on pulling the trigger. While research is very important, we found that once we got the van, we began to learn how to travel in it. You just need to be flexible and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the model you picked. You can then figure out the modifications you want once you have experience.
South Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #22
Silver Member

Default Estimated Delvery Update

Since there has been lots of chatter on another Aktiv thread, I copied a part of my comment to my thread as well for anyone following my progress.

When I ordered my Aktiv in November, I was told it would be delivered in late January from the dealership. If it takes 6-8 weeks to produce/ship via truck like the Hymer representative informed me and went into the production process December 23 as planned ... I should see it late February. Any earlier than that will be quite the surprise! (In my plans I have it deploying in April.)

Hymer was closed 12/25-27 and again 12/30. So really, the rig probably physically went into production today just this week if other rigs ahead of it were not delayed further.

When it gets here, it gets here. Do I want it faster? Heck yeah!! Can I change it? Nope.

I've been taking this time to read through the PDF manuals for the components in the Aktiv that the Hymer representative sent me, as well as the other manuals I have located.

I certainly don't expect the dealership to be able to really educate me on these items as it will be one of the first five rigs they sold.

As an early adopter, I believe I need to be prepared before I take delivery. In the weeks to come, I'm hoping the GoHymer site will have the full manual uploaded (http://www.gohymer.com/owners-manual/) for me to print and review.

No complaints here.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #23
BBQ
Platinum Member

I would like to know the empty weight of Aktiv vs 59G.

I know the 59G is a bit longer,
I also know Europeans are more careful in their selection of materials and construction methods.

It would be interesting to find out how much lighter is the Aktiv.

Calling to current Aktiv owners -- have you weighed your RV?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 AM   #24
Silver Member

Default Weights 'n Measures

Once I have mine, I will be taking it over the public scales empty and again fully loaded for a 10-day trip. I'll post the weights as soon as I have them. For now, this is what I know about the Aktiv and the Travato from my research.

Aktiv Weights & Measures

Length = 19'7"
Exterior Height = 9'5"
Exterior Width = 6'11"
Interior Height = 6'1"
Interior Width = >6'1" (queen bed is 72.5")

GVWR = 9,350 lbs
Loaded Vehicle Weight = 8,050 lbs
Occupant 'n Cargo Capacity = 1,300 lbs

Hymer Info Source: http://www.gohymer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Aktiv_Spec_Sheet_Final.pdf

More Hymer Specifications: http://www.gohymer.com/features/

Travato 59G Weights & Measures

Length = 21'
Exterior Height = 9'1"
Exterior Width = 6'9"
Interior Height = 6'3"
Interior Width = 6'2"

GCWR = 11,500 lbs
GVWR = 9,350 lbs
GAWR FF = 4,630 lbs
GAWR RR = 5,291 lbs

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.

The gross axle weight rating (GAWR) is the maximum distributed weight that may be supported by an axle of a road vehicle. Typically, GAWR is followed by either the letters FR or RR, which indicate front or rear axles respectively.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #25
Silver Member

It appears the AKTIV is shorter and heavier than the Travato...OCC on the Travato is around 1800 lbs.
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #26
Platinum Member

On another thread, we figured out that Roadtrek plays some games with their weight ratings that can significantly mislead customers on how much cargo capacity they will really have. I don't know if this carries over to Hymer specs, or not, but probably does.

Short story is that they don't have any optional equipment figured in the unloaded vehicle weight when the calculate the load capacity, so you need to subtract the weight of any and all things that are options by Roadtrek and sometimes that is hard to determine, as they don't really have a list of what stuff is not included in the unloaded weight, nor do they have a list of what those things way.

On a Roadtrek 210, for instance, it was found to have under 1/2 of the stated capacity when delivered.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #27
Platinum Member

If that weight number on the Aktiv is correct, then it would be a good bit heavier than a Travato. That is perplexing, as the Travato is built on the 3500, and the Aktiv is built on the 2500. The size difference alone should make it lighter by several hundred pounds, regardless of the heavier springs and axles in the 3500, or the "careful" material selections of the Europeans (LOL!).

My Travatos have all weighed around 7600 lbs, give or take a few.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #28

Default Aktiv Wet Weight

Getting Aktiv

According to this article in the Jan 2017 MotorHome magazine they reported 7,312 lbs.
RangerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #29
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRV View Post
Getting Aktiv

According to this article in the Jan 2017 MotorHome magazine they reported 7,312 lbs.
Thanks for the article heads-up! I have limited time to find these kinds of articles and appreciated the read.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #30
Silver Member

Default Battery | Solar Thoughts

Yes, the Aktiv is on a ProMaster 2500 chassis. It seems like the Aktiv is based on the UK Hymercar Ayers Rock which uses AGM batteries. https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/hymercar-camper-vans/models-on-a-fiat-chassis/hymercar-on-a-fiat-chassis-with-bathroom/equipment/standard-equipment.html

It seemed that the Lithium Ion batteries and VoltStart were a direct result of the Roadtrek acquisition.

I chose to stick with the standard 2-6V AGM batteries, optional 250W Solar setup, and no VoltStart. While I could see the pros of lithium batteries, I figured if I screwed up the AGM batteries while in a remote area I might be able to replace them and continue my trip rather than head home early and deal with a $250 warranty issue later.

As for testing and learning, I have the benefit of uncovered, oversize vehicle parking at work to do some easy, local testing with the solar system and daily house battery usage to run the refrigerator when the rig sits for my 12hr shift.

And, before going anywhere too far from town I plan on spending several overnights at Oregon State Parks within a 50 mile radius. (Our HOA doesn't like seeing these types of rigs parked in the neighborhood or driveway, so I'll be field testing right away rather than parking at an RV storage space.)

I'm aware of the modification the FitRV did to protect their alternator. I'll have to take a closer look when my rig arrives. The pictures I took of the undercarriage do not show much up front, as I was focusing on the gray water tank.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #31
Silver Member

Quick Update: My Aktiv was delayed again, there was a chassis delay. They have the chassis now and it is going into production by the end of January. I am now expecting to take delivery in early March. The Hymer representative offered to hot ship it, to make a February delivery, but I declined due to my work schedule. I had originally hoped for a mid-April delivery so I really don't mind this latest delay. ~ Chris
Old 01-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #32
BBQ
Platinum Member

I went to look at the Aktiv yesterday.

It is a well designed and well built RV.
The settee is comfortable.
The table space is good eough for computer work.
(compared to some single pole tables that are wobbly)
The bed is nice. The storage under the bed is useful.
The bath is tight, but functional.

I like it.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:41 AM   #33
Platinum Member

I like the Aktiv much better than the 59g. Seems better built, lighter interior (more windows, skylight, much better window design), underhood generator, cassette toilet, built on short chassis and 6 year warranty. It is more money though and in its first run (I always try to avoid first runs of cars, etc) early builds, but otherwise no brainer in my opinion. However that is of course from my perspective based on my requirements of how we would use the van.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #34
Platinum Member

The one to consider is the 2.0 - it's a closer match to Travato, and probably a more liveable van with it's larger bed area. I like the compact bathroom in the Aktiv, and the more usable front area. Neither has much of a galley area, but the T has the big refrigerator.

You don't have to get all the tech features and can keep the costs down. But it's still going to be close to 100k, and you can have your choice of Travatos for 70-75k. How big the tanks are in the larger van would probably be the deciding factor between the T and the A, if you can swallow the cost difference.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #35
Silver Member

@BBQ: I like it too =]

@Keyne: Being an early adopter can be challenging, but I am accustom to it. As for price, when I factored in the value of the extra solar and went with AGM batteries, the price became more comparable to the 59g. I also chose no VoltStart, stuck to the undercarriage mount spare, no driver/passenger steps, and no extra guest twin mattress option. 6yr warranty played into the decision too. Note rhe AGMs only 1yr like most rigs.

@Wincrasher: Larger 30 gallon fresh water tank in the Aktiv vs 59g was major for us actually. Locally the best prices we could negotiate for 59g 2017.5 models was $79-81 at multiple dealers. Refrigerator in 59g is condenser vs compressor; I prefer compressor style.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMTNS View Post
@BBQ: I like it too =]

@Keyne: Being an early adopter can be challenging, but I am accustom to it. As for price, when I factored in the value of the extra solar and went with AGM batteries, the price became more comparable to the 59g. I also chose no VoltStart, stuck to the undercarriage mount spare, no driver/passenger steps, and no extra guest twin mattress option. 6yr warranty played into the decision too. Note rhe AGMs only 1yr like most rigs.

@Wincrasher: Larger 30 gallon fresh water tank in the Aktiv vs 59g was major for us actually. Locally the best prices we could negotiate for 59g 2017.5 models was $79-81 at multiple dealers. Refrigerator in 59g is condenser vs compressor; I prefer compressor style.
I am new to the site but have been watching this thread closely. We will be retiring this year and I have finally convinced my DH to sell the house, put everything in storage and live out of a camper van for 1-2 years.

We saw a Roadtrek a few years ago at a campground and were very impressed with the length compared to larger RV's. We tent camp now and are very comfortable with roughing it but living in a camper would be a huge adjustment. We like the Class B for convenience of getting around and lower gas mileage.

4DMTNS, I will be following your updates when you finally get your ATKIV and try it out. Will you be living in your van or using it for recreation only?
livinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Looking forward to your updates.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:58 AM   #38
Silver Member

Shipping. Soon. | We are nearing the end of production AND is on schedule to ship within the week. Looking forward to adventures on the road and into the wilderness.

https://instagram.com/p/BSQAIqGg0sm/
Old 04-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #39
Silver Member

AdventureVan Has Arrived | https://instagram.com/p/BTIBiCIFVPb/

Got the call just before noon that my Aktiv was officially received at BlueDog and ready for a preview and last-minute measurements for gear prep before it entered the pre-delivery inspection. Pickup is scheduled for next week, first road trip later that day!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMTNS View Post
AdventureVan Has Arrived | https://instagram.com/p/BTIBiCIFVPb/

Got the call just before noon that my Aktiv was officially received at BlueDog and ready for a preview and last-minute measurements for gear prep before it entered the pre-delivery inspection. Pickup is scheduled for next week, first road trip later that day!
I was TOTALLY focused on asking about 'last minute measurements' until I started viewing your Instagram pictures and became TOTALLY distracted.

Russell Street Bar.B.Que PDX

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote