Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 7 weeks on charging system

We just completed 7 weeks on the road with the first 5 weeks about 50/50 with shore power, last two with shore power.

Bottom line was that the battery check when we got home showed the batteries to have used only a little over 1/2 the available water, and specific gravity check after a normal charge cycle from the shore charger showed them at 100% full and very even between cells. Basically identical to what they checked when we left. No need to equalize.

It appears that getting a good, full shore charge (or solar) every 3-5 days is plenty good enough to keep the batteries in good shape for a very long time. Low water use but all the way full would indicate that there wasn't over or under charge very often.

Based on this test, I wouldn't hesitate to put in AGMs in the future, as they would stay in good shape, also. You can't really check the condition of AGMs very well, so the you have to rely on the system doing it right.

By comparison, the original Tripplite would leave the batteries at about 80% full by specific gravity after only 2 weeks on the road, and a shore power charge upon returning, thus needing an equalization.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 7 weeks on charging system

Thanks for reminding me to check my water. I've never gotten that heavy into my batteries other than adding water . They all seem to last year 6 years but maybe I could squeeze a couple more out of them. Thanks for the info.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote