Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 03:30 AM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
We absolutely love our Promaster XL Flex that we took delivery of last October. Over 7000 miles so far, boondocking essentially every night. No issues whatsoever. Beautiful quality finish out. Really like the Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus tankless/instant hot water heater (hot water in seconds), the toasty Webasto furnace, the spacious wet bath, the two refrigerators, 2000 watt inverter (runs microwave, Vitamix, toaster and hair dryer), side and rear screens, awning windows with built in blackout and mosquito screens, 4 solar panels, and especially the below the bed garage with room for 4 bikes inside. Top notch company.
And all of that for a reasonable price compared to other manufacturers. The lead time was too long for us and the US purchase is more complicated than other dealer based vans. More like a custom shop where US buyers need to provide the van. However depending on your point of view that could be a plus. For us the issue was the long lead time.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #62
Platinum Member

What did you end up getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
And all of that for a reasonable price compared to other manufacturers. The lead time was too long for us and the US purchase is more complicated than other dealer based vans. More like a custom shop where US buyers need to provide the van. However depending on your point of view that could be a plus. For us the issue was the long lead time.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
What did you end up getting?
This is our first RV, so we seriously looked at several options including:
- Safari condo
- Van specialties
- Morehead Designs
- Townsend Travel Trailers - They do custom sprinters
- Sportsmobile
- PleasureWay
- Winnebago
- Roadtrek
- Hymer

We got quotes and timelines from all the custom outfits and Safari Condo, but the timelines were too long for our requirements (12-14 Months), and the custom shops the warranty work typically required bringing it back to them and only lasted a year. We haven't ordered yet (ordering the end of January) but decided on a RoadTrek SS Agile with:

- AGM batteries
- No volt start
- Alde diesel heat
- Induction cook top
- Underhood generator (e.g. large 3nd alternator)

We have some remaining details to work out before placing the order but we are super excited to hopefully have our van around April/May. Good luck with your search.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Very exciting. It sounds like your decision has been well thought out. We researched vans for about 18 months before finally making it to Quebec to see the XL Flex. The indoor bicycle storage was what initially attracted us, but it also satisfied everything else we wanted in our van. Happy travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
This is our first RV, so we seriously looked at several options including:
- Safari condo
- Van specialties
- Morehead Designs
- Townsend Travel Trailers - They do custom sprinters
- Sportsmobile
- PleasureWay
- Winnebago
- Roadtrek
- Hymer

We got quotes and timelines from all the custom outfits and Safari Condo, but the timelines were too long for our requirements (12-14 Months), and the custom shops the warranty work typically required bringing it back to them and only lasted a year. We haven't ordered yet (ordering the end of January) but decided on a RoadTrek SS Agile with:

- AGM batteries
- No volt start
- Alde diesel heat
- Induction cook top
- Underhood generator (e.g. large 3nd alternator)

We have some remaining details to work out before placing the order but we are super excited to hopefully have our van around April/May. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #65

Default Ordered a Safari Condo Flex

I guess I'll keep this thread alive... I recently ordered a Safari Condo Flex for the PM. Thanks everyone for the detailed reviews and pics and that was crucial in deciding to go with them.

Delivery not until mid August, so about 15 month delay including 3 months for the conversion; living in the USA we must deliver the PM to them before mid May.
sharter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharter View Post
I guess I'll keep this thread alive... I recently ordered a Safari Condo Flex for the PM. Thanks everyone for the detailed reviews and pics and that was crucial in deciding to go with them.

Delivery not until mid August, so about 15 month delay including 3 months for the conversion; living in the USA we must deliver the PM to them before mid May.
Congrats! Make sure to post when you get it.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #67

Default Update pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprevill View Post
Hello GeorgeB, do you have an update on that ? Just got a new Sprinter XL Flex from Safari Condo, incredible machine. They modified it so I can drive and sleep with wife and my 3 kids. There is a bench under the motorized bed (like the one in the XL Plus) to sit/sleep 2 more people. The only thing that is missing to be perfect is an underhood generator !
Family of 4 in the market love safari condo... pls advise. Thx
girl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #68

Default Safari Condo Promaster MX options

Hello All, If there's a better place for me to post these questions, let me know. We're in the process of ordering a Safari Condo Promaster MX to replace our beloved but aging 1997 VW Eurovan.

We'll have the double (7cf) refrigerator and do mostly dry camping. Two solar panels (190 watts) or three (285 watts)? We'll have propane for the stove and instant hot water heater.

Those of you who already have one, are there options you wish you had considered? Is the standard 7950 BTU heater adequate? How do you like heating with gasoline?

Thanks for any thoughts. Exceited about the MX, as it seems the perfect update for the Eurovan.
ToniK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #69

Hello Tonik

I got a Sprinter XL Flex with two refrigirators, when we dry camp the two fridges and the fantastic fan take 20 to 30% of the two 190 amp 6V battery depending the outside temperature and the tempreature of the fridge (4/8 is good, 5/8 is better keeping food frozen in the freezer) each night

With 390 watts of solar at full sun I'm able to get back 100% of my battery normally near noon. In a half shady spot it goes to 2 oclock to get batteries full charge. So if you plan to use the two fridge I think 3 solar pannel is the way to go. I also got the diesel heater, it is working perfectly, it do the job flawlesly.

We took the pure sine inverter 2000 watts, It works well and help us to do terrific latte in the morning !

Safari makes great van, we totally love ours.
pprevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:40 AM   #70

Thanks! The 2000W inverter isn't an option on the MX. Just 1500W. Other than your fridges and the fan, do you use a lot of electricity? In the Eurovan, our only current uses are the Norcold fridge (running on propane), the sink pump, the LPG alarm, and, of course, charging phone and camera batteries.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #71
Platinum Member

Just a thought... this idea may not be for you, but a few folks on other forums had "Eureka!" moments when they realized that they could use one of the newer high-tech coolers (Yeti, Cabelas, etc.) as their "second fridge" for dry camping.

Depending on your intended camping durations, they can work. There's no problem with keeping ice in one of those for a week at a time, and I'm working on a procedure whereby I actually freeze vacuum-packed one-pot meals into solid blocks of ice, instead of using cube ice, which has a poor surface area to volume ratio, and thus melts more quickly. I built an ice block mold that fits our Yeti, a mold that I can pre-freeze in my minus-10 upright freezer at home before transferring two identically-shaped 30-pound ice blocks encapsulating the food packages to the cooler. I predict that I'll end up with a duration of preservation that far exceeds one week via this approach. Plus I can take just one block out at a time to free and use its contents.

Other folks use dry ice instead of water ice to extend the working range of their coolers. Point being, there are options that are a lot cheaper than spec-ing a rig around the inclusion of a second fridge, especially when the extra energy needs are factored into the equation.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #72
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
... I built an ice block mold that fits our Yeti, a mold that I can pre-freeze in my minus-10 upright freezer at home before transferring two identically-shaped 30-pound ice blocks encapsulating the food packages to the cooler. ....

That's a smart idea !
Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #73

That's pretty much what we've done in the Eurovan, albeit not with a Yeti. Trying to get away from needing to "explode" out of the vehicle to sleep. Still a good cautionary thought. The price of a Yeti compared to a second fridge is really different than compared to a Coleman!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniK View Post
Hello All, If there's a better place for me to post these questions, let me know. We're in the process of ordering a Safari Condo Promaster MX to replace our beloved but aging 1997 VW Eurovan.

We'll have the double (7cf) refrigerator and do mostly dry camping. Two solar panels (190 watts) or three (285 watts)? We'll have propane for the stove and instant hot water heater.

Those of you who already have one, are there options you wish you had considered? Is the standard 7950 BTU heater adequate? How do you like heating with gasoline?

Thanks for any thoughts. Exceited about the MX, as it seems the perfect update for the Eurovan.
I think you'll love your Safari Condo. We have the 3 foot longer XL Flex so opted for the larger gasoline furnace. It works awesome and consumes little gas. It uses less than 0.3L/hour if running continuously. I'm sure the smaller one will be more than adequate for the MX. It is nice not having to worry about propane. We are still 2/3 full after 10 months. I definitely recommend the Truma AguaGo instant hot water heater. We have only plugged in a total of 15 days over the last 10 months (22,000 miles). We left all the Safari Condo logos off so no one suspects anything when they see our dark gray van in a parking spot.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #75

Thanks, Alex! After some thought,we decided to forego the instant water heater, and will have no propane. Glad to know the heater works well. A gasoline heater is a new concept for us.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #76

Default Deposit wired! Pickup date set! A few questions

We made our decisions, signed a contract, wired a deposit, and now have a pickup date of November 5, 2018. All very exciting.

Mary and I live in Prescott, Arizona. A not-too-far-away Ram Promaster dealer says we can purchase our cargo van from them and they'll arrange a "courtesy" delivery from a dealer in a U.S. city closer to Quebec. Say Portland Maine. Dealer also says we can have Arizona title, registration, plates in hand when we fly to Portland. Sounds great.

(1) Have any of you done something similar? How did it work out?

(2) How did it work crossing the border with an unfinished cargo van and returning with a decked out van conversion? Wondering if we'll encounter problems, import duties, unexpected taxes, etc.

Thanks for any insight those of you have been through this can provide.

Toni
Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 AM   #77
Platinum Member

Quote:
We made our decisions, signed a contract, wired a deposit, and now have a pickup date of November 5, 2018. All very exciting.

Mary and I live in Prescott, Arizona. A not-too-far-away Ram Promaster dealer says we can purchase our cargo van from them and they'll arrange a "courtesy" delivery from a dealer in a U.S. city closer to Quebec. Say Portland Maine. Dealer also says we can have Arizona title, registration, plates in hand when we fly to Portland. Sounds great.

(1) Have any of you done something similar? How did it work out?

(2) How did it work crossing the border with an unfinished cargo van and returning with a decked out van conversion? Wondering if we'll encounter problems, import duties, unexpected taxes, etc.

Thanks for any insight those of you have been through this can provide.

Toni
We had our empty van delivered to the Burlington, VT Ram dealer. They were extremely nice and helpful. No problems crossing the border in either direction. They asked what the reason for our visit was. I told them to get our van converted to an RV. They peaked inside and asked if we were happy with the work. Pre-Trump granted. We waited 13 months and it was well worth it. We could not be happier with the build. We've had no issues whatsoever after 23,000 miles. Remember it may take up to 5 months to get your van from Dodge. Safari Condo is very specific about the options you will need on your van. We paid Safari Condo off 8 months before delivery when we thought the exchange rate was most favorable (wired the money). Are you getting the XL Flex?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #78

Thanks, Alex! Sounds like you did exactly what we plan to do. How did it go with title, registration and plates? Wondering which of these you already had in hand as you crossed the border into Canada. We're getting the Promaster MX. As our 1997 VW Eurovan is still perfectly functional, the 14-month wait is not an issue. Just glad we'll be driving it home before winter! Toni
Old 09-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #79
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, Alex! Sounds like you did exactly what we plan to do. How did it go with title, registration and plates? Wondering which of these you already had in hand as you crossed the border into Canada. We're getting the Promaster MX. As our 1997 VW Eurovan is still perfectly functional, the 14-month wait is not an issue. Just glad we'll be driving it home before winter! Toni
We had title, registration, and permanent plates. And a VT inspection sticker. You can cross with temporary plates. Temps often approach freezing early Nov in Quebec. Congrats on your purchase .
Old 09-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #80

AlexJ,

My wife and I are traveling from NH to visit the Safari showroom next week. Were there any issues with titling and insurance after the van was converted, considering the RV has the same VIN as the original cargo van? Is anyone in the US financing the van and conversion? My local credit union can only finance the van at pre RV value.
RLM36 is offline   Reply With Quote