Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Midwest Automotive Designs Corp. Sprinter RV

Midwest Automotive Designs Corp.
4251 Pine Creek Rd
Elkhart, IN 46516
Phone: (574) 522-4878
Fax: (574) 522-5828

Sprinter RV Camper Van - More info and photos here: http://www.midwestautomotivedesigns.com ... el&model=9

Looks like there is seating for up to seven people.

Here's a video:
[youtube:1osr4clp]3O6Ss2oGe8M[/youtube:1osr4clp]

Many features:

Interior Features
* Soft Touch Automotive Color Keyed Walls
* 100% Nylon Color Keyed Carpet Mats
* Composite Flooring system
* Soft Touch Automotive Headliner
* Dark Tinted Side and Rear Windows
* Complete Insulation Package
* Complete Privacy Shade Package
* Interior Lighting Package
* Overhead and Floor Courtesy Lighting
* 12Volt / 110V Refrigerator
* Toilet
* Front Privacy Drape
* Custom Multi-Flexing Lighting Controls
* Floor Mats
* Heated Dr and Pass Seats
* Custom Dash and Door Wood Treatments
* Solid Surface Counter Tops
* Seat Belt Package
* Rear Luggage Storage Lighted
* Removable Table / Dinette
* Folding Rear Sofa Beds / Dinette
* Driver and Passenger Deluxe Seating Recover
* Interior Sound Deadening Package
* Coordinated Valances w/Indirect Lighting
* Coordinated Door Panels
* Dual Battery Charging System W/Custom Battery Tray
* Inverter / Charger / Transfer Switch
* 110V Microwave
* Overhead Storage Cabinets
* Wardrobe
* Under Sofa Storage
* Full Cabinet Package
Wardrobe
Overhead Storage
Under Sofa Storage (may Vary)
Base Cabinet
* In-Dash GPS Navigation
Reverse and side cameras
* 110 V Outlet ( 2 )
* 12 volt Outlets ( 2 )
* Bath Vent
* Power Roof Vent w/Remote
* Electronics Package
2 TV Monitors
DVD Player
AM / FM - CD - IPod - Touch Screen - USB
* Cable TV Outlets
* Water Heater (110V LPG)
* Convection Microwave oven
* 16,000 BTU Furnace
* Refrigerator 12v / 110v
* 13,500 BTU Roof Top AC (shore-line)
* 2.5 KW LPG Generator
* Fire Extinguisher
* Smoke, LPG, CO detectors
* 110V Roof Top AC
* LPG System
* 2-Burner Cook Top
* Heated Tank System
* Sink w/Cover
* Shower
* Retractable Cloths Line

Exterior Features
* Fiberglass Running Board with Step (Color Keyed to Chassis)
* Complete Bonded Window Package w/4 Tip-Out Windows
* 30Amp 110v Shore Line Power Hookup
* Color Keyed Bumpers and Body Moldings
* Alcoa Alum Wheels
* Power Awning
* Exterior Body Security Camera system
* LED Patio Light
* Rear Hitch

Options
Digital Satellite Directional TV System
Satellite Radio (Rear)
Satellite Radio (Front)
Wireless Internet Router
Security System W/Control Pads
12v Heat And AC System
Roof Top Solar Charging System
Wood / Leather Steering Wheel
Crestron Remote system w/ 2 mini-Pads
Dash Color Change
Apple TV

Download their PDF flyer here: http://www.midwestautomotivedesigns.com ... kender.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midwest Automotive Weekender.jpg (47.4 KB, 3033 views)
File Type: jpg Midwest Automotive Weekender 1.jpg (35.2 KB, 3028 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Midwest Automotive Designs Corp. Sprinter RV

Nice design, but they are duking it out in a very crowded market, especially with Airstream's name recognition. The front lower bumper sets them apart, but they will have a very uphill battle.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Platinum Member

At least they named it appropriately. Looking at storage space, you couldn't live in it much longer.

I wonder if they offer cabinets to replace the second row seats, like others do?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Platinum Member

That floor plan doesn't seem to have any point to me. It can seat six, but so can a Suburban, and that is a lot cheaper. What they could have done that would be ground-breaking was pack a custom-designed extension tent that would attach to the awning and provide another large area that is outside, yet protected from the elements. This way, the vehicle can handle the needs of a family, but can sleep six comfortably when the tent is folded out.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

More info on RV Business http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/10/midwe ... nter-vans/ including MSRP.

Quote:
Custom outfitter Midwest Automotive Designs Corp., Elkhart, Ind., has introduced two 24 1/2-foot production models on the 2014 Mercedes Benz Sprinter van chassis — the Weekender and Daycruiser. The Weekender, built on the Sprinter 3500 chassis equipped with a 6-cylinder diesel engine, has a full shower with marine toilet and a kitchenette. The Daycruiser, built on the Sprinter 2500 chassis standard with a 4-cylinder engine, is absent the shower and can be equipped with a cassette toilet. Previously factory direct, Midwest Automotive is looking to establish a small group of five to 10 dealers. Features in both the Weekender and Daycruiser include custom-built furniture, hand-rubbed wood finishes, king-size beds and multiplex electronic-control systems. Base MSRP: Weekender, $135,000; Daycruiser, $125,000.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
Platinum Member

They seem to be wanting the soccer mom business with the Daycruiser, I'm guessing. I don't want to be negative, but if I had $140k in hand, there are many brands to choose from, be it Airstream, PW, RT, GWV, Advanced RV, LTV, Sportsmobile, and maybe even Mercedes itself. All of these brands come with LED lighting, heated seats/floors, and so on.

I wonder if the "B" market can take all this competition at the top. To me (and this is JMHO), I see too many Cadillacs and no Chevies. The good thing is that any brand one buys will have excellent fit/finish/warranty, so it is hard to go wrong.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Lake Region RVs in Minnesota is repping this company. They had a touring van at the Minneapoils RV Show this week. The finish quality was top notch.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The price was also top "notch?". I think it was like $146K for what looked to be primarily a people hauler. It had dark trim and cabinets and lots of small lights. My first thought was that it looked like a party limo design. Not sure what market they were going for.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:42 AM   #9
Platinum Member

The party limo crowd. They should have painted it purple for either going to a Prince concert or the Vikings game.

The Sprinter B market is out of control price wise. Many of the small Cs are less expensive in actual price with a lot more amenities.

I've said it before, I don't know who any of the B converters are marketing to. I guess they think there is a mythical buyer out there that I have never seen. I just think they believe in their own sizzle with crystal wine glasses, linen napkins and loose bowls of fruit lying around. . . and lots of throw pillows and comforters.

I don't think I am too far off on these assessments. The overall sales figures and the growth rate corroborate it.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Got this in an RV Trader feed email I get regularly. Looked interesting. Priced well below some previous estimates, and looks pretty well equipped in amenities, both physical, functional, and technical. Not sure about the seating for four, but it might be useful to some folks. Got some interesting electronics in it. Looks like a decent sized wet bath, too. I wouldn't mind an up close and personal with one. Just out of curiosity.
http://m.rvtrader.com/listing/2015-M...NTYxODc3ODYxS0
Old 06-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Why, oh why, are people still designing B-vans with the shower on the campsite-side of the vehicle? Does ANYBODY actually prefer this? If so, why?
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #12
Platinum Member

There is a small market for tailgating machines. It makes some sense to downsize to something like this if you are going to games in a big RV. You can still entertain a bunch of people under your canopy plus you have a private bathroom. I get it, not sure I'd spend that kind of money for it though, but I'm sure there are a few hundred people nation wide who would.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Why, oh why, are people still designing B-vans with the shower on the campsite-side of the vehicle? Does ANYBODY actually prefer this? If so, why?
It's probably a historically functional modesty/privacy issue when using the toilet in some smaller chassis layouts (Ford/Chevy/Dodge B series). Nothing like sitting on the crapper, with a partially open door (on many older models, not all commodes can be fully concealed, while in use), facing the campsite side, gazing fondly at your family and friends from across the galley counter. Those of you with the larger Sprinter based chassis, probably have the luxury of larger baths, and can probably close the bathroom door to block the view of the campsite (and vice versa) while doing the business.
Just speculation.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It's probably a historically functional modesty/privacy issue when using the toilet in some smaller chassis layouts (Ford/Chevy/Dodge B series). Nothing like sitting on the crapper, with a partially open door (on many older models, not all commodes can be fully concealed, while in use), facing the campsite side, gazing fondly at your family and friends from across the galley counter. Those of you with the larger Sprinter based chassis, probably have the luxury of larger baths, and can probably close the bathroom door to block the view of the campsite (and vice versa) while doing the business.
Just speculation.
Mike, Your explanation might be the best one yet for having the toilet on the passenger side. Unfortunately Roadtrek needlessly copied this on their Sprinters and subsequently half the other converters copied the number one seller Roadtrek including Midwest.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
Platinum Member

They're (Roadtrek) not number one for nothing, then? I guess you could say that a majority of class B van owners/buyers don't seem to care, based on Roadtrek sales, and those other copycat models with the bath on the passenger side. Quite honestly, it matters not to me either way. There are probably some other reasons, but none come to mind.
Maybe when they go to trade in the first van on something newer, it will become an issue. It seems that some of us have "evolved" towards the driver's side bath, after first owning the opposite.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Ours is, no issue at all for us. Some might prefer because the bathroom door isn't right across from the entrance?

Personally, I put it in the "which side the kitchen should be on" category of discussion. Some like it each way, some don't care, and as far as we are concerned none of the reasons are compelling except the "we like it where it is" reason.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
They're (Roadtrek) not number one for nothing, then? I guess you could say that a majority of class B van owners/buyers don't seem to care, based on Roadtrek sales, and those other copycat models with the bath on the passenger side. Quite honestly, it matters not to me either way. There are probably some other reasons, but none come to mind.
Maybe when they go to trade in the first van on something newer, it will become an issue. It seems that some of us have "evolved" towards the driver's side bath, after first owning the opposite.
Many fast food chains do their damnedest to match McDonalds hamburgers.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Avanti's bathroom door is not across from the entrance.

There are many technical design issues for putting the bathroom on the driver's side that make the design more efficient and practical. I'll speak here for Sprinter design.

There are certain things that require at least a 24" depth and a full height cabinet setup. They include refrigerators, wardrobes and bathrooms. You have so much width in a B. Let's say 68" at mid height point. So the tall stuff including walls will take 26" typically to give you an enclosed bathroom you can actually use without propping doors open. On the other side you can reduce galley, storage and such down to 16" and handle a sink and range top. That would leave you 26" for an aisle space from front to back. That space is wide enough for two people to pass by each other without having to take turns. If you have tall cabinets on both sides of the aisle you create pinch points down to 19" (that I have measured) and often a slalom track to walk through. Those Sprinter manufacturers that have put the toilet on the passenger side have had to narrow them down to bare minimum and add Rube Goldberg expanding door designs. They are usually the worst bathrooms in the Sprinter market.

With all tall cabinets behind the driver, the driver relies on the left mirror to see traffic. The driver's view is not blocked by the tall cabinets. If the windows on the passenger side are open to view the driver has not only the right mirror but also the windows in the middle windshield mirror to see approaching traffic on his right side. That is a safety advantage.

Tall cabinets on the driver's side equals fewer windows on the driver's side that typically faces the neighbor's campsite and often a picnic table and grill closer to you than their RV. So you have better privacy. On the opposite side someone inside the B has visual communication with their own campsite.

Tall cabinets on one side definitely makes a Sprinter feel more spacious. The Sprinter has a four foot sliding door. All designs block the door partially but a galley cabinet 36" high is less obstructing than a full height cabinet.

There is so much cabinetry real estate in a B. Roadtrek has been forced to put things like refrigerators and microwaves smack down on the floor and under counters in the most inefficient and uncomfortable way possible.

Utilities are typically on the driver's side in a campground. Having the toilet on that side is simply more plumbing efficient.

I just think Roadtrek made a bad decision early on in their design. LTV did the same and changed very quickly. Airstream with their Grand Tour after trying all kinds of plans including copying Roadtrek over the years has finally come around.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Roadtrek may have chosen the passenger side to actually improve the plumbing for the vans of that time. It allowed for their self storing slinky setup.

I have mentioned this before, but will again. Regardless of which side the bathroom in on, having a wall of cabinets on one side, and a totally open area above the counter on the other, can severely put the interior out balance for claustrophobic folks. DW is one of them. Our Roadtrek has much less open volume on the inside than most Sprinters but it doesn't bother her at all. Expanded space kind of alternates down the side from one side to the other because of the kitchen counter opening and window, so that may help. She was OK in the Roadtrek CS, which has a more balanced setup side to side.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I think that is why people are so impressed with the spaciousness of the 59K when they go in one. No bulking cabinets running down the walls. Definately the compromise is appliances below the kitchen counter. For many, this is not a big deal.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote