Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #1

Default Alternatives to Aktiv Cassette Toilet?

We are beginning our process of shopping for our first Class B and really like the quality and layout of the Aktiv....but definitely not the Cassette. Has anyone explored options? Hymer redirected us to Roadtrek but we really need a lounge up front and garage. if a custom / sports mobile route is the only option, would love to hear feedback as well please.

Note: We are boaters who have lived with an 11 gal blackwater tank. The limited 4.5 gal plus the weight of the cassette just won't work for us.
Bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #2

I have a MB Sprinter chassis, 2015 ERA 70A. The Blk tank is 8 gallons. We can go 3 days before a dump is needed. The class B has less volume space below the floor. The ERA "A" model fits our roadlife perfectly. No slideouts always set up to use the galley or the queen bed. We spent 29 days freestyle in the Fla keys. Just feet from the water!
Roadman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You could look at these floorplans:

https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...-xl21-xl-flex/

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...ato/floorplans
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
jon
Platinum Member

I was in the same situation. We need second row seats for the daughter. I know she could sit on a rear sofa but it's not the same. Plus my wife loves the table so she could work on her laptop while traveling. The problem is that the AKTIV has shoulder belts but a cassette toilet. The Travato G does not have shoulder belts.

We ended up ordering a Transit, because most conversion shops will not add forward seating in a Promaster (liability issues), and our conversion shop starts building next month.
Attached Images
File Type: png transit1.png (288.2 KB, 63 views)
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. Any idea if the Flex available in the US?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Probably best to call them. There was some discussion of wait lists a while ago.

Their website says:

Quote:
Conversion sold in USA directly from the factory

Starting from $ 107,019 CAD
(Canadian dollars)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearkeley View Post
We have one. Was a 13 month wait 3 years ago. Worth it. Perfect B for us.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearkeley View Post
If you're talking about the Safari Condo, last I knew, they don't order any U.S. vans to convert. Therefore if you live in the U.S. you have to buy the empty van in the U.S. to their specs, take it to Quebec, leave it while they convert it, and go up to pick it up.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:15 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
If you're talking about the Safari Condo, last I knew, they don't order any U.S. vans to convert. Therefore if you live in the U.S. you have to buy the empty van in the U.S. to their specs, take it to Quebec, leave it while they convert it, and go up to pick it up.
That's exactly the process. You can have the empty van delivered directly from the factory (in our case RAM) to Vermont...so only a 4 hour drive to factory.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #10

Jon,

How much does the Van conversion cost on the Transit from the Attached Thumbnails at Sportmobile? Why you choose the Ford Transit over the Sprinter?

Thanks
David
photochefs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #11
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photochefs88 View Post
Jon,

How much does the Van conversion cost on the Transit from the Attached Thumbnails at Sportmobile? Why you choose the Ford Transit over the Sprinter?

Thanks
David
I don't know the price of a Sportsmobile because I'm not using that Co. I would say around $40-$50K. I'm using Van Specialties in Portland and I will add some fancy stuff so it'll be around $40K and $40K for the Transit. It'll be worth it to me to have a van built to my specs that will look like a passenger van.

I just sold my damn Sprinter 4x4 van that had a lot of emissions problems. Stalling on mountain passes and the dreaded "10 starts to limp mode" when I was 1000 miles from home. It's GAS for me from now on plus I like the look of a Transit mid roof van.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:54 AM   #12

Jon - Thanks you for your speedy reply, how long will Van Specialties take in Portland to do your Van Conversion, please provide some photos of your new Ford Transit, currently I have a Roadtrek Agile SS looking to get replaced.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
jon
Platinum Member

It's not about how long it takes. It's getting through the waiting list. I left a deposit in Feb and they told me that their waiting list was about eight months so my van arriving next week will be about right. Then it should take a month to get the work done if they have the right parts.
My suggestion is to find a shop and get a deposit in. Van Specialties will refund deposits...Sportsmobile won't.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #14

Jon, very helpful. Thanks. We’re you able to do a similar layout as the Aktiv? What size transit did you end up getting? Do you recall what your tank capacities were? Did you get the 4x4 option too? Mid-roof....interesting! It looks like we may be a couple of years out, at this point, so maybe we’ll just buy yours then! ��
Old 10-15-2018, 03:06 AM   #15
jon
Platinum Member

I did my layout based on the AKTIV but with a sofa and without a cassette toilet. But the inspiration for the front came from the attached Outside Van picture. I'll only have a 4ft bed in the back and I won't know my final tank capacities or the final layout until I drive down and go over the Transit EB 20 ft van with a tape measure and decide on a final layout.
I'll post some pictures when it's done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front dinnette.jpg (212.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #16

Thanks for posting the front layout in leather, not that much room left for the toilet and bed on the Ford Transit 20 ft van, look similar to Safari Condo!
https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...-xl21-xl-flex/
Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
Bronze Member

Look at Panoramic Rv they are new manufacture in Quebec Canada they have everything you want a regular toilet with black tank a gray shower a big refrigerator, and a lot of storage. Very well made very hight quality.
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
RKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
We have one. Was a 13 month wait 3 years ago. Worth it. Perfect B for us.
Tell me, is the bench seat comfortable? We’ve sat in the Hymer and the Winnebago and it feels like your head and neck is being pushed forward at an uncomfortable angle.
RKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKM View Post
Tell me, is the bench seat comfortable? We’ve sat in the Hymer and the Winnebago and it feels like your head and neck is being pushed forward at an uncomfortable angle.
Seat is very comfortable with a good back support no comparaison with hymer or Winnebago this builder is doing things very well built very good insulation and very good quality compare to others the cabineti are just great quality
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKM View Post
Very comfortable, natural sitting position.