Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Very comfortable, natural sitting position.
Very confo you will have to try yourself but most of the people are saying best van ever built in North America
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #22

Has anyone put a composting toilet, either a Nature's Head or Separatt, in a Hymer Aktiv? Could it be retrofitted?
Squarepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #23
Bronze Member

If I had a "do over" and was buying new I would actually seriously consider the cassette toilet over the traditional setup. My van has the normal black tank with a 10 gal capacity. I can tell you the black tank is very maintenance intensive, difficult to keep clean and smelling decent. Now the gate valve on mine is leaking and needs to be replaced.

The cassette does require more frequent dumping but it's a lot easier than having to get a FHU site or find a dump station, hook up hoses, flush the tank. I have even seen people tow the cassette tank behind a car, take it to a dump station, dump it, and hose it out to get any sludge out.

The only concern I would have is if you plan on doing a lot of boondocking. Then you would probably want the extra capacity of a traditional setup.
Nutsy_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #24

Wouldn't you need to find a dumping station anyways since you also have a grey tank to deal with as well?

I don't have any experience with cassette toilet but since all RVs have grey tanks, I would think having a black tank doesn't add much more dumping duty....
Acei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acei View Post
Wouldn't you need to find a dumping station anyways since you also have a grey tank to deal with as well?

I don't have any experience with cassette toilet but since all RVs have grey tanks, I would think having a black tank doesn't add much more dumping duty....
I have a cassette toilet and a 26 gal grey tank. When not using a dump station, I typically dump the cassette and the grey tank (use a 5 gal water tote) into a pit toilet at a campground or rest area. Stayed for two weeks at Teklanika Campground inside Denali NP. They have a sink for washing dishes on the back of the pit toilets where the grey water dumps into the pit along with everything else. Every couple days I carried the cassette and the water tote over to dump them. On our trip to Alaska last year I probably only used a dump station 20% of the time, all the rest were pit toilet dumps.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I have 14 gal. grey water tank with the ¾” harden hose outlet drain. Very often I just drive over the hole and dump it, if not I use a short garden house. Hein from the Sprinter forum has a similar setup as shown on his video.

Cassette, I am in the liking camp having both in the past. Yes, frequency is high but I can clean it, cleaning black tank is a task. I park my van in the garage so not having odor is critical.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote