Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #41
Bronze Member

I also didn’t like the cooktop and asked for a recessed flat cooktop which Hymer agreed to. In addition, when it comes in, I am going to replace the short countertop and extend it and upgrade it to Corian (or something similar) with an undermount sink. I will probably extend the countertop on the other side too and change it to Corian. Relatively easy upgrades I can do myself fairly inexpensively. I like the idea of being able to customize it a little too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39DA3F9B-4865-4F52-B4D9-3E07591851F5.jpg (185.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 1003FA23-E1B9-4847-9C8A-7FC9FB5F5125.jpg (105.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 4D046FB5-F0EC-4817-B8C8-78B7717B1C49.jpg (106.9 KB, 45 views)
Tami2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #42
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melplu24 View Post
I am a master plumber and looked at the banff . What is the question?
I am glad that you looked at my question.
Now, I have not looked at the Banff myself - but I am told:
a) The plumbing has bad press-fits. The gluing work is apparently terrible. The black PVC pipe is likely to leak
b) The plack pipe is hung so low that an iPhone will not fit between the black pipe and the ground - making it the lowest point in the vehicle. It is also so far from the axle that you are likely to puncture it by going over a speed bump
c) The PVC traps under the sink are not glued well

Is this true?

Thanks again!
jharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #43
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami2 View Post
More pictures of Hymer Banff from Hershey RV Show
Thanks for posting the photos. These greatly help!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #44
Gold Member

Quote:
Agreed that the bathroom door cabinets in the photo on the earlier page are horrid (Post #17). Thankfully, they have been replaced with a “normal” door. This is a photo of the Banff from the Hershey RV Show. I’ll post a few more.
Many thanks @Tami2!
Looks like the shower curtain hanger has been fixed. No "cuts" that we saw in the Sunlight.
But was this Banff fitted with the "chassis upgrade" - i.e., backup camera, factory-installed hitch, etc.?
Can't see the backup camera in this photo
Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #45
Gold Member

Quote:
I also didn’t like the cooktop and asked for a recessed flat cooktop which Hymer agreed to. In addition, when it comes in, I am going to replace the short countertop and extend it and upgrade it to Corian (or something similar) with an undermount sink. I will probably extend the countertop on the other side too and change it to Corian. Relatively easy upgrades I can do myself fairly inexpensively. I like the idea of being able to customize it a little too.
Great photos @Tami2!

But I may be missing the point here, what's the issue with the stove?
Is the suggestion that it should have a cover that is flush with the counter-top, giving it one bug smooth, even surface?
In that case, I am going to complain about the sink too -

Are you suggesting that the counter-tops will stain and scratch easily? Is it some cheap plastic?

What about the fridge?

Others have complained that the microwave is not mounted correctly and there are large gaps between the walls and the appliances.
Is that true?

Many thanks again for your comments
Old 10-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #46
Bronze Member

Not really an issue with the stove. I just want it flush with the counter top and covered to make more counter space when I'm not cooking. Since I plan to swap out the counter top, I'll put in an undermount sink. Neither of these are an "issue" in the Banff, I just renovate houses and know what I like. The counter tops in the Banff are fine the way they are. I just want to fancy it up a little bit.

The fridge is a regular RV fridge.

The microwave, I asked for a convection microwave, and they are putting one in. There were no gaps. It was installed correctly. We looked it over pretty extensively. I know the YouTube video you are referring to with the Sunlight. Because I had seen the video, I looked specifically for any and all of those issues and they were not there. The Banff is definitely not the Sunlight quality in that video.

I have more pics of the Banff. I can post them.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #47
Bronze Member

As far as the Chassis, this is what I know. I just bought a Promaster 2 months ago. Because everyone wanted the back-up camera option, Dodge is starting to make it standard now. I don't know if the Banff at the show had a back-up camera, but I ordered the Banff and it will have the back-up camera. I made sure of that. The one I ordered also has the factory hitch. If you end up purchasing or ordering one, if these things are important to you, make sure it's either included or order it.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #48
Platinum Member

A convection + microwave usually requires more clearance around it because of the added heat they generate. Did they have enough room, or do they have to go smaller on the oven to get more air gap?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:54 AM   #49
Bronze Member

That I don’t know. I wasn’t aware of that restriction. They are putting one in so it has to be one of those 2 options.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #50
Bronze Member

More pictures of Hymer Banff, Hershey RV Show.
The bed is a king and is easy to set up. One platform slides between the 2 beds and sits on rail supports. Pull the cushions over. Done.
You can see 2 tables are stored on the back doors. There are 3 spots for them. Side by side between the beds. That would make a seating area for 6 people comfortably. Or a place up front between the swivel seats.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:11 AM   #51
Bronze Member

More pictures of Hymer Banff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85665062-54DE-4C9C-944C-FF0D24219852.jpg (148.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 1CCEA037-8752-4DA2-B1F8-CAE7A7DCC4EA.jpg (167.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #52
Bronze Member

The one thing I wish I could change is the windows. The windows are fine, but bigger would be even better. I really liked the Travato for the openness and windows. In the end, the Banff won out for me. I like the shorter length. I didn’t want the loud generator in the Travato so I appreciate the underhood generator (second alternator) in the Banff. I like the Eko Trek, lithium batteries, solar panels, VoltStart, and macerator pump for the bathroom. (Caveat: Some or these are upgrades.). I don’t mind changing out the countertops to make them longer to fit my needs. I thought the value was there with everything else. I’m glad you found the pictures helpful. Hopefully, you’ll find this other information helpful as well. It’s only my opinion, of course. I hope you get somewhere where you can checkout the Banff for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3193EF7A-63D5-49F8-AEF4-30C63CB735ED.jpg (105.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:44 AM   #53

[QUOTE=jharu;63986]I am glad that you looked at my question.
a) The plumbing has bad press-fits. The gluing work is apparently terrible. The black PVC pipe is likely to leak
b) The plack pipe is hung so low that an iPhone will not fit between the black pipe and the ground - making it the lowest point in the vehicle. It is also so far from the axle that you are likely to puncture it by going over a speed bump

Is this true?

Thanks again![/QUOTE
Melplu24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:46 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharu View Post
I am glad that you looked at my question.

Is this true?

Thanks again!
the water line in the banff is made of pex pipe which is a very good product and does not break when it freezes. The pex pipe uses crimp rings and sinch rings . The crimp rings are very good and that is the only type I use the sinch rings use to not be as good but have gotten way better over the last few years . The drain pipes under the sink were pvc and were glued and primed . When you see primer on the pipes they won't come apart. The drain line under the van did not hang down as low as you described . The toilet in the banff has a Maserating pump that you can use if the sewer connection at an re park is to high or if you need to pump sewer a long way. Over all the plumbing I saw was pretty good not exactly the way I would of done some of it but it should work with no issues.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:54 AM   #55
Platinum Member

The black waste lines have always been ABS from everything I have seen on our Roadtrek and at the home centers. The newer versions of it are foamed ABS so lighter, but also weaker. Normally, you don't use primer on ABS like you do on PVC, so you don't see a color indication of it on the pipe. You do need to have the right adhesive, though.

The Roadtreks I have seen, except the older ones have all used pex for water lines with plastic or brass fittings and stainless crimp rings, which is a good system. I would not say they are non breaking if frozen, but they are less likely to fail than the older systems. Even if the piping survives, the fittings often won't when frozen.

One thing to check carefully on the waste plumbing is around the exhaust and other hot areas under the van. Roadtrek has had some issues in the past with the drain lines sagging where the passed over the exhaust and weren't adequately shielded.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 AM   #56

Pex pipe has heat memory so if it freezes it will swell up and when in thawed will return to its original form. Pex generally will not break if frozen but it can under the right conditions . I am a plumber in the north where it gets down into the teens and I have seen pex many times freeze and not break. Abs is actually a better system than pvc because of the glue that is used because the glue fuses the pipe together.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:26 AM   #57
Gold Member

Hi Guys:

I learned a lot about the Banff today. Thanks a million for such detailed explanation
Old 10-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #58
Gold Member

One more question.

Those of you who have seen the Banff, have you seen a Zion-style or Winnebago-Travato-59K style screendoor?
If the van is the same, the door has to be the same, which means one should be able to fit a screen-door on the side of the Banff.

We don't have too many bugs in the great West, but I am sure there are mosquitoes everywhere
Old 10-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #59
Bud
Platinum Member

"We don't have too many bugs in the great West, but I am sure there are mosquitoes everywhere"

Which is why this is nice inside your B or near, along with DEET outside:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #60
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"We don't have too many bugs in the great West, but I am sure there are mosquitoes everywhere"

Which is why this is nice inside your B or near, along with DEET outside:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bud
Love it, Bud!