Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
GTD
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default Safari Condo Promaster Flex XL

Hi all, I am close to deciding on a Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex, and I am looking for a bit of feedback. I visited their operation in Levis Quebec this summer, and was impressed with their product.
I have read a few posts from some current owners here, and I am wondering if their experience has been positive to date, and if there are any upgrades or options they feel they should have added or should not have bothered with? Currently we have decided on the full solar (385 W), roof AC, and Dimmer option for the lights.
What we are not sure about is the upgraded Webasto furnace (from 7950 to 1300 BTU's). We live in a fairly cool climate (Northern Ontario), but still not sure if we require the heat boost, as it is a $3000 upgrade. We are also considering the Truma Instant Hot Water system, but I have read that they are sensitive to cool temperatures to a greater degree than the standard hot water set up. This would be a $1500 upgrade. The last items we are deciding on include the Fiamma bike rack, rear promaster shower curtain, pur sine inverter (1000 upgrade) and the computer table.
Any feedback is welcome, thanks in advance,
Gary
__________________

GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
AlexJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post
Hi all, I am close to deciding on a Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex, and I am looking for a bit of feedback. I visited their operation in Levis Quebec this summer, and was impressed with their product.
I have read a few posts from some current owners here, and I am wondering if their experience has been positive to date, and if there are any upgrades or options they feel they should have added or should not have bothered with? Currently we have decided on the full solar (385 W), roof AC, and Dimmer option for the lights.
What we are not sure about is the upgraded Webasto furnace (from 7950 to 1300 BTU's). We live in a fairly cool climate (Northern Ontario), but still not sure if we require the heat boost, as it is a $3000 upgrade. We are also considering the Truma Instant Hot Water system, but I have read that they are sensitive to cool temperatures to a greater degree than the standard hot water set up. This would be a $1500 upgrade. The last items we are deciding on include the Fiamma bike rack, rear promaster shower curtain, pur sine inverter (1000 upgrade) and the computer table.
Any feedback is welcome, thanks in advance,
Gary
Absolutely love ours. 32,000 miles in 21 months. No issues whatsoever. We live in a warm climate, but still got the larger furnace. It's done a great job when the outside temps have been in the high 20's. Not sure whether the smaller one would be adequate. Would definitely recommend the AquaGo, but also agree it may need TLC with freezing temps. The 2000w pure sine wave inverter works flawlessly for our travel Vitamix, InstantPot, and air fryer. Dimmer works well, but emits a subtle buzzing sound which is unavoidable apparently. It also gives you one master switch to turn off all the inside lights which is nice. Would recommend the full solar. We did not get the outside bike rack. We store all 4 bikes inside. Did not see a need for the outside shower curtain. What is the computer table you refer to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E2261.JPG (70.6 KB, 105 views)
__________________

AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
AlexJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 116
Default

The dimmer could be omitted since there is enough under-cabinet/floor lighting/ceiling lighting combinations that you can control the amount of ambient lighting fairly easy that way too.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
GTD
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default

Thank you Alex, that is great information, and will help inform my decisions. The computer table sits in the cab between the two seats. I am now leaning away from getting it. I have not noticed that sliding cargo tray before - is that an option ot aftermarket? I like your set up!

https://safaricondoacc.com/boutique/...-table-p78c35/
GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
AlexJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post
Thank you Alex, that is great information, and will help inform my decisions. The computer table sits in the cab between the two seats. I am now leaning away from getting it. I have not noticed that sliding cargo tray before - is that an option ot aftermarket? I like your set up!

https://safaricondoacc.com/boutique/...-table-p78c35/
I built it myself. 5 foot, 500 lb, full extension/locking. Works great. We do not have the little table for the cab that comes off the center console. I don't think it was an even an option 3 years ago when we ordered. I can see it being useful for eating when in motion. We may add it when we visit Canada next year on vacation.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
AlexJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
I built it myself. 5 foot, 500 lb, full extension/locking. Works great. We do not have the little table for the cab that comes off the center console. I don't think it was an even an option 3 years ago when we ordered. I can see it being useful for eating when in motion. We may add it when we visit Canada next year on vacation.
Safari Condo now offers a sliding cargo tray too. The tray makes loading and unloading cargo so much easier.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #7
GTD
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks Alex, I will ask them about the sliding tray, great idea! Really nice work you did there,
Gary
GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:58 AM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 214
Default

Forum member GeorgeB previously posted a series of modifications to their early production XL Flex Promaster:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...mods-4059.html

Most of those were of the aftermarket variety but some, such as additional 12volt outlets, were factory options/updates.

That's an awesome sliding cargo tray on AlexJ's unit. Four bikes inside and still usable sleeping/cooking/dining/bathroom space. That's an amazing feat in a 21ft Class B van.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:10 AM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 214
Default

Does Safari Condo offer the Webasto hydronic furnace / water heater option on the Promaster chassis XL Flex?

That's apparently how Durango RV Rentals had their two Sprinter XL Flex units configured, as it allows single fuel source (diesel or gasoline) for both air and water heating.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 AM   #10
GTD
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks for the link to the mods, I really liked some of those ideas. The trimetric monitor was a great add. I didn't notice the webasto water heater option for the Promaster, only the truma upgrade.
GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #11
Platinum Member
 
AlexJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 116
Default

Webasto furnace runs on main gas tank (uses very little fuel). Truma AquaGo instant hot water runs off propane (again uses very little).
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #12
Platinum Member
 
AlexJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Forum member GeorgeB previously posted a series of modifications to their early production XL Flex Promaster:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...mods-4059.html

Most of those were of the aftermarket variety but some, such as additional 12volt outlets, were factory options/updates.

That's an awesome sliding cargo tray on AlexJ's unit. Four bikes inside and still usable sleeping/cooking/dining/bathroom space. That's an amazing feat in a 21ft Class B van.
It is amazing. Comfortably seats 4, 2 refrigerators, very spacious bathroom, permanent comfortable queen size bed.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 2
Default

I picked up one about a month ago and I love it so far. I got the upgraded heater but havent been in a cold area so no input on that. Also got the instant water heater, I experienced error messages on it so Truma is sending a new circuit board. Also got max solar, biggest inverter and sliding cargo tray and lm happy with these options. No bike rack, plan to put bikes inside. I did not get a rear shower curtain but it might be nice to have because the outdoor shower is great.
nancyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #14
GTD
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default

Hi Nancy, thanks for the feedback! Was the sliding cargo tray standard, or an option? I didn't see it on the options sheet so wasn't sure. Is the biggest inverter the pur sine one? I haven't placed an order yet, but will likely do so in the next month. I would be happy to get more feedback on your experiences as you use the unit!
Gary
GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 2
Default

Hi Gary,, the tray was an option, about $1,000 I think. I like it because you can’t really stand up in the cargo area. Yes pure sine. Good luck! Nancy
nancyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #16
Bronze Member
 
Paul the Gardens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: QC
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post
Hi all, I am close to deciding on a Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex, and I am looking for a bit of feedback. I visited their operation in Levis Quebec this summer, and was impressed with their product.
I have read a few posts from some current owners here, and I am wondering if their experience has been positive to date, and if there are any upgrades or options they feel they should have added or should not have bothered with? Currently we have decided on the full solar (385 W), roof AC, and Dimmer option for the lights.
What we are not sure about is the upgraded Webasto furnace (from 7950 to 1300 BTU's). We live in a fairly cool climate (Northern Ontario), but still not sure if we require the heat boost, as it is a $3000 upgrade. We are also considering the Truma Instant Hot Water system, but I have read that they are sensitive to cool temperatures to a greater degree than the standard hot water set up. This would be a $1500 upgrade. The last items we are deciding on include the Fiamma bike rack, rear promaster shower curtain, pur sine inverter (1000 upgrade) and the computer table.
Any feedback is welcome, thanks in advance,
Gary

Hi Gary

I just got my new 2018 Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex, I did order the larger furnace but the price of $3000. you mentioned is probably a misunderstanding. The RV comes standard with the 7950 BTU Furnace and as an option you can purchase the 13,000 BTU So they credit you the full amount for the 7950 BTU that is about $2,000. credit and then charge you the full amount for the 1350 BTU that is about $800, more expensise. So it is a $800, difference between the between them. Likewise for the Aquago Instant hot water you get the credit for the standard one (less $975) and charged for the more expensise Aquago (Plus $1,600). Yes these Aquago are more sensible to frost but the main advantage is that your RV carries only 100 liters of water and when you are not connected to city water you need to save water. The Aquago gets hot instantly thus you do not waste water while adjusting the temperature. I got 285 Watts on roof. Since I plan to use the RV most of the time with no shore power I did not order the roof AC thinking that perhaps later I could add a newer type of ac that would use less energy and make less noise. Therefore I ordered the Max fan and again they credited the Fantastic fan for the full amount and charged the full amount for the Maxfan. The dimmer was $125. so I got it without knowing why, and finally I ordered the Fiamma bike rack (expensive) thinking I could store my bikes inside in the garage under bed during travels in bad weather, and use the rack for nice weather or during the night or biking with four people (2 inside 2 on the rack) . I ride about 5000 KM per year on my road bikes.
Finally I could say that I have made research for over a year and never found a bad comment about any Safari Condo users, they delivered my RV at the promised date, they are honest reliable family run company. Take advantage while you can and order your Safari Condo without hesitation, the Promaster is made in Mexico the conversion is made in Quebec maybe futur free trade Nafta negotiations will get prices up ?
Best of luck and PM me directly if you have any questions.

Paul
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:32 AM   #17
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: QC
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post
Thanks for the link to the mods, I really liked some of those ideas. The trimetric monitor was a great add. I didn't notice the webasto water heater option for the Promaster, only the truma upgrade.
If you are looking for Safari condo you should look at panoramicrv.com better quality better design and you can choose your option, also made in Canada
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:50 AM   #18
GTD
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks Nancy!
GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:02 AM   #19
GTD
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default

Wow, thanks so much Paul, that certainly cleared a lot up for me! I am not 100% on the AC at this point, we have never had one in the past and got by fine. I guess I was thinking about potential travel to the southern states in the future. My research has been similar to yours, and I did get a good vibe from the people in Levis when I visited this summer. I may be PM'ng you in the future with some more questions, enjoy your Safari!
GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:04 AM   #20
GTD
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks Jgmarcotte, I have not heard of that company before, but will look into it,
Gary
__________________

GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×