Old 12-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #31
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Like the mount, it should not get plucked off by low lying branches, as happened to us (almost) in Yucatan. This mount would permit a second 315 W over the Fantastic Fan on our 2002 Roadtrek.
Reed and Elaine
Yes it could, and my husband is trying to convince me to do exactly that with ours (we bought extra panels and store them in our house until they prove to be needed).

However I enjoy the light that comes down through the Fantastic; we have an Ultra Breeze covering it, which blocks some of the light but it's still quite bright. So I'm not sure if we need a fourth panel just yet. But if an owner instead covered their Fantastic with a vaulted solar panel, it would eliminate the need for a secondary rain cover, so that's something to think about.

Our solar system is being sized to accommodate my main work computer, which requires somewhere in the neighborhood of 240 watts. We have a DIY lithium upgrade in progress right now, so we haven't done any real-life testing as to whether we can get away with these 3 panels or whether we need more.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #32

Elaine love the Fantastic Fan so putting a second 315 W panel might be difficult. Our total of 415 W seems to be sufficient. We can run the a/c for 2 or 3 hour without running the LFP battery suite (4.5 kW-hrs) below 50% status of charge.

Think we will put something on the front 100 W panel that will keep it from getting snagged. Have seen a few exampled of "air dams" that should worm.

Reed and Elaine

Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #33
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Think we will put something on the front 100 W panel that will keep it from getting snagged. Have seen a few exampled of "air dams" that should worm.

Reed and Elaine
I did try a DIY wind fairing in front of our new 3rd solar panel addition, but found it to cause too much air turbulence at highway speed causing the fantastic vent fan to rattle like crazy, so I removed itů try a temporary air dam first before building a permanent one, it might save you time and money in the end.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #34

Greetings;
I like how the rear view camera is mounted. I can not find a vehicle specific camera for my 2002 Roadtrek Chevy 3500 Express van. It looks like a license plate camera is used with brackets. Could a close up photo please be sent or posted. It would be greatly appreciated as I would like to duplicate the set up.

Best regards,
Craig
CR1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #35
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR1650 View Post
Greetings;
I like how the rear view camera is mounted. I can not find a vehicle specific camera for my 2002 Roadtrek Chevy 3500 Express van. It looks like a license plate camera is used with brackets. Could a close up photo please be sent or posted. It would be greatly appreciated as I would like to duplicate the set up.

Best regards,
Craig
Do you mean our rear view camera? The one that is visible behind the solar panels?

If so, I don't have a concise blog post with sourcing instructions... somehow that one never got written. But this Air Forums thread authored by my husband has quite a lot of detail and also pics of the installation process.

He created a special mount for it by duplicating the roof curvature on a mock-up. The system also has side cameras, which actuate when the turn signal is pressed. My favorite part of it is the nine-inch monitor in the cab. Those tiny little dash-embedded "a$$ cams" are pretty much useless IMO. I wanted a BIG monitor so that I could actually see what is going on back there. And to the sides.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote