Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 11:39 PM   #61
Site Team

If you go over to Sprinter-source, you will find numerous threads comparing the V6/5-speed and the I4/7-speed. As far as I have seen, literally nobody who actually owns an I4 would consider going back to the V6. This includes many RV owners, including myself. I have never seen such unanimity on any topic over there. Unless you want the 4x4, it is a no-brainer, IMO.

Note also, that a completely new I4 powertrain (OM654) is on the way. It was supposed to have been introduced around now, but there are apparently emissions certification issues (or so rumor has it), so it has been delayed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:48 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skutumpah View Post
I test drove a Chevy 3500 van last week. The dash displayed mileage as 4mpg,
Mine is 2006 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS on a 2005 chev 3500 which weighs well over 8000 pounds, the top makes it about 8'8" high...add vent cover and AC gets to 9'4"
Vortec 6.0 w/ 3sp w/OD ( later models have more speeds, closer ratios)

15 to 16 MPG is what we get cruising at our usual 65~70 with 88/90 octaine 10% ethanol.
the midgrade fuel allows more ignition advance- lower grades may have the timing less advanced and can offer poor-er MPG.
the 85 in CO is useless

I see with many things RV, the cutting edge can be expensive and the results may not always be there.
appliances and energy generation and storage.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Interesting that you see better mileage with mid grade, as we have never found that to happen on ours. I have even watched the Scangauge with both grades, and the actual spark advance was essentially identical, and surprisingly low to anyone used to older engine designs. The fast burn heads allow very low spark angles, so less energy is wasted on the compression stoke because of the big advance of older engines, and the fast burn puts more of the energy close to TDC where it most useful. We also don't get near as much benefit from the non ethanol fuel as we have with some other vehicles.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote