Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #1

Default Pleasure Way Tofino - two point seatbelts?

There’s a lot I love about the Pleasure Way Tofino. But I am not sure how to think about the rear bench seating with its two point seat belts. My understanding is that lap belts are highly unrecommended. Am I to assume this camper will only seat two? If so, are the lap belts good for anything? Hoping the RV community might have some additional insight that conventional wisdom lacks.
happy_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_camper View Post
There’s a lot I love about the Pleasure Way Tofino. But I am not sure how to think about the rear bench seating with its two point seat belts. My understanding is that lap belts are highly unrecommended. Am I to assume this camper will only seat two? If so, are the lap belts good for anything? Hoping the RV community might have some additional insight that conventional wisdom lacks.

Welcome to the forum happy_camper!

The Pleasureway pictures show why there are no rear shoulder belts. It is because the passenger bench seat is positioned well forward of the rear, where factory shoulder belt anchors are located.

I hope Pleasureway moves toward using compressor fridges (like on the Tofino) accross it's entire product line.

https://pleasureway.com/tofino/
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

There are plenty of B-van RVs with only lap belts on the rear passenger seats. That is all that is required by the safety regulations, just like school buses.

My 2013 Airstream Interstate has two bucket seats in second row with integrated three point shoulder belts. But the very rear bench/lounge seat has just three lap belts. This is still true on new models with one version that has five belted seats in back, three facing forward and two facing inward sideways. This is mostly true because Airstream extended Sprinters do not have the rear bench seat all the way to the rear so they can't use the factory shoulder belt anchors in rear corners.
https://www.airstream.com/touring-co...te/floorplans/

Winnebago does something similar, but their 70X models have the rear seat back far enough to use the three point shoulder belt in the outer bench seats. The center seat is still just a lap belt.
https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...#floorplan-70X

The Coachman Galleria 24FL also has three lap belted seats on rear seat.
Galleria 24FL | Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes
Old 02-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the insight and information.

In summary, shoulder seat belts were likely unfeasible given the location of the rear bench, lap seat belts are what they are, and many people rely on them in their camper vans.

I am hoping to take trips with my 7 yr old daughter. The front seat with its air bags is strictly forbidden for children, so I'm left with the conundrum of deciding whether I might have her use the lap belts common in the rear bench of many class B campers.

The Recon and Peace Van models seem unique for having shoulder+lap seat belts in the rear.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Our Great West Legend came with 3-point shoulder harnesses in the two outside rear positions. It is not that big a deal, except in the center of a 3-person bench seat.

If I were you, I would seriously consider having a pair of proper shoulder harnesses retrofitted. Not hard.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #6

I thought the primary reason for a shoulder harness is to keep passengers from hitting the dash or windshield. If a passenger can't hit anything in front of them then the lap belt should be adequate.
sctucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctucker View Post
I thought the primary reason for a shoulder harness is to keep passengers from hitting the dash or windshield. If a passenger can't hit anything in front of them then the lap belt should be adequate.
Lap belts alone are incredibly dangerous due to potential spinal cord injuries:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/your-cars-dangerous-seat/

Quote:
A Ford Motor Company video from the 1970s shows a crash test dummy in a lap belt actually being severed in half.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:

I am hoping to take trips with my 7 yr old daughter. The front seat with its air bags is strictly forbidden for children, so I'm left with the conundrum of deciding whether I might have her use the lap belts common in the rear bench of many class B campers.
Most vehicles seem to have a passenger seat airbag shutoff now, what model and year do you have?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Most vehicles seem to have a passenger seat airbag shutoff now, what model and year do you have?
Oh, that's an interesting point! The van I'm interested in is based on the Ram ProMaster 1500. And a quick internet search indicates that the passenger airbag will automatically disable itself based on passenger weight. CA law requires a minimum age of 8 to be in the front seat. So perhaps riding up front is an option soon enough!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Our Great West Legend came with 3-point shoulder harnesses in the two outside rear positions. It is not that big a deal, except in the center of a 3-person bench seat.

If I were you, I would seriously consider having a pair of proper shoulder harnesses retrofitted. Not hard.
I see. So retrofitting a bench with shoulder seat belts can be done. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
I see. So retrofitting a bench with shoulder seat belts can be done. Thanks!
Does anyone have further information on how to do this? It looks like rear passenger has a large window so not sure there's an attachment point for the shoulder strap. This vehicle does tick almost all boxes and just not comfortable with lap belts for my 8 and 6 yr old. Thanks everyone.
marko s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko s View Post
Does anyone have further information on how to do this? It looks like rear passenger has a large window so not sure there's an attachment point for the shoulder strap. This vehicle does tick almost all boxes and just not comfortable with lap belts for my 8 and 6 yr old. Thanks everyone.
In our Legend, the shoulder strap is bolted high on the rear roof pillar, between the rear windows and the back doors.