Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Westfalia returning to US?

Ad in Motorhome Magazine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E1FB6A20-E1E1-45BF-B4EF-BC07D9A36530.jpeg (158.7 KB, 242 views)
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Also saw the ad with address in Germany. Wondering the same thing. It would be great to see their products back in our market.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:37 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Also saw the ad with address in Germany. Wondering the same thing. It would be great to see their products back in our market.
I guess they may not have a legal address in North America until the purchase of Roadtrek is finalized, but why advertise in a US magazine if your not planning on coming to the US?
Old 06-03-2019, 02:50 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I assume that the Westfalia is on its way back... but which one? Even if they get up and running by the end of the summer as they projected to a local TV station up in Ontario, it will likely be a year before anything new comes on the market. First off, they will need to complete any partially built units on the line.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Westfalia went through major pains with Daimler AG ordeal, saved by French they are doing well today. Hymer disaster in NA will be a good lesson for them as well. With heart in the process of getting into NA Westfalia has a potential to rejuvenate this, skewed for elderly folks B-class market in NA. Perhaps changing the B-class formula for young families will allow them to rename a section of the B class to just Campervans.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Crossing our fingers. From a former Westy owner.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

That's an ambitious lineup. It kind of portends there will nothing of the old Roadtrek but perhaps the facilities and maybe some employees and the goodwill of the Roadtrek brand name if that. Kind of doubt any Roadtrek models of the past will be continued given that ad. That Sprinter may be the reintroduction of the James Cook model Airstream toyed with in 2005. That would be a welcome option in the market.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I would love to see those models come here, but is that ad perhaps from Great Britain? It's in english, but with a German phone number. Also, the Promaster (or is it Pugeot) models do not look like the U.S version. Couldn't blow up the picture enough to see if the models shown are right-hand drive.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I would love to see those models come here, but is that ad perhaps from Great Britain? It's in english, but with a German phone number. Also, the Promaster (or is it Pugeot) models do not look like the U.S version. Couldn't blow up the picture enough to see if the models shown are right-hand drive.
The ad was in a US magazine, Motorhome...
Old 06-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
The ad was in a US magazine, Motorhome...
Yep. My issue came in the mail today. Page 25.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I don't see that ad suggesting that they will be selling all of those here any time soon. Most of the platforms are not even available in the US. I think they were just introducing themselves and showing what kind of stuff that they have done in Europe.

First of all they will be completing the partially done models on the factory lines. Presumably at the same time, they will be developing one of their Westfalia models for the NA market... getting approvals from various governments and RVIA. Hopefully getting something to the market by next summer. With any luck they won't go nuts introducing 7 or 8 new models to compete with their own existing RT models and drive the company into Receivership in a couple years like Hymer did.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Hopefully, Westfalia learned from EHGNA...expand slowly and don't get too far ahead of the market or your capital reserves. I expect we'll see RT's back on the market first - capitalizing on the proven brand name - and then paced introductions of new concepts.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
Hopefully, Westfalia learned from EHGNA...expand slowly and don't get too far ahead of the market or your capital reserves. I expect we'll see RT's back on the market first - capitalizing on the proven brand name - and then paced introductions of new concepts.
My view is that the Westfalia brand is probably more well known to the general public than the Roadtrek brand. A strategy of selecting a small set of the Roadtrek models that are the best sellers and quickly introducing some Westfalia models could get good results versus continuing to compete directly against similar offerings from the competition. Most people expect they will drop the Chevy models. Keep the Agile since the short Sprinter is not widely available. Focus on getting the quality back into the products in all cases.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Attracting young families to simplicities of camping by bringing simple, high quality camper vans at right costs could rejuvenate the camper van market. Young family van means 2+3 sitting and 2+3 sleeping with designed in fixability at any RV dealer. I don’t know if it is possible to design such a van today but it was possible in the past, my 77 Westfalia had 5 seats, 2+3 sleeping, my 85 Westfalia had 7 seats, 2+3 sleeping and both of them were less than 15’ in length.

I hope Westfalia will strive for B class rejuvenation and with past efforts of Hymer and good vans from Winnebago (still too expensive) this market segment will grow.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #15
Silver Member

Default That Roadtrek name has value

That Roadtrek name has value. In fact, the name may have more value than the rest of the assets. I would be surprised not to see the Roadtrek name back on some model in the future. Although I have no idea what it night look like. I owned Westfalia pop-up V-W's and V-W Eurovan models in my RV history (sold in the USA) and I have good impressions of the name and good memories as I assume do many Americans. Perhaps a Roadtrek Westfalia Edition ?
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
Perhaps a Roadtrek Westfalia Edition ?
Something like that would be my guess as well.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
My view is that the Westfalia brand is probably more well known to the general public than the Roadtrek brand. A strategy of selecting a small set of the Roadtrek models that are the best sellers and quickly introducing some Westfalia models could get good results versus continuing to compete directly against similar offerings from the competition. Most people expect they will drop the Chevy models. Keep the Agile since the short Sprinter is not widely available. Focus on getting the quality back into the products in all cases.
Let's hope so. At least Westfalia ownership has experience in revitalizing brands.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Default retrofit

I always dreamed of making my '97 Roadtrek 170P fiberglass top into a "Westy" style pop-top. Just hinge the back where the AC is, and lift the rest up for some more headroom. Being just shy of 6'4", I really need it. Has anyone ever removed a Roadtrek fiberglass top, and know if this is at all feasible?

(as if we need more places for the top to leak... )
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic7320 View Post
I always dreamed of making my '97 Roadtrek 170P fiberglass top into a "Westy" style pop-top. Just hinge the back where the AC is, and lift the rest up for some more headroom. Being just shy of 6'4", I really need it. Has anyone ever removed a Roadtrek fiberglass top, and know if this is at all feasible?

(as if we need more places for the top to leak... )
Interesting concept, but pretty sure way too many cabinets attached to roof to even consider. But ordering a special build from Sportmobile . . . . maybe, bit not with a roof ac.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #20
Platinum Member

https://www.westfalia-mobil.com/en/

According to their website, they offer a VW van-based "Club Joker" model that is much like the '05 Sprinter Airstream Westfalia floor plan. Now THAT might be interesting!
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote