Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Default 1990 Roadtrek Roof Windows

Anyone found a DIY hack to replace these windows? Mine are weathered, leaking and one has a small crack that isn't leaking but doesn't look great either. Replacement from a Roadtrek dealer is $244 a piece for that price I could install a bay window in that puppy! Thanks!
J_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Silver Member

Default YouTube

A chap uploaded a series of three or four videos on removing a resealing the windows. Don't overtighten the frames as the curve will make them pull away from the glass. That will make more sense when you have it apart. If the glass is cracked you could check with a local glass shop but it is not cheap to have a chunk of tempered glass custom made.

fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

I was looking up Plexiglas/acrylic sheets and found Home Depot & Lowes carry 24x48 sheets which can be bent via a heat gun so I may be venturing out in the world of hand bending replacements here and using the sealing method of that Youtube user.
J_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think I would go with a tinted polycarbonate / Lexan sheet which is likely to be a more robust choice than plexiglass or acrylic.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Plexi will warp under the heat, you'll need to go with poly/lexan.

However, if you needed a "window" to pass a visual inspection from 20 feet away for about a half a second glance, plexi will work. Don't ask

Also note, the glass doesn't have to be tempered if you want to save some money. But in the interests of safety it should be coated on both sides so that if it breaks it will stay in one piece.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Silver Member

Just be careful. Front windows in a motor vehicle moving at highway speeds are subjected to a lot of pressure and at risk of impact. Obviously something caused the current window to break so you want a replacement that is no less strong than the original.
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I'd have to see a pic - 25 years for glass is nothing...I have multiple vehicles with 50 and 60 year old glass.

Most rubber seals are "generic and can be found in the catalog from Steele.

some autobody supply shops ( like the ones that supply custom paints, clips and parts will also stock rubber seals.

replacing seals is pretty easy, reuse the old glass.

acrylic is easy to work with but does not do well exposed to teh sun and may become brittle and crack long before the new seals fail

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The fact that his window has a crack in it implies that it is not, in fact, tempered. Anything that penetrates the tempering layer will normally cause the glass ti instantly disintegrate.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #9

Default Skylight Upper Windows part number/supplier, 7 years later

I’m answering an old post, I know, but there was no resolution so I thought I’d give a reply for/to those people like me searching in 2023…I just found these windows.

They’re plastic in the older (‘88-‘94) Roadtreks, not glass, so it’s safe to disregard comments about working with tempered glass.

Mobile life rv in Canada (866-653-5886) has the replacement windows on their site (#HM 95). All 3 use same part number, they will contact you regarding which you want/need after filling out contact form or calling them: https://www.mobiliferv.ca/rv-parts/r...s-window/6339/

The rubber H moulding is here (#HM 94): https://www.mobiliferv.ca/rv-parts/r...ot-hm-94/6742/

Good luck!
Priusjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #10

Good video - is there a follow up to it??
Move-On-uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:09 AM   #11

Anyone have a US source or standard equivalent for that H moulding? Eight Canuck Pesos per foot is a bit spendy, but I’ll pay it if I have to. Need to redo my skylights and rear grills.
sickchilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 03:21 PM   #12
Platinum Member

check Steel Rubber Products for weatherstriping/ seals.

the catalog has end view of profiles with dimensions
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:51 AM   #13

FYI, this is the correct part (or at least it worked correctly enough for me) for the rear AC vent molding. 25 feet is more than enough to do both. I had the proper tools, but even with them, I hope to never have to deal with this again. Would be easier if dealing with real glass but those metal louvered vents are flimsy and fragile, not to mention dangerous to the hands.
TRIM-LOK - LK1663-25 Trim-Lok EPDM Dense Rubber Window Locking Gasket – Fits 1/4” Glass and 1/8” Panel Edge, 25’ Length – One-Piece Locking System (Inline), Weather Stripping Seal for Stationary Windows or Windshields https://a.co/d/emeTkwM
sickchilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 12:59 AM   #14
Platinum Member

People are confusing. Vintage video shows an aluminum frame, with tempered glass , then you move on to H molding.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote