Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Question Towing with a Roadtrek 210 Popular?

Hello all-

I have this idea of towing a lightweight toy hauler (jayco octane 161 4300 lbs dry, 5500 lbs. with two motorcycles) with a 210 Popular. I see in the brochure that the 210 can tow up to 7650 lbs. Has anyone towed anything that heavy with their Roadtrek 210 Popular? Just want to get a feel for what's a realistic weight to tow with a 210... Thank you!!

Dave
rriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That is a very large tow for a 210. Gross combined is 16000# but in reality you will overheat the engine and transmission badly if you come close to that weight and are on anything but flat or downhill. There is one poster on Yahoo who tows heavy, I think around 5K, and he has done lots of work to keep his cool, with auxiliary coolers, fans, etc. I think he has a 190, though. With the extended rear on the 210, tongue weight and sway can get to be issues.

Most Roadtreks seem to not like more than 3500#, and even then will need some modifications, from what I have heard. 2000-2800# is fairly common in light trailer pulling.

Not saying impossible, but definitely not a hook up and go.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That is a very large tow for a 210. Gross combined is 16000# but in reality you will overheat the engine and transmission badly if you come close to that weight and are on anything but flat or downhill. There is one poster on Yahoo who tows heavy, I think around 5K, and he has done lots of work to keep his cool, with auxiliary coolers, fans, etc. I think he has a 190, though. With the extended rear on the 210, tongue weight and sway can get to be issues.

Most Roadtreks seem to not like more than 3500#, and even then will need some modifications, from what I have heard. 2000-2800# is fairly common in light trailer pulling.

Not saying impossible, but definitely not a hook up and go.
Thank you, booster! Excellent info...and I hadn't thought of the issues with the extended body regarding sway and tongue weight.

Dave
Old 01-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Dave,
If you haven't done so yet, I would also have your RT weighed fully loaded (each tire if possible). You might already be close to the maximum capacity of your rear tires. Your trailer would probably have at least 500 or 600 lbs on the hitch. Without considering the leverage because of the overhang, that would add 300 lbs per tire.
Also, a small suggestion. It would be best if you indicated the model year of your RT. The 210 has two very different versions and drivetrains depending on the model year. I'm sure you mean the newer one with the 6.0L engine.
William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJones View Post
Dave,
If you haven't done so yet, I would also have your RT weighed fully loaded (each tire if possible). You might already be close to the maximum capacity of your rear tires. Your trailer would probably have at least 500 or 600 lbs on the hitch. Without considering the leverage because of the overhang, that would add 300 lbs per tire.
Also, a small suggestion. It would be best if you indicated the model year of your RT. The 210 has two very different versions and drivetrains depending on the model year. I'm sure you mean the newer one with the 6.0L engine.
William
Thanks WJones! That's a great idea re, tire weighing. Important to consider! 2014 RT 210.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #6

I have a 1993 roadtrek 210 popular. Just bought it from someone. They towed a small Jeep on a flat bed trailer with no problems. Gas mileage went from about 14mpg to 8mpg towing Hope that helps!
snicker70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 AM   #7
Bronze Member

We have a 2016 210 6.0 L, and pull 2 trailers, a horse trailer, 6000 lbs loaded with 800 lbs tongue wt, and 2 bike harley hauler, 4500 lbs loaded with 600 lbs tongue wt.

We use a weight distribution hitch, trailer brakes, and the tow mode button and have been on many trips with no problems. We get approx 10 mpg towing.
prfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:20 AM   #8
Platinum Member

On the '16 210, do you have a Scan Gauge or anything giving you an idea of the transmission temp or water temp? I have a '15 was just wondering how those two read. Ron
Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 AM   #9
Bronze Member

I watch the water temp dash gauge, never seen it over the normal 210 F. Don't have a tyranny temp gauge.

Also watch tire pressure, especially the rears. I have onboard 12v air and never start without checking / adding air as needed, especially if temps have dropped overnight.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
Bronze Member

The ScanGauge sounds like a great idea. Does anyone know if tyranny temp is supported in the Chevy Express 6.0L codes?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJones View Post
Dave,
William
Weighing is always a good idea with a 210, as most are close to gross weight all the time.

Besides the engine size changes over years, there is the swap to the 6 speed transmission in 2010(?) that might be even more significant than the engines. We don't seem to be getting as many complaints of running hot with 6 speed models, compared to the 4 speed ones. Perhaps GM wised up and did something about both the transmission and engine cooling capacities.

The Scangauge for sure supports the 4 speeds, and likely the 6 speed trans temps.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prfleming View Post
The ScanGauge sounds like a great idea. Does anyone know if tyranny temp is supported in the Chevy Express 6.0L codes?
Yes, Scangauge II has this feature in the Xgauge program:

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/gm/
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadtrek 210 popular, towing