Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 11:39 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I actually PM'd the OP regarding some diesel questions about the 4 cylinder.

Since you also have a Safari Condo, do you have a generator or second alternator? I like the idea of having an engine "generator" instead of a stand alone unit should I want to run my AC while boondocking. I was drawn to Roadtrek because they have their "underhood" generator which is basically just a second alternator.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Didn't get your PM.

Keep in mind it's a long shot because there's now a 12 month wait time and you have to buy a US van, leave it for a few weeks and drive the van back in the States. But it's the best B in NA! Agree!

They were saying that eventually if the demand is still strong next year they might consider buying US vans, but they need to ramp up production first.
I've been talking to Safari Condo about ordering a Promaster XL Flex. I live in the USA. Last week they offered me an August 2016 start with delivery in October 2016 but we are looking for a spring 2017 build date which fits better into our plans. Maybe they had an opening in their schedule?
CyclingCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
I actually PM'd the OP regarding some diesel questions about the 4 cylinder.

Since you also have a Safari Condo, do you have a generator or second alternator? I like the idea of having an engine "generator" instead of a stand alone unit should I want to run my AC while boondocking. I was drawn to Roadtrek because they have their "underhood" generator which is basically just a second alternator.
No I don't have any generator, but would love to have an underhood one. I will ask them the next time I will be at their plant. I plan to go there in June to do some minor mods.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
No I don't have any generator, but would love to have an underhood one. I will ask them the next time I will be at their plant. I plan to go there in June to do some minor mods.
So do you just use solar or shore power to charge your batteries?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingCamper View Post
I've been talking to Safari Condo about ordering a Promaster XL Flex. I live in the USA. Last week they offered me an August 2016 start with delivery in October 2016 but we are looking for a spring 2017 build date which fits better into our plans. Maybe they had an opening in their schedule?
Yes, the new CEO, Dominique, told me that they are trying to add new openings in their production schedule. Have fun dreaming about your future van in the meantime! Referring to nebulight's question, I'm curious to see if they will eventually introduce Lithium based battery banks and underhood generators? They tend to be very conservative and wait till the technology is fail proof before offering it to their customers.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
So do you just use solar or shore power to charge your batteries?
Yes, we are boondocking most of the time, relying on solar (380W) and driving to get some milk (or beer). Never encountered any problem running our 2 fridges, but would love to have an underhood generator for peace of mind and to be able to stay still when camping in the woods.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, we are boondocking most of the time, relying on solar (380W) and driving to get some milk (or beer). Never encountered any problem running our 2 fridges, but would love to have an underhood generator for peace of mind and to be able to stay still when camping in the woods.
So I assume you don't run your AC from battery? I was hoping to fit enough solar and an underhood generator to be able to run AC at times while boondocking, but not sure if that's possible.

BTW, I love this shot! So....many....panels!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Default Cost

Does the old saying hold true...

If you have to ask what it costs, you can't afford it?

I am so tempted to pick a Safari Condo...was thinking a GM MX 18".

Would love to know a ballpark figure for the Promaster and Sprinter tho. Absolutely gorgeous!
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra View Post
Does the old saying hold true...

If you have to ask what it costs, you can't afford it?

I am so tempted to pick a Safari Condo...was thinking a GM MX 18".

Would love to know a ballpark figure for the Promaster and Sprinter tho. Absolutely gorgeous!
The prices are advertised on their website (price with the Canadian van)
Price starting from 86 113$ CAD for the MX 18'
Price starting from 94 380$ CAD for the XL Flex
Price starting from 109 270$ CAD for the Sprinter XL Flex
For a US van you have to ask a quote
More on their website
Recreational vehicles (RV) and Motorhomes | Ram ProMaster - Mercedes Sprinter - GM Savana/Express

Old 04-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
So I assume you don't run your AC from battery? I was hoping to fit enough solar and an underhood generator to be able to run AC at times while boondocking, but not sure if that's possible.

BTW, I love this shot! So....many....panels!

To run the AC you need at least an 800 Amp hours battery bank and/or an underhood generator /and a big inverter.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Is there a typo on the prices?
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
Is there a typo on the prices?
What do you mean?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra View Post
I was quoted approximately $52,000 for a 2017 Promaster XL Flex conversion (you supply the van) with options.

I really, really like that floorplan - but it will all add up to about $15k more (and a one year wait, plus two trips to Canada) than a Travato 59k from the dealership that's 3 towns away. Sigh.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I was quoted approximately $52,000 for a 2017 Promaster XL Flex conversion (you supply the van) with options.

I really, really like that floorplan - but it will all add up to about $15k more (and a one year wait, plus two trips to Canada) than a Travato 59k from the dealership that's 3 towns away. Sigh.

Tom
So you got a 52 000 (USD$?) quote without the price of the van. The price advertised on their website is in CAD$ for a complete vehicle.

Yes, it's a long shot for US customers, but their builds are unique in NA.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:07 PM   #35

Quote:
So you got a 52 000 (USD$?) quote without the price of the van.
Yep - should have been clearer - that was USD. $51k for the conversion, and about $1k in options.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #36
Bronze Member

Default Want to buy 😊

I am really impressed with the Safari Condo build. Thanks so much for the additional information.

I'm just going to throw this out...

WANT TO BUY: USED SAFARI CONDO RV, ANY MODEL, UNDER 50,000 MILES.

Thanks friends. Happy Trails!

deb
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Yep - should have been clearer - that was USD. $51k for the conversion, and about $1k in options.

Tom
I was quoted just under 52K Canadian for a fully loaded Promaster XL Flex conversion using our van. That is only $41170 US dollars at todays exchange rates. I figure I can buy a US spec van for around $35K so for less than 76-77K you can have an incredible RV. Less than or maybe equal to a Travato and much better, at least for us.
CyclingCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingCamper View Post
I was quoted just under 52K Canadian for a fully loaded Promaster XL Flex conversion using our van. That is only $41170 US dollars at todays exchange rates. I figure I can buy a US spec van for around $35K so for less than 76-77K you can have an incredible RV. Less than or maybe equal to a Travato and much better, at least for us.
Us too. With 4 solar panels nonetheless. Much nicer feel than the Travato. So much attention to detail.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:50 AM   #39
Bronze Member

For reference, I paid $37kUSD for the conversion on my Safari Condo Promaster MX. That included a number of options. I bought my diesel promaster for $31k....so the total was $68kUSD. Mine is built on the 136" wheelbase so it is shorter than the models being discussed.
35603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Hello GeorgeB, do you have an update on that ? Just got a new Sprinter XL Flex from Safari Condo, incredible machine. They modified it so I can drive and sleep with wife and my 3 kids. There is a bench under the motorized bed (like the one in the XL Plus) to sit/sleep 2 more people. The only thing that is missing to be perfect is an underhood generator !
pprevill is offline   Reply With Quote