Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #1

Default Comparison what's better?

I'm trying to decide between the Mercedes Benz Airstream interstate lounge and Mercedes Benz Midwest Automotive weekender models.....anyone has any opinions?
Cuboirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuboirs View Post
I'm trying to decide between the Mercedes Benz Airstream interstate lounge and Mercedes Benz Midwest Automotive weekender models.....anyone has any opinions?
Buy the more expensive one.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Buy the more expensive one.
Um. In many cases I might agree, but not this one. I know nothing about Midwest Automotive, but I used to own an Airstream Interstate. They sell at a premium price, and have finishes and appliances to match. BUT, ours (and others that I've looked at) have had serious fit and finish issues. Nothing that couldn't be fixed, but lots of stuff that shouldn't happen at the Airstream price point.

We loved our Interstate, and by the time we sold it, it was in great shape. But it took a LOT of work on my part to get it there. I would not rule it out, but I would take a close look under the covers, and I would not automatically assume that a premium price means premium workmanship.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Airstream has much more motorhome experience and better interior design. I actually don't care for either one with the galley on the driver's side, four captain chairs overkill and their rather convoluted tight bathrooms. The Airstream Interstate Grand Tour is a much better design. But I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it. Touring and camping for two, forget it. Tailgating a half dozen times at your alma mater with friends it might be the better choice.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Um. In many cases I might agree
Went to the RV show this weekend and was not impressed with the new B Vans. RT and Hymer both showing new rigs.
New RT seemed cramped and new Hymer Aktiv was like RV's from the years when every economist or business advisor was suggesting that we outsource the things that are not our core business.
We came away happy with buying a very mildly used (20k miles) 9 year old rig.
Love our floor plan and cabinet layouts compared to the new ones - however we do not have lithium, solar, etc - but at 1/2th the price

I think we were fortunate though as there are not many good used B's to choose from.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Love our floor plan and cabinet layouts compared to the new ones - however we do not have lithium, solar, etc - but at 1/2th the price.

What did you end up buying? Could you describe the difference between the floor plan and cabinet layouts in your 9 year old coach and the current vintage you saw at the show?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

I went to the RV show.

I went to look at various Sprinters.
I went to look at various ProMasters.

Then I set in the RT 210P, and I said to myself: I like this.

I was surprised too.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
What did you end up buying? Could you describe the difference between the floor plan and cabinet layouts in your 9 year old coach and the current vintage you saw at the show?
Cheeky question as how much can you do with 15x8 space but...

We bought a 22 foot 2006 MB 5 cylinder turbo diesel with a 2007 Great West Van conversion.

2 things stood out to us (in the short time we spent inside the units). First was they seemed cramped due to, I think, the cabinets being intrusive at the higher levels. Second was build quality - this was more directed at the Hymer Aktiv.

Although we originally wanted a large fridge we ended up with a smaller one but the galley was on the passenger side and the Loo (head or wet-bath) on the drivers. Seems the right way to do it. For long trips we will probably have a cooler with ice for extra supplies.

The wet-bath has a pull out sink and the medicine cabinet door has a mirror on the inside so, you can, if wanted, stand in the aisle and wash, shave, configure your doo etc and you are not perched over the toilet to do so.

Cabinets in ours are a neutral wood colour and are solid wood. Classic look which I think will stand the test of time as opposed to black or white etc. Hardware is also top notch.

Personal preferences for the most part, other than the cheap plastic parts in the Hymer Aktiv, but pricing was, to us, a huge deal. Get a MB with a decent build in the coach and it was more than 2x the price or get the front wheel drive PM for cheaper and get a build quality of a bottom of the line bumper pull trailer.

Towing ability was also a factor for us and the PM doesn't have it.

In a nutshell...
Old 01-31-2017, 03:04 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Cheeky question as how much can you do with 15x8 space but...

We bought a 22 foot 2006 MB 5 cylinder turbo diesel with a 2007 Great West Van conversion.

2 things stood out to us (in the short time we spent inside the units). First was they seemed cramped due to, I think, the cabinets being intrusive at the higher levels. Second was build quality - this was more directed at the Hymer Aktiv.

Although we originally wanted a large fridge we ended up with a smaller one but the galley was on the passenger side and the Loo (head or wet-bath) on the drivers. Seems the right way to do it. For long trips we will probably have a cooler with ice for extra supplies.

The wet-bath has a pull out sink and the medicine cabinet door has a mirror on the inside so, you can, if wanted, stand in the aisle and wash, shave, configure your doo etc and you are not perched over the toilet to do so.

Cabinets in ours are a neutral wood colour and are solid wood. Classic look which I think will stand the test of time as opposed to black or white etc. Hardware is also top notch.

Personal preferences for the most part, other than the cheap plastic parts in the Hymer Aktiv, but pricing was, to us, a huge deal. Get a MB with a decent build in the coach and it was more than 2x the price or get the front wheel drive PM for cheaper and get a build quality of a bottom of the line bumper pull trailer.

Towing ability was also a factor for us and the PM doesn't have it.

In a nutshell...
Good choice. If you're committed to Sprinters, the MB5 generation was and is a reliability winner compared to the current plant.

If I was doing a lot of cooking, I guess a passenger side galley would be a plus. But other than feeding the microwave the kitchen for me is unused space.

An under counter refrigerator does open up space and light but while I don't use the stove, having a good sized fridge and freezer space is worth the tradeoff.

Agree that the new wave of artsy fartsy cabinetry colors doesn't cut. IMO, it's hard to beat the warmth of cherry.

No question that FWD does cut down towing capacity considerably. But IMO, towing anything behind a class B (other than some bikes on the hitch) eliminates the length and flexibility that is the raison d'etre of a class B.

Although I haven't confirmed this, I've been told that the turning radius of the Promaster is a lot less than the Sprinter or the Transit RV platforms.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:24 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
If I was doing a lot of cooking, I guess a passenger side galley would be a plus. But other than feeding the microwave the kitchen for me is unused space.
IMO, the advantage of a passenger-side galley has little to do with cooking. The reason it is so important to us is that it permits a panoramic view of your own campsite, rather than one of the Class A parked next door.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
IMO, the advantage of a passenger-side galley has little to do with cooking. The reason it is so important to us is that it permits a panoramic view of your own campsite, rather than one of the Class A parked next door.
In some campsites, the view of the adjacent Class A is easier on the eyes than the panoramic view.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
In some campsites, the view of the adjacent Class A is easier on the eyes than the panoramic view.

Yes, this can happen. But with a B, just move somewhere easier on the eyes.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:09 AM   #13
Bronze Member

I like briefs and you like boxers Find what fits best and go for it. Personally I need a pocket rocket pouch to feel good. Ya okay, too much info.
Roxy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 AM   #14
Silver Member

Hymer looks like fixtures from an IKEA store. El Cheapo
talktodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I have a Midwest one and have put about 16,000 miles on it since May of last year. The fit and finishes and systems all are great. Have 600 AH of lithium which seems about right.

A couple 4,000 plus mile road trips alone and with wife all good. Bed is fast and easy and comfortable.

Taking family for day trips to Yellowstone etc works great. 6-7 people not a problem.

Cooking inside on induction is fine as well but I almost if weather is decent food outside. I want to be outside always if the weather allows.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good choice. If you're committed to Sprinters, the MB5 generation was and is a reliability winner compared to the current plant.

No question that FWD does cut down towing capacity considerably. But IMO, towing anything behind a class B (other than some bikes on the hitch) eliminates the length and flexibility that is the raison d'etre of a class B.

Although I haven't confirmed this, I've been told that the turning radius of the Promaster is a lot less than the Sprinter or the Transit RV platforms.
To us towing is important for some of the trips we make. I have an enclosed Haulmark trailer that we can bring our side by side, 4 wheeler, motorbikes or even the snowmobile.

I am probably going to buy a Yamaha TW200 and a hitch rack for the rig - that way I have something to get my 2 wheel fix on and off road where ever I go and no trailer required.

Turning radius has been a non-issue so far and I have been into quite a few parking lots without a problem.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi Marley,

Curious about whether you have considered one of the e bikes, like a fat tire with lots of power. The advantage might be not rolling it on and off a 'hitch rack', just pick it up, put it there - on and off.

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi Marley,

Curious about whether you have considered one of the e bikes, like a fat tire with lots of power. The advantage might be not rolling it on and off a 'hitch rack', just pick it up, put it there - on and off.

Thanks.

Bud
Yes I have considered them. Mopeds! Very interesting but to be fair I would have to get 2 of them so both of us could go out for a ride. Saw a nice one the other day - a full high end with Fox shocks and all but $5,000 is bit much...

Certain advantages to them - like on the bike paths at the beach etc. We plan to do mainly hiking, checking out restaurants and lots of driving for a year or two to get a feel for the lifestyle and to see as much of the west as we can.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I prefer the kitchen on the driver's side. That leaves you with the full aperture of the sliding door without obstruction. I find having that width more useful for a variety of activities as well as loading and unloading.

I don't spend hours on end at the galley counter lovingly gazing out the window. I'm there to whip something up and get back outside where the action is.

I've yet to see a van with a layout I prefer over my K. Having glass down both sides of the van without obstruction makes it seem a lot more spacious.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I prefer the kitchen on the driver's side. That leaves you with the full aperture of the sliding door without obstruction. I find having that width more useful for a variety of activities as well as loading and unloading.

I don't spend hours on end at the galley counter lovingly gazing out the window. I'm there to whip something up and get back outside where the action is.

I've yet to see a van with a layout I prefer over my K. Having glass down both sides of the van without obstruction makes it seem a lot more spacious.
Well when you get sick of lovingly going in and out of your K's sliding door you can always park it and take the Class A or go for trip on the water in the trawler - always nice to have options..!