Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Travato 59k OCCC

I am slowly developing a short list for purchase on a new or recent class B.

The Hymer Aktiv 2 is on my list, but the state "Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity" of 750 lbs seemed so low that I decided to contact Hymer to see if it is correct. It apparently is!

If you were to travel with a tank of fresh water, two people and a bike rack with two bikes, I reckon you'd have maybe 125 left to g before you were maxed out.

I'm never happy about running anything on a vehicle up to its max so this unit is now dropping quite a bit on my list!

I think that the Aktiv 2 is largely very similar to the Travato 59 G or K so decided to see what was in the Travato spec for its OCCC - but I don't see a figure on the Winnebago website.

Does anyone happen to know what the OCCC of the Travato would be? If not isn't pretty close to the Aktiv 2, I would wonder why.

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The Activ is built on a 2500 chassis. The Travato is built on a 3500. OCCC on the Travato is somewhere around 1900lbs.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the feedback on the Travato 1900# sounds a much better figure!

However, it is not the original Aktiv 1 that I was interested in, but rather the Aktiv 2.

If you look at the specs of these two vehicles on the gohymer.com website, you find:

Aktiv1 2500 chassis, OCCC = 1254# (which isn't bad)

but then,

Aktiv2 3500 chassis, OCCC = 750# (which to me seems marginally acceptable)

I originally thought their website info might be wrong, although the 2 is 15" longer,
but in an online chat with gohymer, they confirmed that 750# is the correct number for the 2.

So why the Travato would be so much higher for the same vehicle, same layout, I don't understand!

Brian.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Just got email confirmation from Winnebago that the Travato 59k has an OCCC rating of approx 1900 lbs - slight variation depending upon factory options - whereas supposedly the Hyer Aktiv 2 with almost identical interior layout and built on the same 3500 Promaster is listed at just 750 lbs.

Don't understand how there could be such a big difference

I think the Roadtrek Zion - again on the same 3500 Promaster is 1250lbs.

Brian
Old 11-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

This is just a guess; but the Travato cabinets are made of a mix of lightweight wood products with an engineered laminated waferboard type material for the cabinets doors, and the Hymer cabinets are made out of some sort of plastic composite stuff... (I never have got a definitive answer on what it actually is - Does anyone know?) , but it FEELS heavy..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Got my answer to the Aktiv 2 OCCC figure of 750lbs quoted in the Hymer brochure.

Talking with a Hymer marketing rep I was advised that "Their" figure is over and above allowance for a full tank of water plus driver and one passenger!

I expressed my view that this is rather confusing an doesn't paint a good picture from a marketing perspective compared to competitive makes - and is not in accord with the
normally accepted definition of OCCC.

The gentleman agreed and said he would be speaking with their engineering dept. Maybe the brochure will be changed. True OCCC is more like 1600 lbs.

Brian