Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hymer Aktiv Fire

Just saw this video posted a few days ago about a fire on Hymer Aktiv with second alternator and Balmar regulator and lithium batteries. Info on fire starts at 3:52 . . .

https://youtu.be/pW0Ey8pjhuM

By Amber on Story Chasing YouTube Channel:
"While traveling solo in Homer Alaska in my Hymer Aktiv (Ram Promaster 2500 chassis or Dodge Promaster) my second alternator caught on fire while I was driving."
Old 09-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

She implied that the 'Balmer' had been relocated<?>.

It'll be interesting to see if she found out root cause. From the video, it looks like the wiring overheated, not the alternator.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:14 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Most Aktiv owners have moved their balmar from its terrible location down in the wheel well. They have moved them farther up where they are better protected from the road elements. With the help of Sam C, Gordon W of Edge Vanworks (who flew to Alaska to help her), and Adam from Nations Starter, the cause of Amber's fire was found to be a white wire which was added from balmar to UHG somewhere during the install at the Hymer factory. Everyone has been advised through the Aktiv FB group to remove this wire. It has almost started fire on some other Aktivs too.

In a normal state of affairs this would have started a recall from Hymer, but with them being gone, it is passing by word of mouth. There are meet-ups around the country every few months where owners share the issues and fix things like this. Sam C has pretty much re-designed the faulty Hymer wiring system and most owners have changed them out. His Suiet Hacks website has step by step videos.

I recommend that all Aktiv owners join that very helpful and proactive Aktiv owners group on FB.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

For what it's worth, here is a response from Nations Starter and Alternator that addresses this problem. The white wire in question is the stator wire.

Quote:
This is not a concern. It also does not effect the operation of the balmar if the stator wire is removed.

We've always (previously) had a stator wire. Since, all of the original balmar harnesses come with it.

When we redesigned the harness for the promaster applications about a year ago we left it out since it's

not needed for RV applications.

The video referenced is on a promaster where the regulator was relocated and the unplugging and plugging

back in caused loose connections and the wire came off and moved to ground which is next to the stator terminal.

They're definitely making a bigger deal over it than it actually is because this is the only instance of this I've ever heard of.

At any rate, if it makes the customer feel better it can be removed and cut off without any effect on operation.

On new builds and harnesses we are leaving the stator wire out.

Thanks,

Adam Nations
Nations Starter & Alternator

Old 10-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #5

She did ultimately find the problem. When the balmer was relocated, one live white wire was not secure when it was connected. It became free and arced, starting the fire. Turned out the wire was not necessary. I have the same van and the same balmer relocated, so I taped off my white wire to isolate.
michael budig is offline   Reply With Quote