Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 03:20 AM   #1

Default P-W Plateau FL vs. TS

We are considering buying a used PW Plateau FL or TS. However, we are having a hard time deciding which one we like better. Can any PW Plateau owners out there tell me why you chose one over the other? I honestly think I would be happy with either one, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions, please!
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I went to a RV show and saw the TS, I liked it because the bathroom is bigger, I don't recall seeing the FL. However I can see the advantage of the FL, instead of living in the back of the vehicle or outside you can now use the front and the back or outside.

When one person gets up earlier than the other the front lounge would be nice. I bought an older, used RV and the TS is a little easier to find than the FL. I think I would have been happy with either one. You probably get more use out of a front lounge than a vanity, unless the smaller bathroom makes you claustrophobic.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:06 AM   #3

Lennie, Thanks for pointing out one advantage of the FL, you do kind of have 2 living areas inside. That would be helpful for us since my husband gets up way earlier than I do. I did notice that the TS has a larger fridge/freezer than the FL, which is definitely something we should consider. Thanks again!
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

We own a 2017 Plateau TS and love the larger bathroom with a generous cabinet, larger closet (that doesn't encroach on the driver's side ottoman) and the much larger fridge with separate freezer. All features we use multiple times a day we travel.

We made our own "FL" by simply swiveling the front seats towards each other and placing the table top on our laps for the times we don't want to put the bed away. We comfortably eat, play cards or enjoy a couple glasses of wine this way. The FL also gives you a second TV in front, as we rarely use the one we have in the bedroom a second TV would a total wast of space and money. The TS gives us so much more usable space and comfort with almost no trade off over the FL the choice, for us, was very easy to make.
Cpsseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #5

We have the 2020 FL and love it. We keep the bed and lounge at the front. Use both TVs - breakfast and watch morning news, at night Directv after dinner. Latest MB comes with all the safety features- love the Active blind spot assist (save our lives multiple times since you cannot see the small car changing lane at 75 mph, active cruise control meaning adjusting the speed automatically if there is a car in front of you. It was like driving a car. We run over the right lane a bit the car will push you back to the lane. The crosswind assist is a plus, enabling you to drive smoothly at high speed. Not to mention parking and turning since it has sensors front and back. For us, safety is no. 1 so it may be different for others. Yes, the bathroom is small so I won’t recommend if someone is over 6ft and above. We bought a lot food that don’t require refrigeration and everywhere we go we run into Walmart or large grocery chain. Either way I think you will be happy with the Plateau.
lftb2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
Bronze Member

My wife and spent two years researching class B's and it was either the TS or FL. We ultimately decided on the FL for the front living space. We could leave the bed setup and live up front. True the fridge is smaller, but packed correctly, it does just fine by us. The bathroom is smaller and does not have undersink storage, but how much time do you spend In the head? We've had our 2020 FL since August and we love it, we waited for the MB upgrades on the 2019 chassis and were glad we did. The 7 speed transmission gives us about 18-19 mpg on the highway. My only complaint is the lack of spare tire which will be rectified over the winter b4 next season when we'll do some longer trips. And of course the current awning recall is a bummer. The only upgrade i did was to add a 2nd Bose soundbar above the front TV to link our phones to. The MB sound system is somwhat lacking and does not include Sirus radio. I'm curious if you can find one since PW is not taking any orders for MB chassis until next fall.
Dja06422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

We had ours since early October, got the last one from the dealer. Just finished a 3k across country trip. Will you be adding a spare tire? We were told that it would be very heavy to jack up the rig on your own so you end up calling road side assistance to get it tolled so MB got rid of the spare tire. It took us a while to figuring out how to work with the dullie rear tires. The best way is to use the air compressor provided by PW. Forget about the air from gas station due to the direction of valves on the rear tires. The outer tires at rear have the metal valve pointing inward and the inner tires have plastic valves pointing outward. I am curious how others deal with this. MB does not have TPMS. Since FL and TS has 6 wheels total so it is not easy to find after market TPMS. Will welcome any idea.
lftb2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #8

We've have owned two TS's. Current one is a 2019, The second one we thought we were going with the FL, but finally decided that we liked the bath, fridge, better. Its just the two of us. One consideration for TS vs FL. If your much over 5' 11" you may find the driver seat won't recline very far with the seat as far aft as it will go. You'll need to slide seat forward to get any kind of recline position. Make sure your comfortable in the driver seat since these units are so much fun to travel in, your going to be making long trips. Have fun, enjoy the miles. Drive safe.
Last one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #9

We are looking at the Ts and FL as well. My concern is the folding couch to bed set up. How comfortable is it really? All those seams look like they would be uncomfortable.
dalav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:09 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lftb2019 View Post
We had ours since early October, got the last one from the dealer. Just finished a 3k across country trip. Will you be adding a spare tire? We were told that it would be very heavy to jack up the rig on your own so you end up calling road side assistance to get it tolled so MB got rid of the spare tire. It took us a while to figuring out how to work with the dullie rear tires. The best way is to use the air compressor provided by PW. Forget about the air from gas station due to the direction of valves on the rear tires. The outer tires at rear have the metal valve pointing inward and the inner tires have plastic valves pointing outward. I am curious how others deal with this. MB does not have TPMS. Since FL and TS has 6 wheels total so it is not easy to find after market TPMS. Will welcome any idea.
Get yourself a 4 ton three stage bottle jack. TPMS for 6 wheels is no problem Doran 360RV is one but there are others.

Extended valve stems are available to put the inner valve stem facing out. Search Borg extended valve stems for that.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalav8r View Post
We are looking at the Ts and FL as well. My concern is the folding couch to bed set up. How comfortable is it really? All those seams look like they would be uncomfortable.
I've had two sofa/beds and one articulating bed vans. If your hips and shoulders lie on top of the cushions and not over the seam you probably be OK with it. I'm 5'-8" and had no problem with a Pleasure-way, Great West Van and Advanced RV with three different types of beds. Is it equal to a full mattress without seams? No. Some have put mattress toppers on them. I never had the need.

There are other factors to consider if you are OK or not with them that may be more important to you (they are to me.) Functionality and liveability in the van is more important. I feel a separation of the van with two zones so if you have a partner you don't have to compromise in staying up or going to bed especially if you are out on the road for a long time.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalav8r View Post
Our Roadtrek has a similar rear bed set-up with a folding sofa. It's a necessity for us because we need the extra belted seats.

We don't find the seams objectionable, but I like something thicker than a sheet between me and the bed anyway. For our current short family trips, it's our puffy sleeping bags. For longer empty nest trips in the future it'll probably be a synthetic comforter underneath and a down comforter on top, both with washable covers. Others use memory foam.

Compared to other small RVs I've used, at least the bed is luxuriously large, and the longways orientation is a big plus for staggered sleeping patterns and nighttime bathroom visits.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:36 AM   #13

Default Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your input and opinions.

Jim
dalav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #14

Its actually pretty comfortable, but If you will be using for weeks at a time I would recommend getting a 2" queen latex topper and hanging it behind the rear seat (in a kids hammock) when not in use, levels everything out and makes it very comfortable for longer duration trips.
Stabuindaheart is offline   Reply With Quote