Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #101
Bud
Platinum Member

". I'm not happy with the ecological aspect of disposing of them, but they last a really long time, so I'm OK with it."

You can refill them.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:08 AM   #102
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

What Bud said. It's easy....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #103

Thanks! We will order our Promasater this week, deliver to SC late summer, then pickup our condo November 5. The MX is the only van conversion we've seen that makes a good replacement for our 1997 VW Eurovan. Quick question related to the van purchase. We're basically following the SC "recipe." Rear defroster is an $199 add-on option. Did you get it? If not, do you miss it?
ToniK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #104
Platinum Member

Funny you mention that. I talked to Dominique and she recommended against it, saying that her Dad ordered it and never used it. I thought maybe the weather was different in Canada and I've always had it (and used it often) on my mini-vans, so I did order it on the Promaster. Now, almost 2 years (and 16,000 miles) later, I have to say we have never once used it. On the other hand $199 is not much as a percentage of the total cost, so maybe it'll be useful one day!

Another reason to save the $199 is that the view out the back, while useful, is not great. First, you've got the closet on the driver side. Then, the ProMaster windows leave a big gap right in the middle which is annoying. Fortunately, the side mirrors are great, so if the back windows ever fog up, you've got the mirrors to rely on. Also, for backing up, I strongly recommend the radio upgrade with the rear view camera.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #105

Thanks for the quick answer. Out with the defroster! As for the back-up camera, it's standard for 2018.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #106
Platinum Member

Were you able to get any safety features like blind spot avoidance, etc.? I would have gladly paid for any and all of the modern automobile safety features like lane departure warning, adaptive speed control, etc, but none were available in 2016. Since my car is only a 2004, I covet the features of all my friends with newer cars.

By the way, your mention of the Eurovan reminds me of one of the best features of our MX, which I didn't totally expect. That is that it's a great second vehicle. We had a Roadtrek 190 which in theory shouldn't have been that different from the ProMaster, but while it was OK for camping, I hated driving it around town (and when I did, I got into two accidents). The Promaster is really light on its feet, the visibility is great and it parks easily. That has really eased up the scheduling issues in our family since we only have one car.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #107
Bronze Member

I will second what michaelingp wrote,, in three years I have never used the rear window defroster on my Promaster, but I live in Alabama....
I also find that the 18 foot Promaster drives like a nimble SUV, I use it as an every day car.
35603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #108
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniK View Post
Thanks for the quick answer. Out with the defroster! As for the back-up camera, it's standard for 2018.
Good decision. I never use the rear window when driving or backing up. The side mirrors and back-up cameras are so much better.

When I bought my Libero... that had zero visibility out the rear of the rig, I went to my neighbor, a retired big rig driver, and asked him to come over and teach me how to use the side mirrors properly. Well worth the half hour we spent backing around the area. LOL

The reality is that I rarely even open the curtains in the back of my Roadtrek.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #109
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Good decision. I never use the rear window when driving or backing up. The side mirrors and back-up cameras are so much better.

When I bought my Libero... that had zero visibility out the rear of the rig, I went to my neighbor, a retired big rig driver, and asked him to come over and teach me how to use the side mirrors properly. Well worth the half hour we spent backing around the area. LOL

The reality is that I rarely even open the curtains in the back of my Roadtrek.

LOL, yep me too. Our windows are always covered up in our ERA.

I went to truck driving school back in late 1989. The instructors, to a man said they felt that the center windshield mounted rear view mirror was one of the worst "safety" features ever installed on vehicles.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #110

The backup camera is a new standard safety feature. I believe parking assist is an add-on option Would also love the bells and whistles of newer cars, and they are not yet available on the Promaster.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:29 AM   #111

Default SC Ram Promaster order hiccup

Wednesday Mary and I drove down to Wickenburg to order our 2018 Ram Promaster. The SC "recipe" was working well until we got to the fixed glass in the sliding door. Salesguy Sean- "Not an available option." Me- "It was on the Ram website yesterday." Hours later we're camped off Vulture Mine Road and get at text from Sean. Ram is switching glass vendors. Fixed glass is on hold until they do. Hoping Safari Condo can add the sliding door glass at their factory. Waiting on that answer. Being enlightened Canadians, they're all off until January 8.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #112
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniK View Post
Wednesday Mary and I drove down to Wickenburg to order our 2018 Ram Promaster. The SC "recipe" was working well until we got to the fixed glass in the sliding door. Salesguy Sean- "Not an available option." Me- "It was on the Ram website yesterday." Hours later we're camped off Vulture Mine Road and get at text from Sean. Ram is switching glass vendors. Fixed glass is on hold until they do. Hoping Safari Condo can add the sliding door glass at their factory. Waiting on that answer. Being enlightened Canadians, they're all off until January 8.
Maybe they can add a double pane acrylic window instead. They do a much better job at insulation and you can open them up for some cross breeze with the on on the other side.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #113

Intriguing idea. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #114
Platinum Member

Default Where is isolator

I could ask Safari Condo, but does anybody know where the isolator (van battery vs house batteries) is located in the ProMaster, and what type?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #115
Platinum Member

The isolator would be a SC add-on. The PM itself doesn't come with one.

I have a self-build on the 136" PM. Similarities to the SC, except mine is even more open. It is indeed a joy.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #116
Platinum Member

Default Insurance for a U.S. Safari Condo

Our insurance company (GEICO) has cancelled our insurance policy for the Safari Condo. In their words “it’s a conversion van and they don’t insure them”. So, i’d like to hear who the other U.S. Safari Condo owners are using for insurance and how has the cost and experience been.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #117
Platinum Member

There are several options. My DIY van is insured with a fixed value policy (might be called something different). You tell them what it is, how it's used and the amount you want it insured for and they write up the policy.

And it's MUCH better to do it this way than you were doing it. If the van was insured as just a van, they would not have covered the conversion contents (stolen or wrecked, they'd probably cut you a check for the value of a promaster of whatever year you have).
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #118
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Our insurance company (GEICO) has cancelled our insurance policy for the Safari Condo. In their words “it’s a conversion van and they don’t insure them”. So, i’d like to hear who the other U.S. Safari Condo owners are using for insurance and how has the cost and experience been.
Maybe it's just wording. Stay away from conversion van (which implies DIY) and go with RV. Because really, Safari Condos are RVs. Especially since it's "certified" by the Canadian RV Association (link).
Old 04-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #119
Bronze Member

I insured my Safari Condo Promaster MC with Foremost insurance.
35603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #120
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post

Inform them that it is an RV. They insure RVs.
https://www.geico.com/information/aboutinsurance/rv/

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream