Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
And, if you are really boondocking out in the wilderness, I wouldn’t hesitate to dig a hole to dump 4 gal of cassette waste after confirming with the BLM or USFS that it was allowed and following the rules on distance from water sources, etc. 4 gal of cassette waste isn’t much different from a group digging a hole for waste when tent camping for several days out in the wild. Follow the rules though...
Please don't do this.

It is NOT practical (or reasonable) to dig a hole in the backcountry big enough to accept 4 gallons of waste. Nor does it EVER conform to BLM of USFS regulations. Nor do groups of tent campers dig a trench latrine (despite what the Boy Scout Handbook said in 1950). Backcountry campers must dig individual "cat hole" latrines 6 inches deep and 200 feet from any water source. They are single use. Dumping four gallons of sewage in the backcountry is totally illegal on public land. Even cat hole latrines are going out of style in favor of “pack it out” toilets:

https://www.blm.gov/or/resources/rec...bletoilets.pdf
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #22
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
You don't have to have any know how of a cassette system in commenting about digging holes in the ground for 5 gallons of waste and trudging through a McDonalds. I do know, by simple math you have to dump four times to my one and thus need to find more dump opportunities more frequently than I do.

As for Advanced RV they have already installed both composting toilets and cassettes for customers. In designing my short 144 Sprinter I already know I can get a black tank toilet at least 12-15 gallon capacity.
+1 for a black tank. This is coming from a tired cassette user. I want a black tank, macerator, and a garden hose.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:47 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Please don't do this.

It is NOT practical (or reasonable) to dig a hole in the backcountry big enough to accept 4 gallons of waste. Nor does it EVER conform to BLM of USFS regulations. Nor do groups of tent campers dig a trench latrine (despite what the Boy Scout Handbook said in 1950). Backcountry campers must dig individual "cat hole" latrines 6 inches deep and 200 feet from any water source. They are single use. Dumping four gallons of sewage in the backcountry is totally illegal on public land. Even cat hole latrines are going out of style in favor of “pack it out” toilets:

https://www.blm.gov/or/resources/rec...bletoilets.pdf
RANT ON

Look at what I stated!

I would do it only if it was allowed.

Are you positive it is not allowed anywhere on public lands in the US and Canada, including Alaska, the Yukon, and the Northwest Territories?

As I said, I will find out if it is allowed before I ever do it...

Clearly it is not allowed in most areas that are heavily used by campers to avoid the problems cited and I am aware of the options and carry a spare cassette to extend the time between dumping.

Any reason you made the assumption that I might do something illegal?

Have I come off as someone who is trying to circumvent the rules?

If you want to provide the info you provided that is great but don’t aim it at me...

RANT OFF
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:09 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Are you positive it is not allowed anywhere on public lands in the US and Canada, including Alaska, the Yukon, and the Northwest Territories?
I intended to limit my definition of "public lands" to BLM and USFS properties (as you specified). Given that definition, yes, I am positive.

I do not read, and certainly did not intend my message to accuse you or anyone else of anything. If anyone interprets it that way, I apologize.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:29 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
+1 for a black tank. This is coming from a tired cassette user. I want a black tank, macerator, and a garden hose.
What are the key point for you to be tired with a cassette sytem. If I remember correctly you were on the edge.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:06 AM   #26
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
What are the key point for you to be tired with a cassette sytem. If I remember correctly you were on the edge.
I'm getting tired of lugging the cassette into the bathroom and rinsing in the laundry sink. It's not bad but when I build my next house I'll make sure there is a clean out in the driveway. Then I can drive home open insert my sewer hose in the driveway and be done. then I can quit dumping grey water in the gravel next to the driveway. I only have a 5 gallon container for my grey water now anyway.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:36 PM   #27
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
OH NO!!! I'm worst than my wife about changing my mind. I want my next class B to look like a passenger van because it's also my daily driver and after seeing the three inch sewer valve hanging down I decided that I can live with a cassette. Actually it's easier because I don't have a sewer clean out currently....and I do more traveling in the van than camping.

And I WILL NOT cut a big hole in the side of the van. The cassette door will go on the inside.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
OH NO!!! I'm worst than my wife about changing my mind. I want my next class B to look like a passenger van because it's also my daily driver and after seeing the three inch sewer valve hanging down I decided that I can live with a cassette. Actually it's easier because I don't have a sewer clean out currently....and I do more traveling in the van than camping.

And I WILL NOT cut a big hole in the side of the van. The cassette door will go on the inside.
Rear doors or sliding door are great to access cassette, I use sliding door.

A macerator toilet or a regular toilet with a black tank and a macerator pump would reduce outlet diameter to 3/4” to 1” coupling or coiled hose.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #29
jon
Platinum Member

Yea my current van has the cassette door inside the back doors. My new one will have the door behind my two person second row bench seat.

Have you seen the new C220 cassette toilet. It's not much bigger than my old "curve" portable toilet. This means my wet bath can be even smaller.
https://www.thetford.com/product/c220-cassette-toilets/
Old 07-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #30
Platinum Member

One of the differences to your old Curve will be the vent. In my 402c I have the vent in the cassette which opens up upon insertion.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #31
jon
Platinum Member

My C200 that is in my current van didn't have a vent. I had to order a "SOG" powered vent from the UK which works very very well.

Tags
aktiv, black water, dumping, travato 59g