Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #81
Platinum Member

If you read the article, they mention a large amount of toilet tissue on the roadway. But we all know it was Bush's fault.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #82
Platinum Member

In Mexico and most of Central America RV's and buses dump their black tank on the side of the road.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #83
BBQ
Platinum Member

just noticed this feature...

the heated drainage was available in the Trend,
now also in the Travato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-11-08 08.53.jpg (39.5 KB, 650 views)
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #84

Well here's a question. I live in San Diego so I'm not concerned with cold when storing My Zion. During spring and fall trips either up into Utah or the Eastern Sierra we will encounter nighttime temperatures dropping into the low 30's. I will keep the volt start on and set the heater inside the van for 45° so it will kick on if it gets too cold. So far this works very well and we have no problems staying warm inside the van no problems with freezing in the plumbing. However, I'm wondering how low I can go. If temperatures are going to drop into the 20s, would that be enough for a short period of time during the night to freeze a gray or black tank or water in a line? I guess my concern is I don't know what the lower limit is and don't want to find out the hard way. Anyone have any experience in this regard?
South Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #85
Site Team

It depends entirely on the details of your plumbing. Most people have no fear of a few hours in the 20s, but there are no guarantees. Almost certainly your tanks will be fine. Even if they did freeze, unless they were completely full they are very unlikely to be damaged. The biggest risk is outdoor fittings and fixtures (e.g., outside shower). If you are expecting cold weather, remove any such item that you can and take it inside.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 PM   #86

Thanks for the feedback. We do have outdoor shower and never use it, but if we do, I'll take it off and cold weather. Thanks again
South Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #87
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Bird View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We do have outdoor shower and never use it, but if we do, I'll take it off and cold weather. Thanks again
If you never use the shower, consider putting upstream shutoff valves in the water feeds. That way, you could blow it out once, shut off the valves and never worry about it again.

I actually considered replacing ours with self-purging outdoor-style fixtures. But, we don't use ours, either, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote