Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #1

Default 1988 Ford Holidaire complete renovation

Hello all I have owned my 1988 Ford Holidaire class b camper for almost 5 years now. I picked this beauty that I call the Bachelorette up for 1500 bucks from a couple who originally purchased it in Canada and then toured the USA in it. So my entire van is Canadian spec which to my knowledge is just the speedometer , odometer and some badging/ model name. (Hence the Holidaire)

Here are some photos of the interior as it was before I did anything to it

The first step in my renovation process was to gut the interior completely. I removed all the trim pieces, removed all the carpets, removed the bucket seats.

My van had really bad mold from a leaky window so my next step was to remove the upper windows and all of the rotten wood that was contaminated from the leaks/mold This was the only picture I have of this process but we removed a lot of the wood.

Once all the wood was removed we flex sealed the fiberglass wall that was under the wood with black flex seal

While the windows were out I sanded down all of the caulk off the side of the window and the glass that was very poorly previously applied I'm assuming to attempt to fix the leaky window.

Once everything was removed and clean I reinstalled the windows the correct way. During this process I realized that the windows were installed upside down. Which is the reason why they were leaking. The windows were draining into the wall of the camper. We got that fixed and got them reinstalled the correct way.

To be continued....
cramerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Wow! That is way too much work for me. I had a 1973 Dodge van conversion in 1985 and this reminds me of that, but not nearly as bad as yours. Good luck and please keep us informed of your progress!
richpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 AM   #3

Hi, I am looking forward to same process. Have you replaced the seats? If so , were they swivel and also were they hard to find? Thanks, Susan
edlunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlunds View Post
Hi, I am looking forward to same process. Have you replaced the seats? If so , were they swivel and also were they hard to find? Thanks, Susan
I did not replace the seats I had them and the couch reupholstered. Yes they are swivel.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #5

After the windows were sealed the next step was to address the cabinets. This is the only photo I have of them before they were resurfaced. As you can see they were extremely faded and worn looking.

I wanted to brighten up the interior and make it look fresh and up to date. I had every cabinet door resurfaced and repainted white.

I even had the cupholder resurfaced and sprayed white as well to match. It came out looking great.

I still have not gotten the door back and some other cabinets I will upload the rest of the photos when I get them back.

After this was the floors I removed all the carpet down to the bare wood.

Once all the carpet was stripped and everything was swept out I flex sealed it with black flex seal.

Next was wood selection. I went with a really nice hardwood floor that my roommate scavenged from a job site that he was working on. Did not want to do laminate because I did not want to risk it bubbling up from liquids getting spilt on them.

We sized them and cut them to shape next

Finished up the floor we ran it all the way from behind the bucket seats to the bathroom and stopped there because I am doing a tile floor in the bathroom and in front of the bucket seats because it would have been to hard to do wood in the front with the angles. Floor came out looking better than I could have imagined.

.... To be continued
Old 01-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #6

Also does anyone know why all my pictures are being posted sideways ? thanks in advance.