Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Erwin Hymer Group NA Dismissed by Daimler Vans from MasterUpfitter Program

I was checking the news on the Dainler Vans Upfitter portal today since they just posted the BEG for the new 2019 MY Sprinter. Noticed that Erwin Hymer Group North America was dropped from their MasterUpfitter Program. Winnebago, Airstream, Sportsmobile and AdvancedRV are all still in the program.

Text from the Upfitter news site:

"Erwin Hymer Group North America, Inc. has been dismissed from the MasterUpfitter Program
Erwin Hymer Group North America, Inc. was dismissed from the MasterUpfitter Program on 12/11/2017 at 7:36pm"

Interesting - I wonder if it was by choice or for cause?
Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Either way, it's not good for Hymer/Roadtrek.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Wow

Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I was checking the news on the Dainler Vans Upfitter portal today since they just posted the BEG for the new 2019 MY Sprinter. Noticed that Erwin Hymer Group North America was dropped from their MasterUpfitter Program. Winnebago, Airstream, Sportsmobile and AdvancedRV are all still in the program.

Text from the Upfitter news site:

"Erwin Hymer Group North America, Inc. has been dismissed from the MasterUpfitter Program
Erwin Hymer Group North America, Inc. was dismissed from the MasterUpfitter Program on 12/11/2017 at 7:36pm"

Interesting - I wonder if it was by choice or for cause?
What are the practical consequences for Roadtrek? Can Mercedes refuse to supply them with Sprinters? If not, does the typical customer know or care whether Roadtrek enjoys this status with Mercedes? Other than a marketing tool, what advantage does an upbuilder gain from this status?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
What are the practical consequences for Roadtrek? Can Mercedes refuse to supply them with Sprinters? If not, does the typical customer know or care whether Roadtrek enjoys this status with Mercedes? Other than a marketing tool, what advantage does an upbuilder gain from this status?
They can't (and wouldn't) stop the supply of Sprinters, although they could get lower priority. Mostly it means they can't get extra technical data like the 3D drawings that Daimler just made available for the 2019 Sprinters. I believe you have to be a Master UpFitter to get that data.

Anyone can get 2D drawings by entering your email from the UpFitter portal, but not the 3D data.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I noticed from the PDF, you attached on another thread, lack of Hight Roof on 144WB. Wow.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Here are details of the Daimler MasterUpFitter program from this web site.

The MasterUpfitter Program

Purpose of the MasterUpfitter Program

The Sprinter and the Metris deliver a solid base for every upfit – and a well-respected brand name. That means the title as a MasterUpfitter is a measurable competitive advantage. The shared desire for utmost customer satisfaction is supported 24/7 by providing each MasterUpfitter with a comprehensive toolbox that includes special access to technical information reserved only for MasterUpfitters, MasterUpfitter logo usage, dedicated engineering support, ship-to3 capabilities and the opportunity to showcase their solutions.
Key Advantages for MasterUpfitters

Dedicated MasterUpfitter Dashboard

MasterUpfitters have special access to the MasterUpfitter Dashboard via a login. From there, in a convenient platform, MasterUpfitters can update and manage their company profiles, upload pictures and brochures, download 3D data, connect to the VIP technical support team, access exclusive content on the Upfitter Portal and enjoy other exclusive benefits reserved only for MasterUpfitters.
VIP technical support

MasterUpfitters are entitled to a dedicated sales engineering team that can help you find answers to your technical questions, anything related to the options/packages of the base vehicle, the interpretation of existing guidelines and even the investigating of additional information required to build safely on Mercedes-Benz Vans and Daimler Vans vehicles.
MasterUpfitter Marketing Tools

The MasterUpfitter receives a certificate and a detailed handbook that are intended to assist in promoting and communicating the advantages of the MasterUpfitter status. The handbook includes the MasterUpfitter logo guidelines and basic vehicle product descriptions for use in all public and internal marketing efforts.
In Addition, an online upfitter profile also offers Mercedes-Benz Vans and Daimler Vans authorized dealers the ability to search for upfit solutions online, MasterUpfitter solutions. The profile can include any number of images, brochures, spec sheets, contact information and other relevant information and it is maintained and updated by the MasterUpfitters themselves.
Additional Benefits

Prominent features on the Upfitters section of the Mercedes-Benz Vans and Daimler Vans family of websites include Upfitter-specific videos, an image gallery and a searchable MasterUpfitter database open to the public. MasterUpfitters also have the opportunity to participate in corporate sponsored events and tradeshows upon request.
Customer benefits gained from doing business with MasterUpfitters

Master of the Trade3

All MasterUpfitters are experts of their specific trade or specialty. Becoming a MasterUpfitter, involved a commitment to all applicable regulatory and the most up-to-date upfitting standards. By recognizing these experts, or Masters of their trades, customers can reap the benefits of their combined expertise and have a wealth of solutions available for the Sprinter or Metris.
3-year / 36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty

MasterUpfitters agree to match the 3-year / 36k-mile limited warranty which extends to cover components and installations that meet the high-quality standards customers expect from a Sprinter or Metris.1
Special Vehicle Financing Options

In most cases, vans sold by an authorized Mercedes-Benz Vans or Daimler Vans dealer with a solution from a MasterUpfitter are eligible to be structured into the same finance or lease contract as the base vehicle through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services.2
Drop-Ship Logistics Program Savings3

Customers can take advantage of having a vehicle customized by a MasterUpfitter included in the typical logistics chain. Both options can save customers time and money. Only MasterUpfitters are eligible to participate in the drop-ship program.345
Old 06-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I just realized this probably doesn't mean anything for Roadtrek since Hymer is a significant partner with Mercedes. They will get all the data they need from their parent.

From press release earlier this year:

Camper-van producer Hymer, a longstanding partner of Mercedes-Benz Vans, will be the biggest customer for the new Sprinter – supply contract signed for several thousand vehicles

Intensive cooperation between Hymer and Mercedes-Benz Vans on development of new Sprinter opens up additional growth potential in camper-van segment

Mercedes-Benz Vans plans renewed growth in unit sales following record year 2017 – Hymer to be biggest customer for new Sprinter - Daimler Global Media Site
Old 06-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Ok... so RT is dismissed from the MasterUpfitter program.

Is there a "Regular" upfitter program?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I think this confirms that the Roadtrek brand will start to disappear.

I can't imagine not being in the program if you want to design your interiors to the new van in a CAD program and use C&C cutting for your components. Or be able to design all your attachment hardware. It's well worth the fees I'm sure.

Hymer hasn't introduced a Sprinter based RV yet into NA, only Promasters. I'll bet money that new product introductions for Hymer will be Sprinters. But will it be 2019 or 2020? They are trying to get their trailers launched, so that may take up all their time for 2019.

I can't imagine that a line of new floorplans on the new Sprinter gas chassis wouldn't be a big success though.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I can't imagine that a line of new floorplans on the new Sprinter gas chassis wouldn't be a big success though.
It's been confirmed that at least for 2019 the gas Sprinter will be a four banger, and a class B upfitter I queried about this indicated that Mercedes was recommending against their using this engine for a Sprinter class B. Perhaps because of the GVW involved?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #12
Platinum Member

For 2019 the gas engine (M274) Sprinter will be limited to the 1500 series Worker van (new) and 2500 series 144 and 170 non-extended wheelbase models. However the 2500 series GVWR rating has now been raised to 9100 lbs.

So no gas engines for the bigger 3500/4500, cab/cutaway, or extended length chassis.

However MBUSA Vans VP Robert Veit had mentioned earlier this spring that the gas engine was expected to be popular for RV owners and entry level fleet buyers. So he must have been referencing lighter Class B conversions.

Not sure if any of the current 170wb conversion could make it under 9100 lbs. Perhaps if they use lighter European style conversions.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:25 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I noticed from the PDF, you attached on another thread, lack of Hight Roof on 144WB. Wow.
It is on page 34 of the BEG. There is a high roof 144 Sprinter.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:23 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Not sure if any of the current 170wb conversion could make it under 9100 lbs. Perhaps if they use lighter European style conversions.
My 2014 3500 non-extended GWV legend weighed out at 9460 lbs with full fresh and fuel tanks, fully configured and stocked for use and two passengers. I think 9100 is a very realistic target with a little effort.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
My 2014 3500 non-extended GWV legend weighed out at 9460 lbs with full fresh and fuel tanks, fully configured and stocked for use and two passengers. I think 9100 is a very realistic target with a little effort.
The biggest bang for the bank in weight savings would likely by designing cabinets with strong and light weight frames. At the beginning phase of my conversion I compared fully walled plywood versus aluminum framed with thin filler panels and the difference with large. Close to half of my conversion weight is in cabinets. My dry weight was less than 7500 lbs. and fully loaded including us and Stowaway hitch container less than 8000 lbs.

Some folks are still using 5/8” to 3/4” either plywood or hardwood fully walled cabinets, that is heavy. I think that strong either wood or aluminum frames with just decorative or cargo holding walls would be the best bang for the buck.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #16
Platinum Member

The diesel engines are pretty heavy. On the Promaster models, the diesel drivetrain was 500 lbs heavier than the gas engine.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
The biggest bang for the bank in weight savings would likely by designing cabinets with strong and light weight frames. At the beginning phase of my conversion I compared fully walled plywood versus aluminum framed with thin filler panels and the difference with large. Close to half of my conversion weight is in cabinets. My dry weight was less than 7500 lbs. and fully loaded including us and Stowaway hitch container less than 8000 lbs.

Some folks are still using 5/8” to 3/4” either plywood or hardwood fully walled cabinets, that is heavy. I think that strong either wood or aluminum frames with just decorative or cargo holding walls would be the best bang for the buck.

Right on George! I wish one of the manufactures used the lightweight framing method as you did. It looks like it is only DIYers doing it now. Anyone know of a builder that would make lightweight framed cabinet on a B-van conversion?

I guess the problem is the framed cabinets are more labor intensive.

The grossest thing I've seen in RV Industry is installing granite countertops and ceramic tile floors in large RVs.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Right on George! I wish one of the manufactures used the lightweight framing method as you did. It looks like it is only DIYers doing it now. Anyone know of a builder that would make lightweight framed cabinet on a B-van conversion?

I guess the problem is the framed cabinets are more labor intensive.

The grossest thing I've seen in RV Industry is installing granite countertops and ceramic tile floors in large RVs.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
With 21st Century tools the cost of engineering would go up but assembly labor should go down if staplers are removed (even forcefully) from manufacturing floors in lieu of engineering tools and modern machine park. Cost of engineering would certainly go up but it should be distributed among many builds. Cabinets frames could be CNCed, from plywood, walls laminated on presses, and the total assembly glued together, no staples. But, there are folks today who would refuse to own a car without an iron block and heads.

I am in the midst of planning a trip to Bled Slovenia and Trieste Italy for a week or 2 and Adria in Novo Mesto will be an hour away. I will try to get a tour, not being a customer, I am not sure it will be possible. Perhaps I can compare it with the local Van Specialties being business for the last 45 years.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:09 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
With 21st Century tools the cost of engineering would go up but assembly labor should go down if staplers are removed (even forcefully) from manufacturing floors in lieu of engineering tools and modern machine park. Cost of engineering would certainly go up but it should be distributed among many builds. Cabinets frames could be CNCed, from plywood, walls laminated on presses, and the total assembly glued together, no staples. But, there are folks today who would refuse to own a car without an iron block and heads.

I am in the midst of planning a trip to Bled Slovenia and Trieste Italy for a week or 2 and Adria in Novo Mesto will be an hour away. I will try to get a tour, not being a customer, I am not sure it will be possible. Perhaps I can compare it with the local Van Specialties being business for the last 45 years.
The aerospace industry in USA is only one concerned about weight. The auto industry has made some motions toward weight reduction to meet MPG requirements. But that is stalled now. A lot of USA culture like those who "refuse to own a car without an iron block and heads" is driven by the low cost of fuel in this country. I don't have any hope of that changing in my lifetime.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:17 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
The aerospace industry in USA is only one concerned about weight. The auto industry has made some motions toward weight reduction to meet MPG requirements. But that is stalled now. A lot of USA culture like those who "refuse to own a car without an iron block and heads" is driven by the low cost of fuel in this country. I don't have any hope of that changing in my lifetime.
IIRC, I had an aluminum V6 in my 1963 Buick Special.