Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 92 Pleasure-Way Inverter

Hello again all. So I finally had some time to get some work done on the B. The last thread I posted was that the battery was installed but not charging. I looked all over the place and couldn't find the charger/inverter.

Today I replaced the battery terminals, and found the image below. Is that it? It's in the engine compartment under the battery and all three wires are cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150811_161200811.jpg (93.9 KB, 32 views)
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That looks like an isolator. The wires have been cut away so I guess it failed at some point and wasn't replaced.

The converter/charger is usually inside the coach somewhere. Often it was part of the "electrical" box. Have you found AC breakers and DC fuses inside the coach? the older units were often all-in-one charger, AC panel & DC fuses.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here's an isolator: 90A Battery Isolator | Princess Auto

That one is rated 90 amp. I'd get one that is the same amp rating as your alternator.

This style of isolator: 12V Dual Battery Isolator | Princess Auto would be an upgrade. That's what I have in my van now.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

So if I get this correctly, the isolator leads to the converter/charger?

Quote:
Have you found AC breakers and DC fuses inside the coach? the older units were often all-in-one charger, AC panel & DC fuses.
Yes I know where that is, I didn't suspect it would be part of that. I will dismantle as soon as I can and continue on this quest.

Makes me wonder why it was cut though. I also didn't see any of the other ends of the wiring so either they were cut back or the isolator was replaced and put somewhere else.

Thanks for the replies.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
So if I get this correctly, the isolator leads to the converter/charger?
No, the wire would come from the alternator and then one goes to the engine battery and one goes to the house battery(ies).

The wire to the house battery might go to some common point that would also lead to the converter.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

I cant find where I ask the question only where to reply, so here goes, the microwave in my 92 pleasureway GMC doesnt power up and the 110 v outlets only work when the ac plug in to mains is used . I thought there would be an inverter on board . There must be a problem because microwave won’t work whether I’m accessed to mains or not.
Darshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Platinum Member

A '92 Pleasure-Way would have come with a Converter not an Inverter. That means that you'd only be able to power the microwave oven when plugged in or if running a generator.

Check the circuit breakers at the electrical panel to see if any have tripped and need to be reset.

If that doesn't solve it then find the outlet that the microwave oven is plugged into. When the van is plugged into the grid (mains) plug something else into the microwave oven outlet to see if that item works. If it works then you'll have narrowed down the problem to being the microwave oven itself.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #8

Default Converter

[QUOTE=markopolo;98619] Thank you Markopolo, I did check fuses and breakers at the panel for the living area, all were good, whether or not the microwave/outlet works the other outlets for tv and nearby area both work and there is a switched 12v cig/jack where I will use a plugin inverter to run tv when not plugged in to grid, if you forsee any problems with this choice please advise, otherwise thanks again.
Darshan is offline   Reply With Quote