Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #41
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Huh? Isn't Aktiv 1.0 is the same size - Like the Zion SRT? Aktiv 2.0 is the longer one.
No, this is shorter than the SRT.

This is built on the 136" wheel base.
This is only 17' long.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #42
Platinum Member

You must have missed my post.

17'9" to be exact.

2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #43
Silver Member

So what is the street price of these piles of junk? $49k would be about the highest price someone should consider them at. Because then its close enough to the price of converting your own van where you may as well just get these and upgrade them over time if wanted.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:25 AM   #44
Platinum Member

What do you care since they are just a pile of junk?
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #45
Platinum Member

To clarify, there are 4 lengths of PM available in the US. Since mine is the 136" WB, I tend to think of the others in reference to it:

136" WB has 122" floor behind the seats, a 49" side door, and 17'9" total length.
118" WB loses 18" of the side door. It is only available in low roof.
159" WB adds 23" just behind the side door
159" WB Extended adds another 14" behind the rear wheels.

Our 136" is comfortable for two adults several months at a time.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #46
Bronze Member

Re the macerating toilet, I crawled under an Axion briefly and saw what appeared to be the maceratir pump mounted right off the 22 gal grey/black combo wast tank via a 90 deg elbow. A 1.5 inch semi-fkexible hose from the outlet of the macerator pump pointed straight up and headed to the driver side of the Axion. I did not get a chance to finish tracing the plumbing but I think this hose went into a compartment where I briefly saw a THETFORD Sani-Con dump station adapter with their flexible length hose.

I did not see any gate valve but I might have missed that. i think this is a custom adaptation of THETFORD Sani-Con components, not a Turbo or other permanent mount system package from THETFORD. I also did not see a way to bypass a possible failed pump as had been done in some RV's using Sani-Con components. The Sani-Con Turbo product has gravity dump bypass built in but this version of the product is not what is in the Axion. So does anyone have a good description of the actual method of the outgoing waste management system that HYMER/CARADO has employed in the Axion?

Gene
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #47
Bronze Member

Post Axion is extremely stealthy.

After looking over many class B motorhomes to buy (new & used), I concluded that the Axion blends into a parking lot better than any other RV (not counting custom jobs). It doesn't shout Recreational Vehicle with side graphics and has almost no sidewall cutouts. It is short & stubby. The Alde system eliminates the typical 1 foot square plate required for a water heater. Even the coach heater chrome exhaust is gone. The Refrig is electric only (no gas cutout panels). Van color choices are conservative.

As a result, the Axion may be use for stealth overnighting in cities where a standard old campervan would be noticed. That may help justify the price for those working as a week-to-week contractor in San Francisco. A Sportsmobile Penthouse would be less tall, but you can't pop the top without calling attention to yourself.

Hymer chose to offer lots of hi-tech options in the Axion, such as UHG, dual lithium batteries, and solar panel. That combination provides lots of power. You can add a trailer hitch, but other needed options are missing.

What is missing? Well, a spare tire would be nice. Hymer provides a heavy jack and an inflator kit. What good is the jack? Bug screens on the coach doors are needed. There are no covers for the front (cab) windows. There are no seatbelts for spare passengers (Required in CA). I would like a roof rack option (like the Travato).
Visibility out the back is better than all other RVs, but is so poor the rear view mirror should be augmented with a rear view camera (backup camera is already standard, but doesn't tilt to show the horizon).
How about a car alarm? [Now standard on almost all new cars]. There is no climb-in bar near the sliding door. As noted by others, there is no vent fan near the kitchen - There is roof space available IF you don't get the solar option.

The UHG is hung way-down at the bottom of the engine and surely will be smashed while curb parking. [See "The Fit RV" for a commercial solution. James did much T&E and created multiple prototypes before being satisfied with the final design for an UHG he added to his Travato.] I expect Hymer will be seeing many returning RVs with 2nd alternator damage since the factory only protects it with a plastic cover.

Sooo, like many other new RVs, the Axion is basically a kit. I notice that Travatos are much further developed, with lots of little camping touches. Unfortunately many of those features create lots of cuts and patches in the side of the van. Travatos are also too long for a standard parking lot. The drive-in parking spaces in front of my local coffee shop are 18 feet long (I measured them). There really is no standard for parking space size, but in the suburb malls they tend to be longer. Parallel parking spots are long-ish but you need the extra length to maneuver. Parking spots with scenic views or rest areas are typically sized for a large car (18-20 feet).

The Axion is so short it could be used as a daily car, though it is a bit wide. Probably best used for weekend getaways.

FYI: This is my 1st post. I owned a pop-top RV 25 years ago.
DougB, Sacramento CA
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #48
BBQ
Platinum Member

LOL sounds like a hired promoter.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #49
Platinum Member

There's price / usability / suitability / comfort factor that each of us finds acceptable.

Renting is a good option for a few weekend getaways per year.

Stealth is likely overrated IMHO. Safety is more important.

I like a B camper that shouts "I'm on Vacation!"

Winnebago Revel.jpg
Old 09-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbaty View Post

FYI: This is my 1st post. I owned a pop-top RV 25 years ago.
DougB, Sacramento CA
Welcome! That was an excellent first review, listing both the good and the bad. I find that everything on B's is a compromise - you just have to pick what's important to you.

Originally, we thought stealth would be important, but found that although our van is pretty noticeable (blue paint, aluminum wheels), we haven't had any problems so far. We think people assume it's supposed to be there (perhaps they think we are visiting friends nearby) and we don't stay in one place more than overnight anyway. If I wanted to park in a city for a couple of weeks, something that was a little smaller and looked like a work van would probably be preferable.

Tags
axion, carrado, ecotrek, hymer, promaster