Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
Too bad. I didn't understand what the heck those features were on our new Subaru, but now I love them. Thanks.
Your best source for what is actually included is main Ram/Promaster website.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Default Camping World Sunlight Van One aka V1 [ hands on review ]

After a 7 hour drive (including fuel and lunch stop), I finally visited a dealer that had a Sunlight Van One (SV1). I had been considering if the SV1 was low enough in price, I could use it as the basis for making changes and enhancements rather than buy a more expensive Class B already setup like I would prefer. Without any ill will intended, I can only say do not even consider purchasing one of these. Yes it is the lowest MSRP price (or lowest I know of) in a Class B. But virtually everything you may have seen wrong in the two part video made by another person on You Tube at some other dealer is exactly the same issues I saw.

I will not recite them all or add any pictures here that are not already shown very well in that You Tube video. It was just shocking to see wall panels that flexed and bowed out. Cabinet doors not aligned well. Cabinet interior panels falling away from their double-sticky back tape position. Control panel wiring exposed due to dividing panel already fallen off. Forward bathroom wall bowed out again due to double-sticky backed tape no longer adhering two surfaces. And why oh WHY would anyone use this type of tape in a range of temperatures and humidity to adhere anything, especially with more than a few inches of this tape?

Continuing on; looks like no insulation behind the walls but that is only where I could see and that was because the wall panel was already separated; I didn't have to pry anything to look at this. I can literally go on and on about the worst quality assembly and quality control I have ever seen. But one more item I must comment on that is also in the two part You Tube video; the shower curtain track -

All you have to do is stroll into the bathroom and without even trying to seek out issues, the ceiling mounted track for the shower curtain looks like it has stress cracks in it. When our eyes focus on these cracks, they are not cracks at all. It appears that a prototype was hack sawed at key points to fit the track around the ceiling. And that prototype should have been translated into a manufactured casting or pressed into shape to provide a satisfactory product, not a hacked (literally) piece of metal with rough enough edges to draw blood. Ok so you would have to stick your fingers up there to draw blood but no kidding, I was able to split surface skin on a finger (did not draw blood) by examining how rough and crude this track really is.

Could I move the curtain around the track without issue? While the track makes a path like a mild roller coaster for the curtain to travel, it wasn't terrible but it certainly took a few stops and pulls to get the curtain around. How long this track will last? With most of the supportive metal of the track hack or band sawed through, certainly not long. If nothing else, a total embarrasment to show your van to anyone else that has any other brand in the USA that is made here.

I suppose the one thing in the You Tube pair of videos that I did not see was the backward gravity waste pipe. This van actually had the 3 inch waste pipe properly bracket-attached. What I wanted to see however, was how the waste system worked since there is ZERO documentation online, at least the last time I checked. Erwin Hymer Group of North America certainly does not have to post PDF copies of their Owner Manuals online but I do wonder why they have not, or have not yet. Enough time has past since they landed on the shores of North America.

Beyond information that would help sales by having having these manuals online as a simple information source, it is a wonder that nobody has posted review videos that enlighten prospective buyers on the features of the SV1.

So how does the waste system work? I can tell you the three people involved in sales I have talked to had no clue. As it turns out, the four page (well, three pages with a basically blank rear page) states it correctly once I crawled under the SV1 to see how it was plumbed. The brochure says the SV1 has a "12 V macerating toilet and gravity dump".

Assuming that a macerator is built into the toilet per the brochure, the path out of the grey/black tank looks straightforward as long as the pipe is hung properly. There is a gate valve to open but the curious thing is the end of the pipe has a garden hose cap. I'm not sure gravity alone will get the macerated waste down several feet of 3 inch pipe and then squeezed out through a garden hose sized hole without some mechanical assistance.

Sales guy had no clue. This SV1 looked like it had storm troopers through it enough times to be missing any documentation, unless the office had it stuffed away somewhere. The sales guy wasn't taking this to heart so I did not push the topic.

Oh and one more thing. Go look at one of these and do a simulated run to the bathroom to do a #1or #2; your choice, and you have family or friends in the van. Actually this would be a good exercise for an executive from EHNG or CW to try. Just try to close the door panels of the bathroom for privacy. If your of good humor, you might find it an amusing puzzle. If your lacking humor and patience, the complex and odd door panels will test your frame of mind and body that needs to complete a pit stop.

Conceptually the SV1 can be spot on for an entry level Class B for camping or light travel use for one or two people. Execution of the concept in my opinion needs to have been done better. I do hope CW and HYMER make a Rev B of this with the same idea, just done to a higher standard.

Gene
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #23

I've posted on another thread about the Sunlight V1 and some of my thoughts already. I own one and have used it many times now. Yes there are quality bugs with a few things that aren't the greatest but trying to compare the V1 to higher end rigs with your expectations is not fair in my opinion. People are complaining about Camping World not knowing about these. Do you really need them to explain basic functions of an RV? It's pretty simple. The Hymer brochure covers all the specs. I don't trust most salespeople to be experts anyway. You would be crazy not to do your own research first and become educated before looking. Don't rely on a sales guy only.

Did my shower wall separate? Yes and I added some adhesive and clamps and guess what? It's fixed! Bottom line is it's a very functional rig and works amazing. I would not trade mine for any other B out there. Period. Great layout, amazing having the Ecotrek and underhood generator. It has a king bed and larger shower than almost all Roadtreks. Works for me. Honestly anyone can nit pick about quality and features on any vehicle. Most entry level pop ups and light weight towables are complete garbage to me. Paper thin walls, cheap materials, etc etc. All depends on what you are willing to accept and live with for the price point you are looking at. Good luck finding another Class B for 60K with the features the V1 has. You won't find it.
dev13steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #24

Also FYI - a Class 3 hitch can be installed on the Van One. Attached is the photo of mine with bike rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170803_194723.jpg (188.0 KB, 15 views)
dev13steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default A few pictures of Sunshine Van One shower track

The link included below will let you see the shower track HYMER custom makes and includes in the Sunshine Van One (aka Sunshine V 1 or SV1 for short).

There is also a picture of the bathroom door in its closed position. In hind sight, I should have made a video clip to show how to operate the two door panels. I have not seen anyone post one on You Tube yet.

It is not difficult but your likely to puzzle over it the first time. After a second or third try you will have the process down pat. We can call this dutch door thingy, ahh, unique. Get your friends, family and the Sunshine Van One curious at RV parts to give this a whirl. Advanced practice will make future attempts to a quick and semi-private trip to the toilet, well, a bit faster.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4leykvsnl...yZMHLzX5a?dl=0
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #26
GAH
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
Here is the link to the North American Carado

http://caradorv.com/models/axion/
thanks for the info. we are reserching our first class b now.

I like the Carado layout with the couch turning into a bed. I have been playing around designing my own and I think with a longer model you could put the galley on the same side as the couch/bed (galley similar to the Travado twin bed model). Then you could line the other wall with narrow cabinets and storage.

Has anyone ever seen a model like I am describing? I really like the bathroom in the back of the cab.
GAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:07 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Hymer just presented in Europe a concept "Duo Car" with a similar floor plan as the Axion.

https://www.facebook.com/campervans....51692208193494

Why are we getting what looks like a crappy design and cheap build quality from a company that has a good reputation worldwide? Or am I wrong believing that they do have good credentials. Is Roadtrek intentionally sabotaging the Hymer products to keep their line of products higher up in the food chain?

see the other thread on this forum
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f7...on-6645-8.html

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:17 AM   #28
Platinum Member

There hasn't been any side sofa models since the Great West Vans of the early 00s. I had a 2004 Classic Supreme on a Ford 350 van. The galley is always across from the bed... perhaps because of balancing the weight. Mine also had a rear bath... a larger fridge in front of it... with cabinetry at the end of bed.

So the Axion is the first side sofa in over 10 years. I agree that it needs more storage. Putting it on the same platform as the Banff would help.

I don't believe that it is RT, but the decision to present a cheaper, more affordable option... which these boards have been demanding for years now.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-03-2017, 02:14 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
There hasn't been any side sofa models since the Great West Vans of the early 00s. I had a 2004 Classic Supreme on a Ford 350 van. The galley is always across from the bed... perhaps because of balancing the weight. Mine also had a rear bath... a larger fridge in front of it... with cabinetry at the end of bed.

So the Axion is the first side sofa in over 10 years. I agree that it needs more storage. Putting it on the same platform as the Banff would help.

I don't believe that it is RT, but the decision to present a cheaper, more affordable option... which these boards have been demanding for years now.
I agree, it is an interesting forgotten floor plan for small vehicles that should get more attention. A lot of DIY conversions use that layout. The only thing that bothers me is accessing the toilet at night. You should at least sleep with your head toward the front which is not "natural" because vans are generally leaning toward the cab.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I agree, it is an interesting forgotten floor plan for small vehicles that should get more attention. A lot of DIY conversions use that layout. The only thing that bothers me is accessing the toilet at night. You should at least sleep with your head toward the front which is not "natural" because vans are generally leaning toward the cab.
I always slept head to front in my GWV... never detected any leaning to the front. It has always been my favorite floorplan as a single traveler. I was thrilled when I saw this rig coming out, but there is just not enough storage for me (schlepping stuff back and forth to AZ for the winter)

In my GWV, if you used the sofa as a double bed (I actually removed the sofa back and put it in my garage)... you could squeeze past it... barely... and I'm small. I don't think you could in the Axion based on the pictures. I never converted it because I would only use it as a single bed. But crawling to the end at night wouldn't be much fun.

I see a rather limited market for this one.

But I think we've hijacked the Sunlight thread. I think you (GeorgeB - GAH started it) should have posted this on the Axion thread.

The moderators could perhaps move these posts over there.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-04-2017, 02:25 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Looking at the latest vans from Hymer in NA like the Sunlight, etc., it makes one wonder if Hymer really had anything to do with them. They look like home-grown JH specials to me to try and drive market share. They don't even look like they share the parts bin with the likes of the Aktiv,or even any of the Roadtreks.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:34 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

But I think we've hijacked the Sunlight thread. I think you (GeorgeB - GAH started it) should have posted this on the Axion thread.

The moderators could perhaps move these posts over there.
I agree, we're lost with all these individual models rushed out of Hymer's plant based on the same doubtful conponents. Yodar and Seldar were also referencing links of the Carado Axion in the previous pages.

Again, I'm appaled to see so many similar offerings with such bad design. The cut-out shower curtain rod is not something I expected to see from Hymer.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:21 AM   #33
Platinum Member

I read this and this comes to mind: "If you always do what you always did - Then you always get what you always got." Sounds like the little ole Mattress Maker who yells out - "what label do you want." How many Models do they really have - this week? Ron
Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 AM   #34

My local Camping World just got a in new 2018. Would be good for my wife and I except for not having seat belts in the back. Would be nice for occasionally transporting in-laws and friends. How difficult and expensive would it be to have them added? On one side the side seating/bed is located over the tanks but on the opposite side there is nothing underneath.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Someone here found storage space under their seat-belted bench seat in a Travato 59G and included photos. There was only a little available space because of the impressive gigantic steel frame supporting the seat belts. It makes me think any seat belt retrofit that isn't expensive and difficult wouldn't be safe.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote