Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Elskevan

New van conversion just starting out. They've built a prototype and are testing before taking orders. Not much info yet, but the interior shots on their Instagram page are quite attractive:

https://www.elskevan.com/
dhuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The wood grain inserts in rear side window openings give it a weird "Woody" look.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

They have clearly built something. They should be showing it, and talking about they why and what if their business— if they want “customer and venture capital” interest. I’m afraid this may be someone who wishes they had a company more than a company starting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Techno,

You could very well be correct I haven't seen much since posting this. Too bad, because a lot of the work on the van was quite pretty. But I guess we'll see...
dhuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That looks like you average #vanlife instagram van build copied from someone else, who copied it from someone else, and so on and so on. The finishes look nice, but my guess is they plan on asking around 100k for it. Limited market for a van like that at prices like that.

Too many young people are spending far too much on vans like that. Youtube is riddled with people who overbuilt a van, try to sell it and end up upset that they can't get 95k for a used van with no bathroom with a hand pump sink with jerry cans.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

There's a few of these companies popping up and I'm sure the quality is good for most of them.

The young #vanlife crowd is definitely the target market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
That looks like you average #vanlife instagram van build copied from someone else, who copied it from someone else, and so on and so on.
If this design has been copied so many times, then the design in itself is good and definitely appeals to a market. I for one, would love to have that high bed with the bike drawer in the back.

Quote:
The finishes look nice, but my guess is they plan on asking around 100k for it. Limited market for a van like that at prices like that.

Too many young people are spending far too much on vans like that. Youtube is riddled with people who overbuilt a van, try to sell it and end up upset that they can't get 95k for a used van with no bathroom with a hand pump sink with jerry cans.
The thing I don't get is that the young #vanlife crowd does not have that money. If you look at Outside Van, Benchmark Vehicles and Vanlife Customs (just to name a few) they offer a similar product around the $100k price tag.

I don't see how they can purchase this other than not having a home/rent/mortgage. Still, how do you get a loan for this type of vehicle when you don't have a home? Of course most of them end up buying a used Class B or building it from scratch or any other of the less costly ways to get into #vanlife.

But how are all these small (awesome looking!) companies going to survive if their typical customer can't afford the product?!?

BTW, I have nothing against the #vanlife movement and dabble in it as much as I can. I just don't get the math behind it.
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
There's a few of these companies popping up and I'm sure the quality is good for most of them.

The young #vanlife crowd is definitely the target market.

If this design has been copied so many times, then the design in itself is good and definitely appeals to a market. I for one, would love to have that high bed with the bike drawer in the back.

The thing I don't get is that the young #vanlife crowd does not have that money. If you look at Outside Van, Benchmark Vehicles and Vanlife Customs (just to name a few) they offer a similar product around the $100k price tag.

I don't see how they can purchase this other than not having a home/rent/mortgage. Still, how do you get a loan for this type of vehicle when you don't have a home? Of course most of them end up buying a used Class B or building it from scratch or any other of the less costly ways to get into #vanlife.

But how are all these small (awesome looking!) companies going to survive if their typical customer can't afford the product?!?

BTW, I have nothing against the #vanlife movement and dabble in it as much as I can. I just don't get the math behind it.
I guess what I was getting at is that design has been done by so many people, you could hardly call it original and anyone can do it. Most people are building their own vans at much lower costs compared to something like this.

A lot of the people that can afford to buy these vans are young professionals (probably without kids) that make decent money and want a toy for the weekend. It's the same people buying the Revel from Winnebago. As for small startups looking to make money by building vans, I wish them luck, but as you said, they probably don't have a large enough customer base to support them long. Most people that want to do #vanlife build their own for a fraction of the cost. There is a member on the promaster forum that has less than 20k into his van and build combined and it looks great.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess what I was getting at is that design has been done by so many people, you could hardly call it original and anyone can do it. Most people are building their own vans at much lower costs compared to something like this.

A lot of the people that can afford to buy these vans are young professionals (probably without kids) that make decent money and want a toy for the weekend. It's the same people buying the Revel from Winnebago. As for small startups looking to make money by building vans, I wish them luck, but as you said, they probably don't have a large enough customer base to support them long. Most people that want to do #vanlife build their own for a fraction of the cost. There is a member on the promaster forum that has less than 20k into his van and build combined and it looks great.
Don't worry Nebulight. We're in agreement. I was just adding to your comments.
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
Don't worry Nebulight. We're in agreement. I was just adding to your comments.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Ram-Pr...n/122970041584

Here is what I'm talking about. $70K for a van that probably cost around $5-10k to convert. It even has the foot pump water pump #vanlife
Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #10
Gold Member

Quote:
Here is what I'm talking about. $70K for a van that probably cost around $5-10k to convert. It even has the foot pump water pump #vanlife
I like the fact that for 70k you don't even get a port-a-potty
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote