Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Promaster Chassis

After owning 2 Sprinter based B’s we now have a Winnebago Travato. We only have ~4K miles on it but I have to say it is one of the most comfortable and drivable Motorhomes we have ever had. Not as “gutsy” , nor does it feel as strongly built, but for comfort & drivability I’ve not seen a equal.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Toyman. You sound very pleased with the Travato (even after your travails with the previous "L" version).

I personally think it's long overdue for lithium batteries go mainstream in rvs. Yet, problems are many (as you experienced) and that's not what we need when traveling. Guess it just proves simpler is better.

Enjoy your travels and please post your adventures on the road.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #3

Default seat & Steeling wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
I have to say it is one of the most comfortable and drivable Motorhomes we have ever had.
I am new to this forum and looking at the Travato. The Promaster cannot tilt the steering wheel (only telescopic) makes it very uncomfortable to drive, esp. for my wife and she is 5ft1. Can you adjust the seat height? Or am I missing something? I don't want to write off all class Bs built with the Promaster chasis

Thanks!
lftb2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi: I have a 2016 PW Lexor TS. I believe the seats are a bit too high for your wife. The seats are very high. I read some drivers over 6ft 2inch had difficulty being comfortable in them. I am around 5ft 7 so it is ok for me.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lftb2019 View Post
I am new to this forum and looking at the Travato. The Promaster cannot tilt the steering wheel (only telescopic) makes it very uncomfortable to drive, esp. for my wife and she is 5ft1. Can you adjust the seat height? Or am I missing something? I don't want to write off all class Bs built with the Promaster chasis

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum lftb2019!

I say, you have to sit in one to know if it fits. So see if you can find one locally to check out.

The second part is much harder, but you also have to drive in one for hours to know if it's comfortable.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #6

We drove in one RV and the wife test drove a new one (2019 model) in a local dealership. There is no adjustment for height. She was bending forward to drive - very uncomfortable, plus not good for the back. It baffles me that there is no height adjustment.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Hi: My promaster works well for me. It drives very well. I prefer gas over diesel. Almost purchased diesel but my wife was against it. I will say. I do not tow with the promaster. If you want to do lots of towing and carrying cargo. A Ford transit with ecoboost or diesel would be more suitable.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:32 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I find the Promaster to be very comfortable and easy to drive. The seats in my 2018 are a perfect height for me... and I'm only 5'4." In fact, the height is hugely better than my old Ford, and a bit better than my 2 Chevies. I did try a few Promaster in prior year models that were way too high. So it may depend on the which swivel was added over the years.

I got used to the non-tilt steering wheel quite easily.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
So it may depend on the which swivel was added over the years.
So it depends on which swivel, i.e. model year, different RV manufacturers use for their rigs? In other words, I can sit in a Travato and feel uncomfortable but it's fine in a PW Lexor? Now we have to put the Promaster chasis back on our shopping list.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
Bronze Member

At first the Promaster feels odd and uncomfortable until you get it dialed in to your body. I'm 6'2" and I usually drive all other vehicles with the seat all the way back, in the Promaster, I actually adjust the seat a notch or to closer to the steering wheel. The sitting position is more like sitting in a kitchen chair, straight up with your feet under you as opposed to a reclining position like most cars and SUVs.
Once I got in dialed to my liking it was very comfortable to drive. I've done easily 600 miles in a day. Logged over 11K miles in it in less than 9 months.
Give it a chance, you'll figure it out.
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
So it depends on which swivel, i.e. model year, different RV manufacturers use for their rigs? In other words, I can sit in a Travato and feel uncomfortable but it's fine in a PW Lexor? Now we have to put the Promaster chasis back on our shopping list.
Always best to sit in a few rather than believe everything you read on the internets.

I found a difference even between different promaster units from the same company (EHGNA). Never could get a straight answer from a dealer or the company as to why I would sit in the same year (say 2017) Zion or Simplicity and my feet wouldn't even touch the floor... and an Aktiv, would be the perfect height for 5'4" me. Was it different after market swivels? Or did Promaster start coming out with OEM swivels that were on some platforms? (EHGNA used different platform models and option levels until 2018. I think that is probably the answer, but can't prove it now.

When I ordered my current Simplicity, I specifically added to the order that I wanted the same seat height as on the Aktiv. And that is what I got. But I think that became the standard for all their 2018 models.

Try 'em all and let us know.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #12

Travato Driver Seat.jpgThank you everyone! I'll pay attention at the RV dealership. I found a picture on the Winnebago website owner's manual section showing their driver's seat with two knobs adjusting the height (front and rear) - totally different from the one we test drove at local Promaster dealership.

Just a comment, Promaster is not willing to add tilt function is very strange to me. I would think it would be a minor adjustment. I read somewhere people are DIY to change it by installing a small part
Old 09-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #13

Very good point! I didn't realize you can specify the seat height! I am bringing my tape to the dealership...
Old 09-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Winnebago in the Travato uses the FCA swivel, fully adjustable seat option, always has. Can't say what others are using.
I've never owned a vehicle like our Travato that has seats that are as adjustable as these, electric or manual, and have found the steering wheel not tilting is a non-issue which I was initially worried about

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:17 AM   #15
Platinum Member

The different trim levels of Promaster have different seat adjustments. If that photo is the standard Travato, they are using quite a high trim level. EHGNA in 2018 switched to a mid-range trim level and the seat had minimal adjustments... nothing for height.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Just for clarification, there are no "trim levels" for the PM itself, just various options. "Trim level" would be an upfitter classification.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote