Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 AM   #1

Default Weird specific Zion question (vs Travato)

Hi - first I want to say thank you to all of you for your historical Q&A. It's helped me tremendously. I'm in the final steps of buying my first Class B. Hope to be on the road in a few weeks!

I was an inch away from buying a Travato 59G (rear fold down...love it) and discovered the RT Zion. I had never before considered it.

My use will be mostly full-time living. I'm single, in my 30s and do a bunch of adventure travel but also just basic work travel. So workspace is helpful:

I wanted to ask three questions:
- For the Zion folks: the way the front seats swivel seems odd. When I sat in the seats today my legs dangled. And I'm 6'. Seems odd. Has that or the general minimal amount of surface space overall been an issue?

- Also for the Zion folks: Is the relatively small amount of table space an issue for you or am I overthinking it?

- For everyone: if you considered a Zion vs a Travato might I ask what swayed you in either direction and if you are happy with that decision? I'm clear on the advantages of the Zion's electrical systems but have some reservations about the interior layout....

Thanks so so much! I hope to be able to answer questions for other newbies in the future!
javatoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Silver Member

Simply reading what you posted, ie. full time, living, work space, me myself I think ergonomics, functionality, space comfort are what need to lead your choice. The electric "stuff" of the Zion don't address that at all. Best Wishes. And you did say "reservation" about Zion interior layout
talktodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Silver Member

I looked at both, and then I looked at the new Hymer Aktiv and ordered that instead. I was fortunate to get to actually get in and walk around an Aktiv before it sold. It had more open space, more storage, a larger bed for a taller person, AND more windows and light.

If you get a Travavto 59g, look for a 2017 mid-year or 2017.5 as it has an improved table (doesn't rattle as much). Best of luck!
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatoast View Post
Hi - first I want to say thank you to all of you for your historical Q&A. It's helped me tremendously. I'm in the final steps of buying my first Class B. Hope to be on the road in a few weeks!

I was an inch away from buying a Travato 59G (rear fold down...love it) and discovered the RT Zion. I had never before considered it.

My use will be mostly full-time living. I'm single, in my 30s and do a bunch of adventure travel but also just basic work travel. So workspace is helpful:

I wanted to ask three questions:
- For the Zion folks: the way the front seats swivel seems odd. When I sat in the seats today my legs dangled. And I'm 6'. Seems odd. Has that or the general minimal amount of surface space overall been an issue?

- Also for the Zion folks: Is the relatively small amount of table space an issue for you or am I overthinking it?

- For everyone: if you considered a Zion vs a Travato might I ask what swayed you in either direction and if you are happy with that decision? I'm clear on the advantages of the Zion's electrical systems but have some reservations about the interior layout....

Thanks so so much! I hope to be able to answer questions for other newbies in the future!
i have a zion. we bought folding step of of amazon that we use for multiple things including for resting feet on under the passenger swivel seat whan it;s turned around.

as for table space-a single person would get along fine in a zion. ut to each his
own. if i was single i would look at the ZION SRT. Perfect zion for a single
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i have a zion. we bought folding step of of amazon that we use for multiple things including for resting feet on under the passenger swivel seat whan it;s turned around.

as for table space-a single person would get along fine in a zion. ut to each his
own. if i was single i would look at the ZION SRT. Perfect zion for a single
Is the utility of the Zion driver seat affected by the proximity of the bathroom directly behind it?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Is the utility of the Zion driver seat affected by the proximity of the bathroom directly behind it?
i don't know-i have it set as far back as possible both ways and it's fine for me.

I should suggest someone try it first pushing it back as far as possible and see if that works.

i;m 5'11. i have read people over 6'3' have issues with it
Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #7
Bronze Member

I purchased the Simplicity in December 2016 which has same layout as Zion with less upgrades. Purchased it for several reasons:

1. lowest entry cost of class Bs I could find (approx. $70,000 new for a 2016)
2. I did not need leather, automatic steps, upgraded countertop, sliding screens, extra paint, etc. that came with more costly models.
3. I needed to seat and sleep 3 with one being a pre teen. Preteen sits in back and plays XBox/watches vids while we drive and can sleep on the couch while driving (worked great over Christmas with 48 hours/2700 miles over 11 days.
4. I am 6'. I do all the driving and find myself close to the steering wheel since it only telescopes - no tilt. IN the above mileage it was more comfortable than my 2014 Honda Odyssey
5. Agree that seat swivel is a bit odd with dangling legs. Our plan is to use table more in back, however, that would force you to make up the bed which may not be desirable for a single 30yo.
6. also chose RT over others due to location of items. i.e. fridge is high up for easy access along with microwave. At 6' bending over was not desirable.

Issues working on right now: 1. capacity for 3 bikes. I do not want to put on back so will most likely build a box for each to put either inside or behind the couch inside the back doors. 2. sleeping arrangement. I got the front bed for my 12 year old and think it will work short term, but thinking building a "bunk" in back over the king bed that is created.

Most of the RVs we looked at seemed geared to 2 people only and definitely not carrying more than 4 comfortably. I needed to be able to carry up to 5 at times (us and two grandparents). This is also to be my daily driver. A bit large, but I have been parking at work with no issues.
aturner1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If you like the Travato I would seriously look at the Aktiv. We liked the 59g but thought it was dark and I didn't want a propane generator. Literally walked through an Aktiv today and it was light and airy with the sunroof above the dinette, windows are better design IMO, and the bathroom is nice (not as big as a Travato but much nicer than a Zion). I really really wanted to buy the Aktiv that I think is a great value however at 6 feet tall I haven't been able to get comfortable in the driver seat of any Promaster based RV. If it works for you awesome.

One thing to note. The Hymer rep mentioned that Dodge is making an adjustable steering wheel for the Aktiv on order in two months that will include tilt adjust. Not sure how that would happen or if he was just trying to make the deal, but maybe there is hope for the Dodge. The seats were so uncomfortable for us (kind of like sitting on a bar stool) we ordered a Sprinter Agile instead.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
If you like the Travato I would seriously look at the Aktiv. We liked the 59g but thought it was dark and I didn't want a propane generator. Literally walked through an Aktiv today and it was light and airy with the sunroof above the dinette, windows are better design IMO, and the bathroom is nice (not as big as a Travato but much nicer than a Zion). I really really wanted to buy the Aktiv that I think is a great value however at 6 feet tall I haven't been able to get comfortable in the driver seat of any Promaster based RV. If it works for you awesome.

One thing to note. The Hymer rep mentioned that Dodge is making an adjustable steering wheel for the Aktiv on order in two months that will include tilt adjust. Not sure how that would happen or if he was just trying to make the deal, but maybe there is hope for the Dodge. The seats were so uncomfortable for us (kind of like sitting on a bar stool) we ordered a Sprinter Agile instead.
We love the Promaster seats in our Safari Condo for driving and as part of our dinette. Very supportive and good lumbar support. I'm 5'5" and my wife is 5'. Maybe that's the difference. Sometimes it's great to be short.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:04 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
We love the Promaster seats in our Safari Condo for driving and as part of our dinette. Very supportive and good lumbar support. I'm 5'5" and my wife is 5'. Maybe that's the difference. Sometimes it's great to be short.
I actually saw a youtube video on this subject. Anyone over 6 feet 3 inches hits their head

the consensus was the best height for th promaster was under 6 feet