Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 02:06 AM   #541
Platinum Member

We "flush" with antifreeze all winter. We just put a small amount of antifreeze in the toilet bowl after each use for the next time. We use it only for liguids and a little toilet paper, no solids. We didn't dump it until we dewinteriized. I am not sure how the macerator would handle it. For some reason I thought the Carado's had cassette toilets. I am not sure how it would work with those.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #542
Platinum Member

Only the Aktiv models have the cassette toilet.

For years when I traveled in the winter back and forth to AZ, I flushed with antifreeze. I can't see that it would matter with the macerator toilet, but you might want to consult the company that makes the toilet to see what they say.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:53 AM   #543
Silver Member

Default Dual 2.4amp USB socket upgrade

I installed this. Easy swap. Fits perfect. Now I can charge my electronics with speed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074YYHFTM..._BIrZCbREFP76N
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E25CBE1F-67E4-4781-A64C-337FEBDBEFFD.jpeg (697.8 KB, 4 views)
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
14ft Jon Boat bass boat conversion
Merlynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #544

Default I Bought one with a loft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith101 View Post
Just saw an Axion 18' Promaster parked at See Grins in Gilroy CA. Did notice Ecotrek 400 but no Voltstart. Looked like a nav screen in the dash. Didn't get all the details, like if separate holding tanks (doubtful). Some pics on Canadian site US equivalent of Canadian price about $73k. Bed folds out to sleep 2, but it looks short for tall people. 2 seat belts up front only.
I’ve been wishing for looking for a minivan length RV for a long time. This comes pretty close at 17’9”. I knew it was not good quality when I bought it (06/19), but it’s the size I want. I got it for just under $73k at DeMartini RV in Grass Valley CA. I still have my 2016 Winnebago Travato 59k which I love, but gotta sell it now.

Here are my observations so far:
1. NEGATIVES: Cheap materials. Cheaply put together. Some panels are not even glued or screwed. So there is a lot of rattling. The drawers don’t stay shut. Macerating toilet when there is already a macerator? Don’t understand! No ceiling fan, not even in the bathroom because of the loft. The loft tent is difficult to open and shut. It takes a lot of effort. The loft mattress is very hard and uncomfortable.

2. POSITIVES: I love how small it is yet still feels spacious. My wife said it doesn’t feel any smaller than our Travato 59k which is 39 inches longer. I love all the counter space with the 2 extensions. I love the position of the refrigerator which can be accessed without coming in. I love that it can sleep 5 people (including the front seats conversion). My boy sleeping in the front, my wife sleeping on the bed (unextended so that all of us can use the bathroom at night), and me sleeping in the loft felt somewhat private and spacious. Amazing for a 17’9” van. Storage is plenty for us with the wardrobe and 3 deep drawers underneath. I love the rear bathroom, better than my 59k rear bathroom because it is more integrated to the cabin with a bigger opening. And when you leave the back doors open, you don’t feel like you are in a 17’ van at all. I love the undermount ac. It is much quieter than the roof mounted ones and it is 12v so I can run it with just the batteries. After that, I can start the engine to recharge much quicker than anything I’ve experienced (I’ve had 9 rvs). And so far, I haven’t felt the need for solar because the battery lasts so long. I love the eco trek 400 with the 2000w inverter. Actually, I don’t really need the inverter except for the microwave. Everything else runs on 12v. BTW, the AC can run on just one ecotrek switch (200a).

I thought not having a fantastic fan would be a big issue but the loft version of Axion comes with a central fan, installed under the bed, that sucks air out from any window that’s open so I haven’t felt so hot even in the 100+ degree California weather. I think the extra insulation with the loft mattress helps a lot.

So far, I’ve added the sumo springs for the rear suspension and that’s made the already easy driving even better. I am planning on replacing the toilet with a cassette kind. That way, I won’t be desperate to find a dump site, and I will have my precious 17 gallons for shower and sink. 17.6 is not enough so I’m considering converting the 22g waste tank to hold fresh water.

Let me know if you have any questions.

2006 Winn View
2012 Jucy Van Conversion
2013 Airstream Interstate
2015 Winn View
2016 RT 170 Versatile
2016 Winn Era X
2016 Winn Travato 59k
2018 Thor Compass 24tf
2019 Casado Axion Studio
Mikekim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #545
Platinum Member

I thought I was bad about trading RVs so often... LOL... you put me to shame. (9 in 13 years!! I only have 4 in 15... but already planning the next one)

I asked about the macerating toilet plus macerator because it didn't make sense to me. Don't know about the accuracy of the answer but the person told me that it was an "odd path" from toilet to tank which the toilet helped avoid plugs between the two. With the second to be normal facilitation of dumping. You'll have to look.

La Mesa bought all the remaining loft Axions from the 'big factory sale' and have about a dozen or so of them fully loaded priced in the high $60s. So, you didn't do too badly on the price. There are still a few dealers listing them in the $80s.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #546
Bronze Member

We bought our Axion last Nov and couldn't be happier for the same reasons you listed. Sure it has some quirks, which RV doesn't. Though some are serious. If you haven't done so already make sure you attend to the UG coolant issue and plastic cover rubbing on the wiring harness. Also the Balmar (UG voltage regulator), inverter and solar controller need to be reprogrammed. Check out SUIET hack's for the new configs https://sites.google.com/view/suiet-...ecotrek-system. Also the Carado, ecotrek, and Axion FB group are great source of info as well.
jradwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #547
Bronze Member

Toilet is not over the tank so need to push using the macerator. By the way, toilet has a sensor that shuts the toilet off when tank nears full.
Going to a cassette type toilet sounds good, I have considered this to get more capacity for sink and shower and make it easier to camp in the cold. Thetford has a nice one that you can get a floor plate to secure it.
Overall quality not too bad considering the price. Quite happy overall and getting a lot of use for local as well as camping.
I need to add insulation, especially in the roof. Trying to figure out how to get access without removing the entire interior.
Not having a warranty ended up not so bad since I don't have to worry about doing something that voids the warranty and don't have to find and wait for service.
joe33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #548
fjc

Default Axion Loft Question

Can someone tell me what the two black openings are (next to the 4 rear roof red lights)?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axion_Loft_rear.jpg (116.1 KB, 29 views)
fjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #549
Bronze Member

Vent for the grey/black tank on the right. The one on the left could vent the sink and toilet but not sure.
joe33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #550
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjc View Post
Can someone tell me what the two black openings are (next to the 4 rear roof red lights)?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe33 View Post
Vent for the grey/black tank on the right. The one on the left could vent the sink and toilet but not sure.
Can't tell from the picture, but if the opening is not screened, it might be a good idea to zip-tie a little patch of window screen over the vent. Not that I've ever heard of any critters blocking them up.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #551
Bronze Member

I know this is older post, but I am planning on removing the GU; it still works, but I've had problems with leaks and the wiring was damaged because of the GU cover; it is all now in order, but I don't use the AC with the GU running, so I really do not need such a high-powered second alternator. I plan on replacing the GU with a Renogy 40 amp DC-to-DC charger running on the chassis alternator. I also plan on removing the Balmar and EcoTreks (and AGM battery for the Balmar) and replacing them with Battle Borns (I might consider the EcoTrek L2 series, as they have a much lower BMS load). My idea is to place the new batteries in the right-most compartment under the bed. I think this will eliminate the headaches that I have had with the Ecotreks, and the fact that 200 watts of solar on the roof is basically just enough to maintain the power-hungry needs of the H-series BMS (that is really ridiculous to me, if you think about it). In the end, I think this mod will work for my needs. I have not heard of anyone else doing this, but any ideas and assistance would be appreciated.

I understand that the Balmar has a brown wire that is already connected to the ignition, so that I could use that on the Renogy charger (one less thing to do). I am in the research phase and learning what I can do on my own, and what can I have done by professionals -- likely local mechanics, because RV techs are impossible to get an appointment, and they act like this is rocket science and requires weeks of labor (I called a place in Manassas VA recommended by someone in the FB group, and the guy said he would need my Axion for a couple of WEEKS ... no way Jose'. I live in it full-time, and this is not THAT major of an overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Everyone who has a Promaster based RV built by EHGNA with an underhood generator should be checking this hose system regularly... forever. On a poll about 1/3 of reported owners on one Facebook page have had minor leaks, but about 10% have had a serious rupture incapacitating the van and at least 2 people have lost their engines.

A few of the minor leaks were caused by Promaster, but most are the fault of the UHG installation.

I take a glance under my van every time I walk past.
kmrotterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #552
fjc

Default Axion OEM Side Bug Screen

I just bought a new 2019 Axion Loft. It has an OEM bug screen.

I want to add rear Sumo springs. Black or Yellow springs? Any suggestion?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5216.jpg (101.8 KB, 8 views)
fjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #553
Platinum Member

On the 2500 and 3500 we are all putting on the yellow and they really make the rig more stable in wind and turns. But I haven't heard what the people with the 1500 are using. If I had one, I would call the SuperSpring people and ask their advice.

I added both front and rear on my 2500 and it was worth the investment. If you are handy and have some ramps, you can do it yourself. I found a good mechanic who put them on for an hour of labor... about $90.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #554
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
On the 2500 and 3500 we are all putting on the yellow and they really make the rig more stable in wind and turns. But I haven't heard what the people with the 1500 are using. If I had one, I would call the SuperSpring people and ask their advice.

I added both front and rear on my 2500 and it was worth the investment. If you are handy and have some ramps, you can do it yourself. I found a good mechanic who put them on for an hour of labor... about $90.
I have a 2017 Carado Axion (17'9") and have not found a need to alter or enhance my suspension at all after 2 years of heavy use. But that's just me.
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:36 AM   #555
Platinum Member

I test drove an Axion when they first came out and loved the way it drove. But it wasn't out on the highway or in the high winds of the prairies. Adding Sumos to my 2500 wasn't crucial as I was happy enough, but it did improve the drive. The 1500 is enough shorter that it may not make that much difference.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Tags
axion, carrado, ecotrek, hymer, promaster